Need help. No quality bar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There's nothing in the way. The dish looks "offset degrees" up from the perpendicular of the face of the dish. You should be able to tweak the dish around, up/down and find it. (looking at dishpointer, I'd say you're very close in aim, I got Elevation:30.9° Azimuth: 149.7°) If you can't get Q, I'd be suspecting the 360. Have you ever had Q before, or after, loading the FW? Or with this LNBF? FWIW- Is it a single piece of coax, receiver to lnbf? Guess, if it was me, I'd be grabbin' my other, known working, receiver and LNBF, if I couldn't find it in 20 to 30 minutes.

Q is always zero. I heard it takes 30 secs to get the signal? I got the coax running from the LNB and then connecting it to a coax cable on the outside wall. Then I connected the receiver to the wall plate.

Q is always zero. I heard it takes 30 secs to get the signal? I got the coax running from the LNB and then connecting it to a coax cable on the outside wall. Then I connected the receiver to the wall plate.

When things are setup correctly you should see signal in no more than a second or two.

Excuse me if I am wrong here....but are you attempting to set this up from inside your house? You up on the roof moving the dish and someone else inside watching the meter maybe?

Did you install the coax that goes from your outside wall to your wall plate? Or is it there from an old Directv/Dish install? If you didn't install it, you really don't know what you have there.

I know your dish is on your roof, and it wont be easy, but you need to take your receiver and a small tv up to your dish and hook it up directly to your LNBF. One way or the other, try running ONE continuous piece of coax that you KNOW is good, directly from your receiver to your LNBF, and try that.

When things are setup correctly you should see signal in no more than a second or two.

Excuse me if I am wrong here....but are you attempting to set this up from inside your house? You up on the roof moving the dish and someone else inside watching the meter maybe?

Did you install the coax that goes from your outside wall to your wall plate? Or is it there from an old Directv/Dish install? If you didn't install it, you really don't know what you have there.

I know your dish is on your roof, and it wont be easy, but you need to take your receiver and a small tv up to your dish and hook it up directly to your LNBF. One way or the other, try running ONE continuous piece of coax that you KNOW is good, directly from your receiver to your LNBF, and try that.

So this is a brand new house. I assume the wall plate works because before we had cable internet running through it.

So this is a brand new house. I assume the wall plate works because before we had cable internet running through it.

The only way you are ever going to know for sure if that is causing you problems or not is to take it completely out of the equation. It could be fine, and then again, that set-up could have worked for cable internet, and it might not work for your satellite reception. Do you know what kind of cable that is in your wall? Is it RG-6? What about the connectors, are you sure that they will pass the needed frequency? I would do what phlatwound told you to and either get a small television set and your receiver up there on the roof, or get a single piece of coax and run to the receiver where it is now. That will be the only way you are ever going to be able to eliminate the cable as a problem.

But, the question is, do you know what's inside the wall? NO. One piece of coax that YOU run between LNBF and receiver. And all the unknown variables are removed.

Is your dish a round dish or an offset dish. If it is offset then all you have to set is your elevation and for your area that would be around 35.42. You have to aim at your southern most satelite if not you won't be in the arc. Do you have a signal meter. A reasonbly good meter doesn't worry about tp settings if your close it will let you know then you can tweek the dish.

If your dish is round then there are 2 settings you have to concern yourself with. Elevation and declination and for your area your elevation would be 48.2 degrees and your declination would be 6.38 degrees. So once you set your elevation add the declination to your elevation and this is the tilt of your dish. The best way to do this is put a board across the face of the dish from top to bottom and using a protractor set the tilt to 54.58 degrees. You still have to set up on your southern most satelite.

Good Luck

Alright guys. So I ended up having to pay a guy to set it up for me. He couldn't do motorized but what we did was put the motor on and aimed for Galaxy 19. I think the quality bar is 80-90% now. Here is my current set up:

Motor latitude: 48
Dish elevation: 15
Skew: negative (LNB has no marking so I don't know how much)
Motor: 0

So my question is now I can aim for any other satellite right?

Ah.
Short answer is No, you can not drive the Dish around and pick up other Sats.
With the Motor at Zero, it should be pointing to directly South.

Attachments

• Dishpointer.jpg
    Dishpointer.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 109
Hotshot, you haven't really given us many details about your dish.
Can you post a few pics?

Is it new, or used? Can you verify the LNB is at the focal point?

I've used three 1"sq. plastic mirrors with magnetic tape stuck to their backs,
placed them at various points on the pan, covered the LNB with tinfoil and
pointed the dish at the Sun to see where the reflections landed.
If the dish's geometry is correct, each mirror's reflection will hit the focal point.
This is where the LNB must be.

This reminds me of the "solar outage" method to do your aiming.
At a particular time of day, the Sun will be behind a certain satellite.
With an offset dish, you'll need to aim it a bit high to get the LNB's shadow to fall
on the bottom-center of the pan. At the right time, line up the shadow, snug up
the post clamp, tilt the dish onto the signal, record the number on the elev. scale.

Just some thoughts, they've worked for me.

The azimuth for given satellite can also be determined by using Sun, and some data from Naval Observatory, on any day, not only on "solar outage".
A piece of string or shoelace can be duct-taped to the LNB and the centre top of the dish. At certain hour and minute, when the Sun is at the same azimuth as chosen satellite, the dish should be rotated so the shadow of the shoelace would be in the centre of the bottom of the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts