PS3 vs. 360?

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 360 or PS3. My son already has a 360 but he will not let me near the thing. I mainly play sports games or war games like battlefield2. I'm interested in the PS3 because of the Bluray and well we already have a 360 in the house. Also I do not like the way Micro$oft forces you to pay for online gaming. However I'm worried about how long the PS3 will be around. Thank you for your advice. :up Also I know as soon as I buy one there will be a price drop!

Last edited:
I expect the sports games to be identical this year given another year has passed to refine the development process on the PS3, so if that is your only selling point gamewise then get a PS3 since there is already a 360 in the house.

Perhaps getting a PS3 will free up the 360 a bit for you to use.

The PS3 isn't going anywhere, success or otherwise, and given the last year, it can only get better.

As far as the online gaming goes...you get what you pay for....

XBL is hands done the best (although not perfect) and it is well worth the $50.00 a year IMO

Very true, you get a lot for $50. It's worth it. I was considering getting a PS3 for a long time, but now am wanting a 360 because of the great titles that are out for it, and the really complete online support.

I expect the sports games to be identical this year given another year has passed to refine the development process on the PS3, so if that is your only selling point gamewise then get a PS3 since there is already a 360 in the house.

Perhaps getting a PS3 will free up the 360 a bit for you to use.

The PS3 isn't going anywhere, success or otherwise, and given the last year, it can only get better.

Not True

EA 'tech. support' explains PS3 Madden frame rate issues - Joystiq

Maybe next year EA will give a damn :D

I would probably base my opinion on how long you actually plan to have the system and what you intend to do with it. If your main concern is lifespan, you should probably consider going w/the PS3. Its younger and stronger than the 360. It also houses a Blu-ray player, which at this point looks to be the winner in the next gen DVD war. All systems, regardless of brand usually have a lifespan of about 5yrs. After 5yrs, there's always something else on the horizon. Right now, the 360 has a hold on Sony's machine because the developers have had a longer time to figure the hardware, so...more games and better looking/playing than PS3. So...right now, the choice should be 360But, if you're going to drop close to $400-500 on a system/accessories/games, you might wanna plan for the future. What about this coming holiday? When PS3 is will be edging closer and closer in terms of game library...also since the hardware is stronger than the 360, it won't be too long before the games themselves are superior to Microsoft's machine. Add that to eventual Blu-ray dominence and the choice seems to be...for the present...360...for the future...PS3.

I would probably base my opinion on how long you actually plan to have the system and what you intend to do with it. If your main concern is lifespan, you should probably consider going w/the PS3. Its younger and stronger than the 360. It also houses a Blu-ray player, which at this point looks to be the winner in the next gen DVD war. All systems, regardless of brand usually have a lifespan of about 5yrs. After 5yrs, there's always something else on the horizon. Right now, the 360 has a hold on Sony's machine because the developers have had a longer time to figure the hardware, so...more games and better looking/playing than PS3. So...right now, the choice should be 360But, if you're going to drop close to $400-500 on a system/accessories/games, you might wanna plan for the future. What about this coming holiday? When PS3 is will be edging closer and closer in terms of game library...also since the hardware is stronger than the 360, it won't be too long before the games themselves are superior to Microsoft's machine. Add that to eventual Blu-ray dominence and the choice seems to be...for the present...360...for the future...PS3.

again not true. Graphics Ati R500 Vs the Nvidia core + Cell help is equal. Memory is better handled on the 360.
Sony did a solid with blue ray (since they managed to win this time)

The triple core 2 process per core = 6 instructions
The 7 SPE's on the cell do 1 each = 7

Both are near equal speed.

If anything they are equivalent machines with maybe the edge given with BD included only. (Blue Dragon on 360 has 3 disks and Lost Odyssey has 4. I don't mind changing them but *shrug*)

But please quit drinking the Koolaid It rots the teeth.

Actually I will give one other nod to Sony though. At least their hardware doesn't feature a 33% failure rate, He he :p

again not true. Graphics Ati R500 Vs the Nvidia core + Cell help is equal. Memory is better handled on the 360.
Sony did a solid with blue ray (since they managed to win this time)

The triple core 2 process per core = 6 instructions
The 7 SPE's on the cell do 1 each = 7

Both are near equal speed.

If anything they are equivalent machines with maybe the edge given with BD included only. (Blue Dragon on 360 has 3 disks and Lost Odyssey has 4. I don't mind changing them but *shrug*)

But please quit drinking the Koolaid It rots the teeth.

Actually I will give one other nod to Sony though. At least their hardware doesn't feature a 33% failure rate, He he :p

I want to thank everyone for their opinions. There is one more question I would like to ask. Is there a big difference in HD quality from a HDMI port of the component connections (not the RCA jacks but those new blue and green things)? I have my computer connected with a LCDHDTV using the HDMI slot and the TV only has one. Also it only supports up to 720p. Are there really that many 1080i games right now?

Longivity and the bluray is making me lean towards a PS3. However I'm scared Sony will abandon it if it doesn't start selling better. I'm old enough to remember the Atari vs. Intellivision war and all though the Atari was technologically inferior to the Intellivision it last from what 1977 - 1986 just because of all the games!

Longivity and the bluray is making me lean towards a PS3. However I'm scared Sony will abandon it if it doesn't start selling better. I'm old enough to remember the Atari vs. Intellivision war and all though the Atari was technologically inferior to the Intellivision it last from what 1977 - 1986 just because of all the games!

I'm not sure why Sony would think of abandoning the PS3, as it is still one of the best blu-ray players out there. Also the PS3 is selling better than ever! One of the discussions earlier about the PS3's online capability not up to par with the 360's... This might have been true 6 months ago, but it is definitely not now. I have a PS3 and have never encountered any problems online at all.

Pretty much this sums it up: get an X-box 360 now if you want to have fun for about a year, and then realize that you want a PS3... or get a PS3 and be done with it.

I want to thank everyone for their opinions. There is one more question I would like to ask. Is there a big difference in HD quality from a HDMI port of the component connections (not the RCA jacks but those new blue and green things)? I have my computer connected with a LCDHDTV using the HDMI slot and the TV only has one. Also it only supports up to 720p. Are there really that many 1080i games right now?

you will want to use HDMI for the 1080p support on either system. Good place to purchase one is www.monoprice.com. will cost you less than 10 shipped.

You must on some joking if you think sony is going to abandon the ship.
Do you know what the playstation is?
Do you know how long they been in this business for?
Thats right over a decade.
They didn't came all the way down here to just abandon the ship.
You may want to do your homework before you make a thread like this if you think the company is just going to jump out of the ship.
Yes I may sound rude, but damn man...

Read my post in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/video-game-reviews-discussions/122351-ps3-worth-buying.html

Also some other things, sony is doing great, they are getting close to the 360 hardware sales, hopefully in the next 1-2 years they will be identical in hardware sales.

It all comes down to what games you want to play.
I got both systems, and I am happy with my investment, I get to play all the games I want, I did not limit myself to 1 system.
If you don't believe sony is going to be in this business (which they been very successful for the past decade) then the PS3 is not for you, if you don't believe in something then don't.
For example:
I believed in blu-ray and look at them, they are doing great... Playstation 3 is second to none, its a great system, and it will be there until and supported until the next gen systems come out.

PS: this is the 2nd thread you made regarding this issue.

I'm not sure why Sony would think of abandoning the PS3, as it is still one of the best blu-ray players out there. Also the PS3 is selling better than ever! One of the discussions earlier about the PS3's online capability not up to par with the 360's... This might have been true 6 months ago, but it is definitely not now. I have a PS3 and have never encountered any problems online at all.

Pretty much this sums it up: get an X-box 360 now if you want to have fun for about a year, and then realize that you want a PS3... or get a PS3 and be done with it.

....... above poster is absolutely clueless.

Get a PS3 if you love Japanese games and first party games such as God of war.

If you like the MS IP's such as Halo get that.

In fact pick up a 360 now then when the price drops on PS3 again pick one of those up and just enjoy gaming in its fullest.

....... above poster is absolutely clueless.

Get a PS3 if you love Japanese games and first party games such as God of war.

If you like the MS IP's such as Halo get that.

In fact pick up a 360 now then when the price drops on PS3 again pick one of those up and just enjoy gaming in its fullest.

Clueless?

Not you Ice though I will say you hit the bottle to much some times. :D

I am talking about the guy that thinks the 360 will be defunk in 1 years time.

I see.

Both systems are equal and great, it comes down to exclusivity.

If you can only buy 1 system go with the system that offers all the games you want, other than that, if you are a true gamer, you shouldn't limit yourself to 1 system.
I went 360/PS3 because of the exclusive games.
I wanted 360 for GoW/Halo/DoA/Forza and few other exclusive games they offer.
I wanted a PS3 because of DMC4 (now on both systems) MGS4/FFXIII/Killzone 2/ Socom/ RFoM/ Rachet & Clank/ and few other exclusives...

I agree xbox live is better, but they charge for every damn thing including wallpapers, where you can get it from the PS3 store for free...but hey, I will not compare the PS3 online to xbox live because they are different, both support 1 common purpose and that is online gaming and they are great for that.
Now if you get picky and you want the most out of the whole live experience then Live may be fore you..
thats my 2 cents.

The PS3 isn't going anywhere...unlike Atari and Intellivision, Sony has their hands in several other entities besides gaming. Meaning, their profit margin is not "game driven". What they are not making up in hardware sales, they are making in the movie, music, electronics industries. With that said, there's no chance they will fail like a company who lives and dies by gaming. I agree if you can afford both...get both...but if that were the case...why would anyone be asking the question you are asking. 360 is the system to get for instant gratification...while PS3 is not as far a long as the 360, its future seems extremely bright. Either way, if you haven't had a chance to experience either/or within the last year or two...chances are you'll be quite happy with whichever system you choose...

The PS3 isn't going anywhere...unlike Atari and Intellivision, Sony has their hands in several other entities besides gaming. Meaning, their profit margin is not "game driven". What they are not making up in hardware sales, they are making in the movie, music, electronics industries. With that said, there's no chance they will fail like a company who lives and dies by gaming. I agree if you can afford both...get both...but if that were the case...why would anyone be asking the question you are asking. 360 is the system to get for instant gratification...while PS3 is not as far a long as the 360, its future seems extremely bright. Either way, if you haven't had a chance to experience either/or within the last year or two...chances are you'll be quite happy with whichever system you choose...

First of all I am not referring to you, its towards igator99.
I do not understand this guy.

Why would you think they will fail in gaming?
PS3 is no 2$ crappy company that would just make the PS3 just for blu-ray movies and other entertainment systems and bail out on you and that thought is just stupid...your discussion has no ground here.

PS3 is no 2$ crappy company that would just make the PS3 just for blu-ray movies and other entertainment systems and bail out on you and that thought is just stupid...your discussion has no ground here.

You act like you own stock in Sony. I wanted a honest pros and cons. I read some place by googling the mention of a PS4! You know it must be true if you read it on the internet.:) I want to thank you and the others for your input. I'm really leaning towards the PS3 simply because of the Blu Ray and the potential for gaming. What about the connections and HD? My HDLCDTV only has one HDMI input and that is what I use for the computer and I want to keep it that way. Is there a big difference between that connection and a component connection for HD gaming? Are there many HD games out there? My TV only goes up to 720p.

I was responding to the guy that was remembering the Atari vs. Intellivision systems as he was fearful that perhaps Sony's machine would reach the same demise. I was pointing out the fact that Sony's pockets are much deeper and diverse than someone who is exclusively in the gaming industry...ie., Atari in the 80s. I was actually saying that there was no chance that Sony's system would fall into the same trap because of how strong they are finanically...perhaps I should've worded it different...or maybe drew you a picture...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts