Need help unlocking Ipod classic.

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have a 5th generation 80g IPod classic that I haven't used since Christmas (I got a touch for Christmas). Of course the battery was completely dead at first. But after charging the battery, I can't get it to unlock. I tried doing what the manual says, push the hold switch to hold and back, and then holding menu & the center button for 6 seconds, but nothing happens. I tried doing a restore, which worked fine, but it still will not unlock. Is there any other way to do this? I sort of think the hold switch may not be working properly for some reason, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Well after spending time with Google, I've tried every way possible to unlock with no luck. So I think I may have a bad Ipod. So, has anyone ever sent an Ipod to Apple for out of warranty repair? I'm just curious how much something like that would cost.

When you say unlock, do you mean you have a combination lock that prevents you from accessing the iPod? If so, you can try syncing it to a different iTunes installation assuming you have a second computer with iTunes that isn't using your account. You'll be asked if you want to synch with this iTunes and this should wipe out the existing iPod configuration including locks.

When you say unlock, do you mean you have a combination lock that prevents you from accessing the iPod? If so, you can try syncing it to a different iTunes installation assuming you have a second computer with iTunes that isn't using your account. You'll be asked if you want to synch with this iTunes and this should wipe out the existing iPod configuration including locks.

No, I do not have a combination lock. I mean there's a small lock symbol at the top of the screen and none of the buttons will do anything.

Google returns this:

How To: Unlock a Locked iPod

My friend recently locked her iPod, and forgot her passcode. After searching the internet, she came up with this link telling her that there is effectively no way to unlock a locked iPod. Wrong!

After doing some digging around inside the iPod, I couldn't find anything. However, enabling hidden folders brought up a new folder: iPod_Control. Inside this folder was another named Device, and inside this was a file named _locked. Opening up this file in Notepad, I found a bunch of symbols, I assume this was an encrypted password. I simply deleted the file, and the iPod was unlocked! This worked for me, but after further research, I found out that the fix for this problem depends on what type of iPod you have. However, the following set of steps should work for everyone.

1) First rename the _locked file to _unlocked. Disconnect the iPod and reset it.

2) If that did not solve the problem, delete all the text inside the aforementioned file. Save it, and then disconnect the iPod and reset it.

3) If that still did not work, delete the file and then disconnect the iPod and reset it.

Keep in mind that this is not an Apple-sanctioned guide, so use caution when trying this, and if you are not sure of what you are doing, backup any files before you alter or delete them

No, I do not have a combination lock. I mean there's a small lock symbol at the top of the screen and none of the buttons will do anything.
With that piece of information, it sounds like your Lock Switch is broken. If you're brave, you can find a step-by-step guide on taking a 5th Generation iPod apart and see if there might be something mechanical at fault. With it apart, that would be a good time to replace the battery, too, for one with more capacity.

If you don't want to do this, you could a) take it to an Apple Store to see if they can put in a quick fix; b) trade it in on a new iPod Touch (or Classic) for your significant other; or c) send it in to Apple to be fixed.

IE 9

New Technology Could Replace HDMI With Ethernet Cables

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts