Need Help On LNB Type And Switches

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blue Crystal

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I couldn't get my bud to work. Big challenge for a beginner. Think I will back down to a 33 to 36 inch dish and then go for the challenge.
I want to eventually run 4 receivers off the same satellite. I understand that can't be done on a BUD.
I have a general understand of the difference between LNBs, as far as linear, universal, and circular.

QUESTION?

In order to run 4 receivers off of one satellite do I need to start with a single or dual LNB.

And

if 4 receivers off one sat is possible what type of switch or switches do I need.

My receiver is a used Pansat 2500A

I was trying out an old echostar 7 lnb that was on the dish back in the day. I couldn't find a signal. Could be the LNB or "Me". I should up-grade the lnb and was using a pansat 2500 for the receiver.
I tried to set it on a true south reading, but not sure on elevation. I will need to get an instrument to make sure. Just thought it would be easier to maybe start with a smaller dish set up, where the adjustments seem easier .

Which sat are you aiming for?
Dish LNBs are for "Circular" Sats - anything Echostar or Nimiq
FTA Sats use a "Linear" signal, so you need a "Linear" LNB.

I was just trying sats at random and was hitting the signal button and could not get a reading . The manual is a little hard to understand. So, I may not have being testing it properly. I think maybe my biggest problem, may be the dish set up. I pointed the dish straight at due south. I locked down the mount and the elevation. (elev more of a guess) At this point the actuator could only move the dish directly to the east or to the west. Wasn't sure whether i needed to enter a particular sat, so this is where I would hit the signal button while I would move the dish. I moved the dish by using a go kart battery. Never could get a signal reading.

I missed that you were talking about a BUD w/ old Echostar LNB

Can you list your Equip and Location?

Are you using a receiver or meter to set up with?

To run multiple Receivers on a BUD, you will need at least a Dual Output / Backstacked LNBF.
How are you going to drive the BUD?
Are you planning both C & Ku Band or just C Band?

If nothing else, for your elevation / declination setting, buy a 10 cent plastic protractor and tie a piece of kite string to the hole and weight the other end of the string with something heavy (like a nut).
Use that on your polar mount to find your angle.
Once you get your true south satellite and you are certain your elevation / declination are good, start moving east-west... this is where you can tell if your mount is set true north/south and adjust for that.
What's your lat/long?

For the basics of setting up your BUD, give these three pages of the Geo-Orbit site a good read.
The style of the site may look ancient, but it's got everything ya need to know and understand to aim or operate a BUD.

Some relevant Questions:
As for running four FTA receivers, that's another matter.
Are they all going to be DVB receivers like your Fortec?
Do you need Ku as well as C-band on the BUD (bigger complication to do four receivers).
Do you need both V and H polarities for each receiver (when the dish in on a particular bird)?
You do know it may not be possible (or certainly not easy) to get more than one receiver to control dish-aiming?

My dish is a 10ft "Perfect 10" prime focus. It has an old Echo Star 7 LNB. Was using a receiver to try to set up. The receiver is a Pansat 2500A. I hope to receive C and Ku band . I 'm located in central Fl.
I was just looking at another LNB set up I aquired about 20 years ago. It is Ku band made by Super Hemt model 9000KU 950-1450 MHZ . It has attached a Drake "Low Noise Block" amp. A servo motor is in between and a coax cable is attached to each piece. My receiver does not have a place to connect both of those coax cables.
Inside the throat of the feed horn is two different polarity probes, if I am calling it correctly.

Sorry, On Dial-up got bumped off.

Only will run 1 receiver on the BUD and would like both polarities. When I upgrade Lnb I will probably get the BSC 621, like Lak 7, and move the box with a Vbox
When I do set up the 4 receiver system with a 2nd dish I will probably only have 1 room to be where I do any dish aiming.

Just to keep the information in the right place, you should have it set on that satellite.
But in reality, as long as you have the transponder information correct you should see a signal.
I use the 621 feedhorn. Be aware that getting C & Ku dialed in together on the 621 is a bugger.
I've been tweaking on mine for a couple months now... for more info: http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...152862-help-setup-10ft-dish-using-bsc621.html

For getting your BUD aimed - stick with Cband for now. Then, go back and dial in Ku from there.

Is B4 receivable from his location?

You need to have one of the Satellite's Active Transponders selected in the receiver's TP list.
You are looking for a "Quality" reading.
Signal "Strength" just indicates that there is power getting to the LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)