Need Help ps3 & new router

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
Ok so i replaced my router with a new linksys router as my old router was old and i wasnt able to take full advantage of my 30/5 internet connection. Also about once a week or more I would have to reset the router as one or more of my devices wouldnt be able to connect. Now that I have the linksys i get a better connection and do not have to reset the router however i keep having a problem with the ps3 i will let me log in but the it keeps kicking me out giving me a server error message. Its really starting to piss me off because I am playing rockband and it will not post my scores to the leaderboard. it keeps showing that i havent beat the song when i have.

Also i go into due a test on the network now it shows i can get an ip address, internet connection succeded then it fails on playstation network, saying it timed out.

I know what your talking about. There's an option in the linksys router settings that you can turn off. Go into administration then management in the router page. There is an option there to turn off UPnP. Try turning that off it worked for me. Also you can dmz the ps3 in there as well. I'v done both and don't have a problem with it anymore. Hope this helps.

i turned off the UPnP. i tried again the connection test the first 3times i was gettin a nat type 3 error message. and it showed UPnP not available, then on the 4th time i got UPnP available and a nat 2 connection. I didnt change anything with the router so why would my UPnP change and my NAT type?

tried it a 5th time now it went back to UPnP not available and NAT 3. grrr this is really starting to piss me off. I hope its nothing with the ps3 itself as I was playing rock band last night and a couple of time it would freeze for a second or two then go again.

tried it a 5th time now it went back to UPnP not available and NAT 3. grrr this is really starting to piss me off. I hope its nothing with the ps3 itself as I was playing rock band last night and a couple of time it would freeze for a second or two then go again.

Need more info to tell.

Are you running wireless. If so turn OFF ssid broadcast. Seems the PS3 and/or Linksys routers have a problem when the PS3 sees the broadcast. Actually the security recommendation is to have it off anyway.

Depending on your ISP connection you may have to put your PS3 in a DMZ rather then relying on UPnP.

i have it set to the correct ssid, i figured out the dmz and got that so that it show a nat 2 connection. however for what ever reason i still get disconnect from the playstation network. i can do a connection test and will show i have an ip address and internet connection but sometimes i can connect to the playstation and other times it just fails.

I had the exact same problem. Do the port forward per the guide at the port forwarding website and you shoud be good to go. Also make sure the firm ware is current on the router.

For me there was a simple setting called "gaming mode" on my D-Link that solved the problem.

Not sure if Linksys has the same option or not...

I had the exact same problem. Do the port forward per the guide at the port forwarding website and you shoud be good to go. Also make sure the firm ware is current on the router.

i checked that website but didnt have the correct version of my router its the wrt54g v8

i checked that website but didnt have the correct version of my router its the wrt54g v8

The ports don't change and the basic work on all wrt54g router's (mine is an older version).

However, if you use DMZ, then you can ignore the ports. It is more secure to do the port fowarding, but it doesn't always work. In my case because of my model DSL modem used to connected to verizon, IT DOES NOT WORK. Essentially I have to turn off the Firewall in the DSL modem (it has one too), and put my PS3 in the DMZ(otherwise it ends up as type 3).

It is important to make sure your router has recent code (I think a v8 will have very recent code, but I didn't check Linksys's site). As mentioned SSID BROADCAST IS recommended off both because of how it effects the PS3 and for security reasons. Turning off SSID broadcast corrects a problem with disconnects/reconnects that occur about every 10 seconds. Try to see if UPnP works, if so you do not have to do port fowarding. Try portforwarding next. Then try DMZ (the PS3 is believed to be very safe if you don't run Linux) even running in a DMZ.

I have the ssid broadcast on, i did this with my old belkin router and never had a problem with the ps3 disconnecting. and i do not run linux on it right now i have it in dmz

I have the ssid broadcast on, i did this with my old belkin router and never had a problem with the ps3 disconnecting. and i do not run linux on it right now i have it in dmz
The problem seems to be with the PS3 talking to the linksys when ssid broadcast is on.

The security reason for turning off SSID broadcast is that others can see your router and then try to logon. Hopefully you still have other measures in effect to stop them, but why give them an edge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts