Need Help: Tailgating and Locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WERPSU

Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
SEPA
Good evening all....

I've been searching old threads for a few hours now, but am still just as confused as I was when I started.

I'm trying a satellite setup at my tailgate for the first time ever and am trying to figure out if I will be able to get ANY locals while tailgating.

I'll be using my directv account from zip code:19608 (Reading, Pa) tailgating at PSU games (zip code: 16803) (roughly 2hrs 20min away). I'll be using a friend's winegard carryout for the dish and have a standard receiver.

I guess my question is will I be able to pickup any locals? I don't really care if they're mine from home (our locals are Philly) or Penn State's locals, but more importantly just want to be able to catch the games on CBS, NBC, and ABC.

Some threads I read made me believe that I won't be able to get any locals (mine or Penn State's), while others led me to believe if I fall in a certain mile radius I might be able to pick up my home locals.

Can anyone help a newbie out and let me know what I need to do?

Thanks!!

If you are still in the spot beam your locals are broadcasted on then you should be able to receive them. If your outside of the spot beam then theres no chance of it. You cannot receive local channels from other markets unless you were to change your address.

Thanks for the response. So it's pretty much be within my local spot beam or I'm SOL. Unfortunately, I'm on my phone at work right now and can't look into any spot beam maps or anything like that. Not sure I would be that great at interpreting it anyway.

Is there anyway anyone on here could look for me? My local zip is 19608 and the tailgating zip would be 16803. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the response. So it's pretty much be within my local spot beam or I'm SOL. Unfortunately, I'm on my phone at work right now and can't look into any spot beam maps or anything like that. Not sure I would be that great at interpreting it anyway.

Is there anyway anyone on here could look for me? My local zip is 19608 and the tailgating zip would be 16803. It would be greatly appreciated.

I have gotten mine about 150 miles (as the crow flies) away from Cincy. There is NO definitive map or anything else you can check. The margin of error is not that exact. You say 2:20 away.How far is it in a straight line?? I've taken that long to drive 50 miles on gamedays;)

My educated guess is you'll get em. Certainly someone else will be tailgating with D* at the PSU games so see what they're getting. Good LUCK.:cool:

This is an old map, but if you get your locals from spot 21 then you may be in luck.

Attachments

• dtv4s.gif
    dtv4s.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 194
thanks cincy and pall...i m just afraid the spot beam wont reach state college. any way of knowing what spot beam my locals are on? so basically there is no way of knowing until i get there?

Last edited:
thanks cincy...i m just afraid the spot beam wont reach state college. any way of knowing what spot beam my locals are on? so basically there is no way of knowing until i get there?

That's probably the case. PallMall's map is promising if you're on 21 but who knows? Like I said it's something of a crapshoot. I'll be surprised if you don't get them though. Tell JoPa we said hi and beat Michigan!:cool: (do they play this season?)

thanks cincy and pall...i m just afraid the spot beam wont reach state college. any way of knowing what spot beam my locals are on? so basically there is no way of knowing until i get there?

I dont think theres any way to tell for sure. Try checking your signal on tp 18 and 26. If they have a good signal, chances are they will be on spot 21.

I guess the only thing to do is wait till Saturday and see what happens. Appreciate the help guys. If you ever make it out to Happy Valley for a game let me know. I owe you guys some beer and food for the help.

I guess the only thing to do is wait till Saturday and see what happens. Appreciate the help guys. If you ever make it out to Happy Valley for a game let me know. I owe you guys some beer and food for the help.

So besides seeing a Zip Whippin', did you get the locals???? :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.