Need help with c band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bobbe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2010
North America easten coast
Hi all. I could use some help with my c band 1.2m WS International dish with sadoun satracer motor discontinued model, Bi sat Eagle Aspen stacked LNBF WS KU 2C scaler ring kit with Megasat Comanche stb. I am in north America. I am only able to hit some transponders on two satellites Galaxy 17 91W and Amc 4 100W. on 91W I can only get like a 32-40 Q% on TP 3920 H 2600/ and 3920 V 26000 and TP 7080 V 30000. On satellite Amc 4 I was only able to get TP 6300 H 26400 at a very low 32 Q% just enough to lock channel, I really wanted to get TP 6455 H 15030 iy was coming in at a very low 28-30% not good enough to lock channels in. So I worked on teaking the lnb and what I had to do to get a little better Q signal was to put some shimmys under the barrel of the LNBF between the lnb and the plastic holder. And then I had to take screws out of scaler ring and push it all the way out as far off the lnb as I could and
I taped it some metal tape. So after doing that I now get on a clear day about a 34-36 Q signal on Amc 4 TP 6455 H 15030 enough to get channels in with no break up. If it is not raining or cloudy. And I still get TP's on Galaxy 17 good also. But I been reading about people with a 1.2m dish getting higher signal and more sats like amc 3 and galaxy 3/c and galaxy 16. Can somebody give me me some tips on what I need to do or maybe my lnb could be better or anything. I first tried a ??????? lnbf was getting nothing with it. Well any help will be apreciated. Will a better reciever help me, like a traxis dbs3500? no color stream out put though, does it work good with motor?

sounds like your heading in the right direction... and sounds like the equipment is able to do the job. but first thing to note is basically this is just a crap shoot using an undersized dish to receive c-band signals. so with that in mind , i would continue the way your are. try doing so now without adding any cost . try using spacers maybe an inch to move the scaler away from the dish. do all this while your pointed at a known satellite with known signal . if you have everything with you at the dish and can hold the lnbf steady try holding the lnbf by hand and slowly move it out from the dish & scaler and see if you gain any signal.

The problem I see is the size of your dish. People that are or had been getting better results than you with their mini-bud are getting those results on stronger transponders.

I've done the mini-bud thing. It worked long enough for me to realize that I wanted the real bud. I don't think you will ever be happy with the mini bud's results over the long haul.

I have a 7.5' BUD now that gets me everything I want until it gets windy or real rainy (or snowy). I've got a 12' dish that's going up somewhere in my limited backyard that should get just about everything there is no matter what conditions are, being 2.5 times bigger.

Here's some approximate comparisons in dish sizes:

1.2M/4 foot - 13 square feet
6 foot dish - 28 square feet - 110% bigger than a 4'
7.5 foot dish - 44 square feet - 60% bigger than a 6'
8 foot dish - 50 square feet - 80% bigger than a 6'
10 foot dish - 78 square feet - 60% bigger than an 8'
12 foot dish - 113 square feet - 50% bigger than a 10'

Bigger does typically mean better, and antennas are no different.

Last edited:
Thanks for the imput guys. I see your points well taken. But I have a yard full of trees. Where I got my dish now is the only place for it and a bigger dish just will not work out I wish I could do that. I tried DMX 741 before with scaler ring kit but I had better luck with the eagle aspen. I was thinking maybe I should try the geosat CK1 c/ku band lnb. It has a wider feq range of c band 3.4-4.2
ku band 10.7-12.75. The eagle aspen range is c band only 3.7-4.2. When I was trying the dmx721 out I was able to hit amc 2/4 transponder 3716, but with eagle aspen i cannot hit that. but the stuff i can hit with eagle aspen I could not hit with the dmx741. I am trying to find lnb that will have a wider range Iam thinking might help me out. Am thinking about the geosat ck1 what do you guys think? I was thinking when I tried the dmx741 with jumper wire for switch from c to ku it did not work just a little. I was thinking it takes a larger dish for more signal for that switch to work right? I was thinking maybe a different stb will help me? My VSU could not pick up amc 4 TP 6455, but my megasat comanche can by just another 3-4 Q % more then VSU so maybe there is a stb that can pull c band signal in better then megasat comanche. I wish there was a list of strong c band transponders for set up. I got the one ice breg posted on here for circular and ku good list. I tried to load pictures of my setup but there is no pencil icon next to gallery in my profile so I cannot click it up. For anyone wondering how I manged to set up motor on megasat comanche it is not easy you have to shut all lnb power off on all of the satellites except the one you are working on even with that it is a pain thats why i wish i had strong c band TP list for set up will make it easier. Well I am thinking my next step is to try the geosat ck1 lnb. I know I am asking a lot of questions LOL. ok thanks.

One thing I haven't read is what type of scalar ring you're using on the c-band LNB. A conical scalar will make a big difference to getting signals on a smaller dish as well. I had pretty poor results on my 1M dish until I used a conical scalar and it was much better though still affected by weather.

One thing I haven't read is what type of scalar ring you're using on the c-band LNB. A conical scalar will make a big difference to getting signals on a smaller dish as well. I had pretty poor results on my 1M dish until I used a conical scalar and it was much better though still affected by weather.

Yes I am using the conical scalar ring.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts