need help please...

LH4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
so i realized that there is a post like this already, but i wasnt sure if the tv made aa difference... so here's my dilemma...

i just bought a neww Samsung LCD HDTV model # LNT3242H. it's a 720p. now i didn't realize that that is the new standard definition... but does that mean the HD DVD/BR Players will be useless on it? is there a big difference between them and a regular dvd player? also, i was looking at a Samsung Upconverting DVD Player.... would that give the same results? (that i would notice)

also, Would it be worth it to buy an HD Cable box to go with it? is there a big diffeence with that and a regular one?

Thansk for any help :)

720p is HD resolution. 1080p is just a higher one. HD and BR players will look amazing on your tv, much better than a DVD player and they have their own upconverting hardware that is usually better than a normal upconverting DVD player.
An HD box with HD programming would also look great. HD programming from sat or cable only goes up to 1080i and will likely never get up to 1080p. For fast motion though I set my box to 720p so the picture is better for sports and fast motion. HD disc players do go as high as 1080p but some only do 1080i and for your tv it is all you need. You will save about 100$ as well. The HD-A3 is on sale right now for 180$ and is a great HD-DVD player if that is the format you choose.
Use HDMI or component to connect since component can also handle 720p. Cnet has some great posts about the differences in resolution
720p vs. 1080p HDTV: The final word - Fully Equipped - CNET reviews
HDTV resolution explained - HDTV World - CNET.com

Basically, for TVs 50" and smaller, and when you are 8' or more from the screen, you won't notice the difference between the two resolutions. A 32" TV that you have, you would need to be within a foot or so of it to notice, and even then it would be hard. We have a Samsung 5054, 50" and sit more than 8' from the screen, and our eyes aren't that good, so we can't really tell the difference. I suppose if we had both next to each other we could notice some things but 720p is all we need.

Thanks :) . so then i guess there's no point in getting an upconverting DVD player if i already have a regular dvd player. ill just wait to get a High Def one... so you oculd get a 720p for cheapeR?

the 720p HD-DVD player the HD-A3 is 179$ right now at Amazon and you get 10 free HD-DVDs. It also does upconverting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts