PS3 vs. 360?

I do not understand this guy.

Why would you think they will fail in gaming?
PS3 is no 2$ crappy company that would just make the PS3 just for blu-ray movies and other entertainment systems and bail out on you and that thought is just stupid...your discussion has no ground here.

Just as much as I smile when stupid executive officers fail, I will agree with Ice Sony and MS are not going anywhere any time soon.

And there is enough market for both to be extremely profitable. I will own a PS3 when the games I like come out for it (mainly Squarsoft titles).

I have gotten enough over my own prejudices to say the machines are equal. Others really need to look at the data and realize the same.

Basically in the end it is about enjoyment. Buy the system that has the games you like and you will be happy :D

You act like you own stock in Sony. I wanted a honest pros and cons. I read some place by googling the mention of a PS4! You know it must be true if you read it on the internet.:) I want to thank you and the others for your input. I'm really leaning towards the PS3 simply because of the Blu Ray and the potential for gaming. What about the connections and HD? My HDLCDTV only has one HDMI input and that is what I use for the computer and I want to keep it that way. Is there a big difference between that connection and a component connection for HD gaming? Are there many HD games out there? My TV only goes up to 720p.

I don't act, I know gaming because I am a gamer.
I started in the old Nintendo/Sega/Playstation days...and moved to PC/PS2/xbox and now upgraded all my systems to new PC/PS3/Xbox 360.
You can buy a PS3 for only 400$...I hope it doesn't break most peoples banks...because its very cheap for what you get.

Most games out there are 720p, I don't recall a game developed for full 1080p, yes it may say its 1080p compatible but no game that I think of was made in 1080p...look at halo 3, it was 640p?
All games for the PS3/360 are in HD.
If you compare component HD gaming to composite, you won't believe what you see...Its like comparing 1950's TV PQ to 2008's PQ..thats how much difference there is between non hd gaming and hd gaming.

Since your link talks about the previous/current versions of the games, I'm not sure what your point is. The post you quoted was talking about the coming year, I assume, since the OP hasn't yet bought a system....

igator - if you haven't figured it out yet, akodoreign doesn't think much of the PS3...

I agree with what most everyone has said... the key differentiator at this point is Blu-Ray support, which is absolutely worth it if you have an HDTV - apart from that, go with the one that has the exclusives you want.....

Since your link talks about the previous/current versions of the games, I'm not sure what your point is. The post you quoted was talking about the coming year, I assume, since the OP hasn't yet bought a system....

igator - if you haven't figured it out yet, akodoreign doesn't think much of the PS3...

I agree with what most everyone has said... the key differentiator at this point is Blu-Ray support, which is absolutely worth it if you have an HDTV - apart from that, go with the one that has the exclusives you want.....

You fail again. I just said 2 posts ago both systems are equal. And with that LINK I said EA failed NOT SONY.

You are the one being biased. Not meh. I said buy the system that had the games you like and purchase the other down the road.

The only thing I do anymore is remind the Sony crowd that they almost failed because the arrogance of their executive officers, who were fired and replaced, and now with the 40 gig sku Sony is doing much better. But I have also in many threads pointed out MS' weaknesses including a 33% hardware failure. I have never heard you say anything bad about your biased system. So Nah *yes I have been drinking and I feel awnrey*

You fail again. I just said 2 posts ago both systems are equal. And with that LINK I said EA failed NOT SONY.

You are the one being biased. Not meh. I said buy the system that had the games you like and purchase the other down the road.

The only thing I do anymore is remind the Sony crowd that they almost failed because the arrogance of their executive officers, who were fired and replaced and now with the 40 gig sku Sony is doing much better. But I have also in many threads pointed out MS' weaknesses including a 33% hardware failure. I have never heard you say anything bad about your biased system. So Nah *yes I have been drinking and I feel awnrey*

Since I didn't say anything good or bad about either system (except for the bit about Blu-Ray, which is hard to dispute), I'm not sure how I'm being biased - except maybe against you, but I have quite a bit of historical evidence to back that up...

Your link was meant to indicate that there would be a problem with this year's EA games, but offered no proof of that.

Yes, I have a PS3. Yes, I've always been a Playstation guy. But I don't bash the 360, and I didn't here. I think Sony's made plenty of mistakes with the PS3, but I'm perfectly happy with mine.

At any rate, we've now completely hijacked the original intent of this thread, so the OP, I apologize.

I don't act, I know gaming because I am a gamer.
I started in the old Nintendo/Sega/Playstation days...and moved to PC/PS2/xbox and now upgraded all my systems to new PC/PS3/Xbox 360.
You can buy a PS3 for only 400$...I hope it doesn't break most peoples banks...because its very cheap for what you get.

Most games out there are 720p, I don't recall a game developed for full 1080p, yes it may say its 1080p compatible but no game that I think of was made in 1080p...look at halo 3, it was 640p?
All games for the PS3/360 are in HD.
If you compare component HD gaming to composite, you won't believe what you see...Its like comparing 1950's TV PQ to 2008's PQ..thats how much difference there is between non hd gaming and hd gaming.

Thank you. When you are saying component you are talking about those red, white and yellow jacks not the newer colored ones that I believe are what you call composite (You know the ones the first Xbox 360's had instead of the HDMI connection). Like I said my HDMI port on the TV is taken by my computer. So if I understand you correctly I will get HD and be more than happy with the component connection leaving my PC in the HDMI port on my tv. Thanks again for all the info. BTW I'm an old timer gamer. I remember pong on a sears system, the fairchild and the Odyssey!:)

Since I didn't say anything good or bad about either system (except for the bit about Blu-Ray, which is hard to dispute), I'm not sure how I'm being biased - except maybe against you, but I have quite a bit of historical evidence to back that up...

Your link was meant to indicate that there would be a problem with this year's EA games, but offered no proof of that.

Yes, I have a PS3. Yes, I've always been a Playstation guy. But I don't bash the 360, and I didn't here. I think Sony's made plenty of mistakes with the PS3, but I'm perfectly happy with mine.

At any rate, we've now completely hijacked the original intent of this thread, so the OP, I apologize.

You also have historical evidence of me backing off of that and being pretty neutral Including bashing of my own system many times. But did not take that into count when making your post.

You tried to discredit everything I said with a broad statement and did not give me any credit for even saying things like I give the nod to sony for not having a 33% failure rate and BD since the format one.

That is being biased period. and really does not add to the posts at all except to make a personal attack. Where I was giving solid evidence that the 2 previous generations of Madden were not up to snuff and said Maybe EA would care this year. (that does not mean that they will or will not).

You sir have a problem.

And to the OP sorry for dragging this out like this. Get the system that makes you happy :up

Thank you. When you are saying component you are talking about those red, white and yellow jacks not the newer colored ones that I believe are what you call composite (You know the ones the first Xbox 360's had instead of the HDMI connection). Like I said my HDMI port on the TV is taken by my computer. So if I understand you correctly I will get HD and be more than happy with the component connection leaving my PC in the HDMI port on my tv. Thanks again for all the info. BTW I'm an old timer gamer. I remember pong on a sears system, the fairchild and the Odyssey!:)

Component is good and supported for 1080p gaming from both systems, but if you want the extras such as up converting and BD play back at 1080p you will need to go to HDMI.

Monoprice.com sells a switch for HDMI for 19 bucks. Its what I use with my Older Sharp. Good investment.

I'd love to see a hybrid of 360 and PS3.

If the PS3 could do Windows Media Center Extender and have a better library I'd be 100% satisfied.

If the 360 had Blu-Ray and ran a bit quieter, I'd be 100% satisfied.

OK, i'd say buy a 360 now, enjoy it and the games your son probably already has for it, grab a gamefly membership, rent some of the games he has and play together.

In a year when the low end PS3 comes with a game and a rumble controller, Home will be 6 months into it's beta, and Blu-Ray has 100% studio support, pick one up then for less than you'd pay now.

Ice, you said Live had a leg up over PSN 6 months ago, but not now, what's changed since then? The single biggest miss for the PS3's community/online component is not being able to display the XMB during games. Not having access to friends, messages, being able to send game invites, voice chat, all independent of the game you are running seems superior to any of the functionality PSN appears to provide.

Cool thing for both consoles is Netflix is polling members asking if it'd be useful to view their rentals instantaneously on their PS3/360.

OK, i'd say buy a 360 now, enjoy it and the games your son probably already has for it, grab a gamefly membership, rent some of the games he has and play together.

In a year when the low end PS3 comes with a game and a rumble controller, Home will be 6 months into it's beta, and Blu-Ray has 100% studio support, pick one up then for less than you'd pay now.

Ice, you said Live had a leg up over PSN 6 months ago, but not now, what's changed since then? The single biggest miss for the PS3's community/online component is not being able to display the XMB during games. Not having access to friends, messages, being able to send game invites, voice chat, all independent of the game you are running seems superior to any of the functionality PSN appears to provide.

Cool thing for both consoles is Netflix is polling members asking if it'd be useful to view their rentals instantaneously on their PS3/360.

The PS3 will be there someday, but yeha, the xbox 360 is the ideal system for live...so much stuff, and much faster and easier..
Its all about the menu.

It is a tough choice but because of the Bluray I'm leaning towards the PS3. Have you ever checked out the Netflix download movie service? I looked into it for the PC but it appears to me they have a very limited selection of real grade B movies for download. I would be very interested in new releases and get the service.

I heard people say that the sports games for the PS3 from EA sports was basically repackaged PS2 games? Is this true?

It is a tough choice but because of the Bluray I'm leaning towards the PS3. Have you ever checked out the Netflix download movie service? I looked into it for the PC but it appears to me they have a very limited selection of real grade B movies for download. I would be very interested in new releases and get the service.

I heard people say that the sports games for the PS3 from EA sports was basically repackaged PS2 games? Is this true?

Not true, But they are developed first on the 360 at least the last 2 generations were then ported to the PS3. Which made them run less than up to snuff.

I hope for all sports fans they develop them individually this year :D

I broke my decision down to 3 main thinking points:
1) Which system has the "must have exclusives" that I want?
2) Do I really care about Blu-Ray?
3) Which offers better online play?

Think about those three, and how much weight each holds to you.

You also have historical evidence of me backing off of that and being pretty neutral Including bashing of my own system many times. But did not take that into count when making your post.

You tried to discredit everything I said with a broad statement and did not give me any credit for even saying things like I give the nod to sony for not having a 33% failure rate and BD since the format one.

That is being biased period. and really does not add to the posts at all except to make a personal attack. Where I was giving solid evidence that the 2 previous generations of Madden were not up to snuff and said Maybe EA would care this year. (that does not mean that they will or will not).

You sir have a problem.

And to the OP sorry for dragging this out like this. Get the system that makes you happy :up

You know what? You're right.

I apologize.

Thank you. When you are saying component you are talking about those red, white and yellow jacks not the newer colored ones that I believe are what you call composite (You know the ones the first Xbox 360's had instead of the HDMI connection).

You actually have it backwards. Component are red, green and blue for video and then red and white for audio. Composite is the older yellow for video cables - you DO NOT want to use composite for either system, as it will give you no HD capability (even though that's what comes in the box with the system - at least for the PS3). Component will work fine for games and Blu-Rays (if you get a PS3), but will not handle upconversion of DVD's. Does your TV have a VGA input you could use for your PC?

If you're at all interested in Blu-Ray, you probably want a PS3, unless you have the budget to get a 360 and a good stand-alone Blu-Ray player (probably at least $400-$500).

Akodoreign is right about the EA games - they haven't been as clean on the PS3 (mostly framerate issues), but they're still way better than their PS2 counterparts, at least in terms of visuals, and will only get better. I'd wait for the '09 versions (coming out this year) if you want them... also, if baseball is your thing, check out MLB 08: The Show if you get a PS3 - comes out next month, and it looks pretty cool. It's developed by Sony, so it's probably better than any of the other baseball games out there for the playstation brand...

I'll answer those personally, as a 360 owner:

1. Exclusives

- This goes a little deeper than just exclusives unfortunately. Excellent titles like Orange Box were simply ported over by a studio other than the one that produced the game and the result was a poor experience for PS3 owners. The EA games last year for the most part, even though they were to be similar/identical experiences ended up being far from that (360 60fps vs PS3 30fps). Exclusives are one thing, but these are big problems, and hopefully they are over with (DMC4... install stuff aside, is a good sign). Sadly, these are likely a publisher's fault, not the makers of games. With the post-November sales of the PS3 as good as they have been hopefully the system will receive a bit more respect and money thrown at it as it becomes clear that money will be returned via sales.

As far as actual exclusives, we'll see how they continue to play out. I believe the Halo series is over? I assume there will be a DMC5, will that be multi-console? Having not played some, I know there are some good ones out there on both sides... so would depend on your playstyle which hasn't really been addressed here.

2. Blu-Ray.

- You've mentioned this a number of times, but you don't want to connect via HDMI, so certainly not a super priority.

3. Better online play

- This really is dictated by the producers of the games. True, the 360 has a better more seamless online component, but if you just want to play COD4, you can surely log in, hit quick play or whatever, and you're in a game. From there I don't expect much of a difference, if anything the Playstation has a leg up since their online games generally support a few more players. This can be a good and a bad thing depending on the game's design. If, while you are playing a game, you want to be able to check on what friends are doing, chat or send messages with them, invite them to your game or invite them to yours, even when you're in different games, then this is something only the 360 offers.

Is there any other part of these systems that can help you make the decision? Online content perhaps? I'll let someone who has one go into what the PSN offers, but the 360 currently has more than 100 'Arcade' games, all with a trial version, most purchasable instantaneously for a few-to-several dollars. I expect demos of many titles are available for both systems online, and I believe Sony now has or is unveiling a video download service, but the Live Video Marketplace certainly has more deals with content providers at the moment.

Here's my take on it. I have 2 360s. Never really cared for Sony as a company. I also have an orginal xbox. For me the deciding factor was Xbox Live. All my friends have 360s. But, that 33% failure rate is in the back on my mind. I just sent one of my 360s off to get repaired. We'll see how long it lasts. I may end of sellng it when I get it back and buy a PS3.

Also, price will always tend to go down. You can always eventually go "platform neutral" with a competing console, when the price point reaches your comfort level.

Here's my advice from a new gamer... the PS3 is the best $400 I've ever spent. I bought it as a blu-ray player, but now use it more for gaming thanks to exclusives like Ratchet&Clank and Uncharted. There seem to be dozens more games I'd like to play if I had the time/money. It's also a fine upconverting DVD player and media center... all in one. I use my one HDMI connection for the PS3, but at one time when I thought I might also get an HD DVD player, I knew I could get the special PS3 component cable (it's not the standard one) for $19.99, only losing the players upconverting capabilities, while still getting games and BD in 1080i HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)