Need help with a dish rescue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

caddata

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Near my home, an old Caterpillar dealership is being demolished to make way for a new Lowe's Home Improvement Center. Perched atop one of the buildings is what appears to be 1.5M or 2M offset transmit/receive dish with the electronics removed. It is calling out to be rescued from a horrific future of destruction. Should I approach the destruction crew superintendent to save it from it's fate? I'm open for suggestions on how to approach him to save it. I won't be able to sleep knowing they killed an dish that just wanted to continue on looking into space and reflecting programming into my receiver.

My advice is to simply ask.

No harm in trying, and I doubt the guys down there would care.
And personally I couldn't sleep at night knowing I hadn't done anyting to aquire an about-to-be-scrapped 1.2+ meter dish :O

and ya know, offering the foreman a 6 pack of his fav. beverage would probably help......

I'm looking for opportunities just such as this right now. I live in a large metro area (New Orleans) and there are plenty of older buildings always being demolished. I'm sure I'm missing opportunities on all of those roofs for dishes.

I'm sure they wouldn't care at all if you got it. You're likely to get an NPRM (Non-Penetrating Roof Mount) in the bargain, which are VERY useful for mounting larger dishes on a flat roof! Most such mounts have a 2 3/8" pole bolted to a frame of some sort. You use cinder blocks to weigh the frame down to the roof, then you make adjustments to the pole and supports to level it. I have two such supports on my shed roof, and they're wonderful!

Tron said:
Most such mounts have a 2 3/8" pole bolted to a frame of some sort.

For a dish that big, its more likely to be a 3" or even 4" mast.. much like the 1.2 I have at the house.... 3 inches

Start off with asking. If that does not work start showing $$$ and go up by $10s

Good luck.

P.S. Make sure they know if they bent it the deal is over! Get some bi-nocks out and make sure it is not bent to begin with.

caddata said:
Near my home, an old Caterpillar dealership is being demolished to make way for a new Lowe's Home Improvement Center. Perched atop one of the buildings is what appears to be 1.5M or 2M offset transmit/receive dish with the electronics removed. It is calling out to be rescued from a horrific future of destruction. Should I approach the destruction crew superintendent to save it from it's fate? I'm open for suggestions on how to approach him to save it. I won't be able to sleep knowing they killed an dish that just wanted to continue on looking into space and reflecting programming into my receiver.

No news yet--it's still there calling out to me. I'm thinking of a gift card to Olive Garden or Red Lobster (both near the dish site)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts