Need help with Diamond 9000HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
My son got me a new Diamond 9000HD off of eBay - it is brand new, was still in the shrink wrap when he got it. Prior to this I had a Pansat 2500A with several dishes hooked up via a 4 input DISEqC switch and four 22 kHz tone switches, which I guess is a DISEqC 1.0 setup. Anyway, I guess I expected to hook the Diamond up in place of the Pansat (I have limited shelf space so can't have both hooked up) and just do some blind scans and go. Alas, it is turning out not to be nearly that simple. Please bear in mind that the Pansat 2500A is the ONLY other FTA receiver I've ever used, so where things don't work as they did on the Pansat I feel kind of lost.

So I just want to ask some questions and see if maybe you Diamond users can set me in the right direction.

1) The first thing I noticed was that this unit can scan satellites, but apparently only transponders you have previously programmed in. I'm assuming there is no true blind scan, such as is on the Pansat?

2) There are functions that seem to be missing. For example, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add a satellite and have it show the correct position (in degrees). I can take one of the several 0.0E vacant satellite positions and try to re-use them (so far, with a stunning lack of success) BUT I can't get it to display anything other than 0.0E. Note: In case it matters, I do NOT have a motorized dish that is controlled by the Diamond (the only movable dish I have is an old C-band dish which is moved using an analog C-band receiver; the Diamond is slaved off that dish). Anyway, what is the correct way to add a SATELLITE (not a transponder) - if it's in the manual I'm missing it!

3) I DID try appropriating one of the unused satellite spots (0.0E) for AMC-18 to get certain signals that are supposed to be there (the ones on 3780 H). ;-) I set it up and tried everything I could think of but no way would the receiver find those signals. I had thought the Diamond could receive these, they are supposed to be FTA and unencrypted. I also tried Galaxy 28 and couldn't pull anything in there also. Note that I seem to have no trouble pulling in standard definition signals, and my DISEqC/tone switch setup appears to be working exactly as it did under the Pansat, as long as I specify a "standard" LNB. I just can't seem to pick up the hi-def stuff so far. Are there ANY high-def signals that the Diamond should be able to pick up consistently that I can use for testing purposes? Assuming, of course, that I don't have the only Diamond out there that can't pick up AMC-18.

4) I'm guessing that you can upgrade the software using the USB port on the front (that I nearly couldn't find). But, I don't have a USB stick, except for a 64 MB unit that I got free-after-rebate a few years ago and never found a use for (surprisingly, it is USB 2.0). Would that be large enough? The Diamond9000HD.zip file I downloaded from the company's web site is only 2.5 MB so I'm guessing yes, if so my only question then is do I unzip the file to the USB stick or will the receiver accept the zipped file as is? The software currently on the receiver is 0.10 (August 22, 2007) and the CH Version (whatever that is) is E006. Any specific hints on upgrading?

5) Of course it's not letting me record anything, because I have nothing plugged into the USB port. I'm assuming you can plug in an external hard drive, but what format does the drive have to be formatted in? I have an external 200 GB drive doing nothing useful at the moment but it was formatted by a network storage device that uses some weird format that nothing else can read. I'm assuming it would be best to let the receiver re-format it, but what puzzles me is that the only USB port on the thing seems to be the one on the front. You mean I have to leave that little door hang open any time I have the external drive hooked up? I understand putting the USB slot on the front for swapping a stick in and out, but not having to leave a door open to access it. Am I missing another hidden USB port somewhere?

Please understand that I'm probably a bit older than some of the rest of you, so new technology confuses me sometimes. Thankfully I haven't yet got to the point that I can't figure out how to use the remote, but this new receiver doesn't seem nearly as intuitive as my old Pansat, and therefore any hints anyone has would be much appreciated (especially with regard to picking up those HD signals).

Hi anik, I'll take a shot at some of your questions and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will flesh out what I can contribute and add some more:

1.) I believe you are correct, the Diamond doesn't have a true blind can, it will only scan the ransponders that are already in memory (either preloaded or the ones you add to the lists).

2.) I think the only way you can add a satellite is through a channel editor, I've never been able to add one with my remote control.

3.) I have been able to receive those channels @ 3780 H, I think your problem is that signal is in DVB-S2 format. The Diamond is capable of receiving and displaying the DVB-S2 signals but you must enter the proper setup info into your receiver (again this will require a channel editor).

4.) You can upgrade your firmware using the USB port, and yes you do need to unzip it. The latest factory firmware should be available at the Diamond website.

5.) Can't help you at all with recording questions, even though I have 2 boxes with PVR capability (Diamond 9000 and Visionsat) I have NEVER attempted to record anything, maybe one of these days.

I haven't done much with the channel editor, and I've only upgraded my firmware one time....and if you (I) don't play with that stuff often you (I) forget how to use it. Here is a link to the Diamond Support page, it should have the channel editor and the latest firmware:

Fta Diamond Support

Hope this helps you out. :)

Everything phlatwound said is exactly my experience. Only thing I can add is I have TWO Diamonds, and they are VERY flaky adding S2 stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I have a problem right now wherein I CANNOT add the S2 transponder on G28 cband because when I try to save the channel file it unchecks the pilot, rendering the info useless. And I am also unable to tune the NBC mux on AMC 18 either. It did work at one time, but not now, and I haven't changed a thing. Its pretty maddening. Anyway...

You need a channel editor, add the dvb-s2 transponders, then save the file to a usb stick and load it in the receiver.

I've attached the Diamond channel editor for you. Be aware that when you load a list all your other info will be overwritten.

Adding a satellite is simple using the editor. :)

Attachments

• NDFEditor_Ver157.zip
    246.3 KB · Views: 173
Thanks, guys...

I appreciate the info. I think I'll try upgrading the firmware later (maybe when I have my son here to watch and make sure I'm not doing something stupid). ;) As for the channel editor, that may be a bit of a problem because I'm currently using a Mac Mini and after you unzip that it's an EXE file, which I assume is Windows software, which means I'll either have to try and run it using an emulator or fire up my old Windows 2000 box. (On a totally irrelevant note, the Mac Mini is what has made me reluctant to install upgrades - twice now when I've tried to upgrade it, I wound up getting a blank blue screen after rebooting - I guess that's Apple's version of the Blue screen of Death, except it's just a solid blue blank screen - and had to start over with the installation CD and do what's called an "Archive and Install" to get my system running again, which is a real pain in the butt. The last time I did an upgrade, I had my son do it for me and of course it went perfectly for him. :rolleyes:)

Hmmm... okay, I can launch the channel editor in an emulator, but it comes up without any channels preloaded. I suppose there is some way to download the existing channel list from the receiver to the USB stick?

As I understand it, with the factory firmware, you can not dl the channel list to a USB stick, you have to use a RS232 cable into your computer.

Doesn't make sense to me that you can just go one direction using a USB stick, can anyone explain that? :confused:

I've never had a Mac so I can't help you there.

Hmmm... okay, I can launch the channel editor in an emulator, but it comes up without any channels preloaded. I suppose there is some way to download the existing channel list from the receiver to the USB stick?

No, you cannot load the channel list to the USB stick with the factory firmware. You can with old hackware, but that reportedly broke the DVB-S2. So, you will need a straight through cable to get the channels FROM the Diamond. I found out yesterday that the Coolsat 5000 channel/firmware loader WILL pull the channels from the Diamond, too. :)

Then once you make your changes you can put them back with the USB.

Me personally, I'd use a Windows machine to be sure I didn't mess anything up. I have no experience with a Mac so I also am no help, sorry.

Warning, there's a mini-rant in this message!

No, you cannot load the channel list to the USB stick with the factory firmware. You can with old hackware, but that reportedly broke the DVB-S2.

I'd REALLY rather not use non-factory firmware; even without going into the ethical/legal considerations I have this thing about voiding the warranty of a new receiver. However, it raises the question, why is it that the hackers can add this feature but the factory can't (or won't)? For that matter, does anyone know who the actual manufacturer of these devices is (as opposed to the distributor in Canada)? Maybe if we could find out who to e-mail there we could get this feature added (well, I can dream, can't I?).

So, you will need a straight through cable to get the channels FROM the Diamond. I found out yesterday that the Coolsat 5000 channel/firmware loader WILL pull the channels from the Diamond, too. :)

Please explain what you mean by the Coolsat 5000 channel/firmware loader - do you mean that will let you save the channel list to the USB stick? If you knew what my situation was and the way I'm using this thing, you'd know why I'm so adverse to using the serial port - it would basically involve totally tearing down my old Windows desktop computer system (now tucked away in a corner but still usable), lugging it halfway across the house, and then reassembling at a place where there's basically nothing to sit it on within easy reach of the receiver (and then there are human factors beyond that). I still can't believe the sheer idiocy of only allowing reads from the USB stick and not writes to it. It's like making an electric screwdriver that only tightens screws, but won't rotate in the opposite direction to loosen them. Sure, you can still get the screws back out, but it's a real pain in the posterior. Sort of like this situation.

Actually, I must say that I'm pretty disappointed with the slipshod quality control of some of the satellite receiver makers. On the one hand I'm glad they make them at all, but on the other hand you wonder how they can let some really obvious stuff just slip by. On my old Pansat 2500, it was the clock that was never right. On the Diamond, it's not being able to save to the USB stick and the fact that the EPG basically doesn't seem to pick up ANY program information, not even on the terrestrial channels. And in all fairness, it's not just satellite equipment makers - I have a DTVpal converter box here which DOES get EPG information (so I know it can be done) but if you ever try to use one of its built-in timers, it seems to have a memory leak or something and completely flakes out (requiring a complete power disconnect and reconnect) within a day or two. You have to wonder, don't these manufacturers ever bother to actually test their stuff before they send it out?

For that matter, does anyone know who the actual manufacturer of these devices is (as opposed to the distributor in Canada)? Maybe if we could find out who to e-mail there we could get this feature added (well, I can dream, can't I?).

I think Digiwave Technologies is the manufactuer of the Diamond 9000 or that is at least what they claim on their website:

"Your Complete Electronic & Satellite Manufacturer Manufacturer Direct to Distributors & Dealers only"

http://www.digiwavetechnologies.com/

I gave up on the Diamond since they have no email support and the risk of buying one with 131p hacked firmware installed. I tried emailing them and they never responded. I like the pansat 9200. I emailed Panarex the company that makes the pansat 9200 and they emailed me back. I was thinking if enough people emailed Panarex about the OTA guide maybe they might add the feature. The hardware is capable of it, but I guess they do not feel there is enough demand from consumers for Panarex to implement the OTA guide feature in software.

You have to wonder, don't these manufacturers ever bother to actually test their stuff before they send it out?

I am certain that every feature works great for hackers that steal satellite service. Those feature are tested, but the features for True FTA probably are not since we are not the majority of their customers.

Last edited:
Everything phlatwound said is exactly my experience. Only thing I can add is I have TWO Diamonds, and they are VERY flaky adding S2 stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I have a problem right now wherein I CANNOT add the S2 transponder on G28 cband because when I try to save the channel file it unchecks the pilot, rendering the info useless. And I am also unable to tune the NBC mux on AMC 18 either. It did work at one time, but not now, and I haven't changed a thing. Its pretty maddening. Anyway...

Hi Stogie, I have not ran ito that problem with Gal-28 or AMC-18 at all, an it seems to always take the S-2 stuff, when I load it into the receiver, it has not failed as of yet. an mine sits on Gal-28 alot (Reto-Jams), now mine here when I got it back in April it had the 100 firmware an up graded to the 104, an this 1 has never been in hack-ware an never will be. an just yesterday readded the tennis channel on AMC-18 an also took with no problems. now mine here is in my office an it stays hook to the compt on a RS232 24/7 (25foot rs-232), so it is easy to add or remove any transponders with the compt in a few seconds.

You need a channel editor, add the dvb-s2 transponders, then save the file to a usb stick and load it in the receiver.

Never had tried this way, the only time have used the usb port is when have hooked up a hard drive.

I've attached the Diamond channel editor for you. Be aware that when you load a list all your other info will be overwritten.

just want to add 1 thing using the channel editor, I always upload (from receiver to compt via RS232) to a file 1st then open that file with the Editor, now this way I have all my current transponders an channel names that are up to date, then just add the S-2 or QPSK transponders that I want, then relaod it back to the Diamond. now you can add a QPSK transponder with the remote, but it is quicker for me to use the compt, an with a drag an drop can keep the new transponders in order, Then I just delete that file when all done. also use Windows here.

Yes it is very simple when you get the hang of it, an you will be using it alot Anik, to add or remove transponders or sats. also when I 1st got mine didn't care for the Diamond much but it kind of grows on you after you start playing with it, now after running it for a good 6-months would not get rid of it. sure it has got some bugs, but so does ALL the HD mpeg receivers that I have used, an have worked with a lot of them. all in all it is a good HD receiver.
Good luck with it Anik an hope all helps.

Some of my reply got mix in Stogie's Quote, sorry about that, don't now how to fix it.

Please explain what you mean by the Coolsat 5000 channel/firmware loader - do you mean that will let you save the channel list to the USB stick? If you knew what my situation was and the way I'm using this thing, you'd know why I'm so adverse to using the serial port - it would basically involve totally tearing down my old Windows desktop computer system (now tucked away in a corner but still usable), lugging it halfway across the house, and then reassembling at a place where there's basically nothing to sit it on within easy reach of the receiver (and then there are human factors beyond that). I still can't believe the sheer idiocy of only allowing reads from the USB stick and not writes to it. It's like making an electric screwdriver that only tightens screws, but won't rotate in the opposite direction to loosen them. Sure, you can still get the screws back out, but it's a real pain in the posterior. Sort of like this situation.

Nope, sorry, the only way to get a list OUT of the Diamond is the serial cable. That's why SO many of us have a coolsat 5000/6000 to do our blind scanning, then taking that list out VIA serial cable to the computer, editing it, and the USB-stick in the diamond. I use a USB/serial adaptor with my wife's laptop to do my loading/unloading. The Coolsat loader I was speaking of is the 5000/6000 firmware/channel loader used to get the firmware/channels off and on the Coolsat 5000/6000.

The Diamond NDF editor says in the info section that it is copyright Freetech. Incidentally, the same company that used to own Coolsat. I think someone contacted Freetech about the Diamond and they pointed us to Digiwave. And we all know how useless they are.

I guess what I am trying to say it this: IT IS WHAT IT IS. Its never going to be anything better than it is right now. The eye-patchers don't like it so development will NOT happen. I would be absolutely FLOORED if any improvements are made. Y'all can do what you want, but I feel that you are killing defenseless electrons contacting Digiwave. ITS USELESS. :D

I think Digiwave Technologies is the manufactuer of the Diamond 9000 or that is at least what they claim on their website:

"Your Complete Electronic & Satellite Manufacturer Manufacturer Direct to Distributors & Dealers only"

Digiwave Wholesale Distributor - MPEG2 Digital Receivers, LNBFs, Digital Equipment, Stab Motor, Moteck Motor, Switch, CCTV Camera - Wholesale Satellite Distributor - Wholesale only

I gave up on the Diamond since they have no email support and the risk of buying one with 131p hacked firmware installed. I tried emailing them and they never responded.

Well, I called the company's office in Toronto (so nice having a VoIP service that doesn't change extra for calls to Canada!) and they told me two things. First, that I could e-mail the tech support using the address support@digiwave.ca. Second, that it appears their tech guy works evenings, after 5:00 PM, so there is a chance that if you call after 5 you might actually get to speak to him. I haven't tried that route (I'm much better at writing than at speaking on the phone) but if anyone here should ever try calling (the number is on the company's web site under a "Contact Information" link), please ask if they will make it so you can download your channel list to the USB stick!

I am certain that every feature works great for hackers that steal satellite service. Those feature are tested, but the features for True FTA probably are not since we are not the majority of their customers.

Yeah, it makes you wonder who their intended audience is. If they were ever sued by a satellite provider, it wouldn't look very good for them if they refused to give any support to us customers who bought their receiver strictly for use with the legal free-to-air signals, but were caught giving backdoor support to the pirates (mind you, I'm NOT accusing them of that, just saying that if that ever turned out to be the case it sure wouldn't look good for them). You'd THINK they'd go out of their way to put their support efforts into the legal firmware, and make sure everything works correctly for those using that firmware, so there is not even any "appearance of evil", so to speak.

As I said in a previous message, I have no desire to run any illicit firmware - never did it with my Pansat and have no intention of doing it with the Diamond. But it really stinks if the pirate firmware is (at least in some respects) more capable than the factory firmware. As an aside, why can't some of the hackers put their efforts into developing some legal alternative firmware (that is, firmware with all the extra capabilities EXCEPT the ability to steal programming) for our satellite receivers that all of us could use, much as I understand some hackers (the good kind) have made improved software for certain brands of routers? I still probably wouldn't use it while my receiver was under the warranty period, but then again if it really offered improved functionality such as the ability to save the channel list to the USB stick, or the ability to program in the DVD-S2 satellites using the remote, I'd be sorely tempted.

By the way, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to HOW you guys download the channel list from the receiver using the serial port - is there some particular piece of software that does that (and if so where do you get it)? If there is, then I guess one option would be to try and find about a 75' serial cable, if such a thing exists. But even that would be a pain to hook up and unhook (seriously, you'd have to see my setup to understand), though much easier than having to move computer equipment around!

By the way, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to HOW you guys download the channel list from the receiver using the serial port - is there some particular piece of software that does that (and if so where do you get it)? If there is, then I guess one option would be to try and find about a 75' serial cable, if such a thing exists. But even that would be a pain to hook up and unhook (seriously, you'd have to see my setup to understand), though much easier than having to move computer equipment around![/quote]

Go to the Diamond web site an down load the loader for the 9000, then unzip it an move it to you're desk top. when you open it select run, across the top you will see "firmware" "channel" "keys" "transponders" select which 1 you want to down load or upload. now just under top row an to the left you will see download or upload select which way you want to go, "download" is from compt to receiver, "upload" is receiver to compt.

now I got my 25 foot 1 from cablesforless.com for under $10 shipped, an they where great to deal with, an ordered on monday an had it here on wednesday. but you may want to talk to them 1st about a 75 foot cable an make sure that it can be that long an still work, I don't see why not but always make sure 1st before ordering.

By the way, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to HOW you guys download the channel list from the receiver using the serial port - is there some particular piece of software that does that (and if so where do you get it)? If there is, then I guess one option would be to try and find about a 75' serial cable, if such a thing exists. But even that would be a pain to hook up and unhook (seriously, you'd have to see my setup to understand), though much easier than having to move computer equipment around!

Anik. Bring the receiver to the computer. Don't make it hard on yourself. I do it all the time. Turn it off, unplug, bring it to the computer, plug it in, hook up your serial cable, run the program I will post below. Diamond and Coolsat use a straight through cable, BTW.

Unzip and run the program within that zip file. Click the 'channels' button. Click 'to computer'. Give it a filename. Click auto detect once your turn on the Diamond, when its right you will see "VERSION 1.01 DETECTED". The click 'Connect' and it will pull the channel list off the Diamond and save it where you told it to. That's all there is to it.
Simple.:)

Attachments

• CoolSat Pro Loader v.2.4.zip
    167.5 KB · Views: 235

I know I'm not the dullest hook in the tackle box, but for the life of me I can't figure how to add a satellite using the NDFEditor. Would someone just direct me to a short 'how to' on adding Satellites? And thanks for the info on channel editing. I need to do some work adding AMC 21 to my list etc...

I know I'm not the dullest hook in the tackle box, but for the life of me I can't figure how to add a satellite using the NDFEditor. Would someone just direct me to a short 'how to' on adding Satellites? And thanks for the info on channel editing. I need to do some work adding AMC 21 to my list etc...

After you have uploaded you're channel list an open it with the editor then high lited the satellite that you want to change its name, in the block on the right with all the paramaters click on that satellite , an you can back space, delete or edit to meat you're needs.

PS. I am not the smartest 1 with this compt stuff, but this editor is easy to use once you learn the basics, an I keep my hooks sharp when were off shore fishing in the Gulf, we even have small files on board to buff them up.

Don't make it hard? You have no idea!

Anik. Bring the receiver to the computer. Don't make it hard on yourself. I do it all the time. Turn it off, unplug, bring it to the computer, plug it in, hook up your serial cable, run the program I will post below. Diamond and Coolsat use a straight through cable, BTW.

First, thanks for explaining how to do this, I may in fact do it someday. But now please allow me to explain why what seems so easy to you is in fact not at all easy in my situation. Without going into my personal history, suffice it to say that many years ago, when I was away on a trip, my (now ex-)wife decided it would be a great idea to buy this huge, assemble-it-yourself entertainment center, one of those pressed-wood kits that the department stores used to sell (and probably still do). I should also explain that we lived in a single-wide mobile home, which I'm currently residing in again (a long story that bears no relevance to the situation at hand, except for what follows).

I knew this thing was going to be a problem from the minute I found out about it because when I returned home, my wife had left the boxes containing the thing in the entrance right in front of the door (probably because they were so doggone heavy - I don't know how she ever got them inside the mobile home at all), and since I was carrying a bunch of stuff when I came in I didn't see them and fell over the boxes, damn near breaking a rib or two in the process!

My sons and I put the thing together as an all-day project (you may note that no one attempted to assemble it before I got home, and I will also not that this was NOT one of those precious father-son bonding moments, mostly because the instructions were clear as mud. The boys probably heard dad say a few words he didn't normally use). And, after assembly was complete we immediately realized it was really too large for the place - the only way to position it so it didn't block a window was to put it where it somewhat constricted access to a hallway and the main entrance into the home (not enough to notice, except when you are trying to bring something large into or out of the house). However it had taken us nearly a full day to assemble the thing and the wife wanted it, so we positioned it as best we could. We later realized that the way the thing was designed, we couldn't even move it to another room (such as a bedroom) without tearing it apart, let alone take it out of the house. And therefore, it was one of the few things that my ex-wife didn't take when she left. And therefore when I moved back in (again part of that long, irrelevant story), it was still there. You've heard of the elephant in the living room that no one wants to talk about? This thing is our elephant. :(

And I tell you all that to note this: The monstrosity has a back with small holes in it that all the cables going to a particular shelf attach to - and there are a LOT of cables coming into the two shelves over the TV space (which, by the way, it totally inadequate for any of today's TV's - I'm not sure what we are going to do when the analog set dies). Anyway, to save some space we put the power bars on top of the unit and feed power cords out the back through the small holes and up to the top of the unit. Because of the way the unit sits, plus the sheer size of the thing, feeding ANY cable into or out of the back of the thing is a major PITA. When we changed out the satellite receivers (Pansat and Diamond), the fact that the Diamond doesn't have a TV antenna output like the Pansat did necessitated rearranging some cables to feed a TV in another room, and it took me something like two or three hours to redo cables (it would have probably taken me five minutes at most with a more open arrangement).

There is a part of me that wishes we could get rid of the thing and another part of me that wonders what we'd ever replace it with that would hold all the stuff it holds (plus, I have NO desire to assemble another one!).

Anyway, the point is that unplugging the thing would require pulling the cord down from the top and through the hole behind the entertainment center. THAT'S not the hard part. The hard part is replacing the receiver and getting the plug back through the hole (with the gazillion other wires sharing that hole) and then somehow pushing it up the back to the top of the unit in the approximately inch and a half of space between the back of the unit and the wall, again keeping in mind that there are a whole bunch of other cables back there that are in your way. THAT is the hard part. Believe me when I say that it would be easier to take a desktop computer out there than to bring the receiver in here and then put it back when I am through. If I were planning on doing it often I suppose I could push an extension cord up through and leave the end of the extension cord behind the receiver but there's really not a lot of room back there as it is.

I sometimes wish there was someplace that would let you design an entertainment center to your specifications (that is, to fit the space you actually have available) using some sort of online tool, and then they would make the parts and send them to you, so you can fit the thing into your allotted space rather than trying to deal with a one-size-fits-all kit. But, that is another discussion for another thread.

Anyway, for those of you with big living rooms and wide open entertainment centers, I'm sure things would be much easier for you!

Anik, Try that in a motor home!!
Yes you can build a 75 foot serial cable. I had just a little trouble (at a telephone answering service) with one over 3000 feet (to get a third exchange into a computer). Get it hooked up once to the receiver and when not in use, just coil it up behind the Entertainment center

Anik, Try that in a motor home!!
Yes you can build a 75 foot serial cable. I had just a little trouble (at a telephone answering service) with one over 3000 feet (to get a third exchange into a computer). Get it hooked up once to the receiver and when not in use, just coil it up behind the Entertainment center

Sounds like a good project when the weather gets colder, if I haven't found a better solution by then. Speaking of which, I did a Google search on the Diamond 9000HD, which unfortunately brought up several links to the kind of site that gives the hobby a bad name) but I also did find a few other links to sites that looked like perhaps they were at least fairly legitimate (though I didn't explore the entire site in any case). One such link was to this message thread:

Diamond 9000 HD - Add DVB-S2 TP via remote - Ricks Satellite Wildfeed and Backhaul Forum

Note the rather cryptic message #23, where the writer says 'I have found a better receiver to "borrow" the Firmware from that allows DVB-S2 TP entry. If anyone is interested, PM me.' Thing is, I'm not sure if he means he's taking the (legit) firmware intended for use with one brand of receiver and has found that it works better in a Diamond 9000HD than Diamond's own firmware (in which case, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just post the information openly - AFAIK there is no law against downloading freely available software intended for one receiver and using it in another, if it will work (but then again, I am not a lawyer and we live in strange times)) or if he's talking about some software that's non-legit for some reason, or what. In any case I didn't feel like registering on that site to send him a PM, at least not until I know more about that site, but I wonder if anyone else knows what the heck he's talking about and why he seems to not want to be more forthcoming with the information. If anyone here happens to also be a user on that site (and is willing to admit to it), I for one would be kind of curious to know what the heck he's talking about.

Sounds like a good project when the weather gets colder, if I haven't found a better solution by then. Speaking of which, I did a Google search on the Diamond 9000HD, which unfortunately brought up several links to the kind of site that gives the hobby a bad name) but I also did find a few other links to sites that looked like perhaps they were at least fairly legitimate (though I didn't explore the entire site in any case). One such link was to this message thread:

Diamond 9000 HD - Add DVB-S2 TP via remote - Ricks Satellite Wildfeed and Backhaul Forum

Note the rather cryptic message #23, where the writer says 'I have found a better receiver to "borrow" the Firmware from that allows DVB-S2 TP entry. If anyone is interested, PM me.' Thing is, I'm not sure if he means he's taking the (legit) firmware intended for use with one brand of receiver and has found that it works better in a Diamond 9000HD than Diamond's own firmware (in which case, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just post the information openly - AFAIK there is no law against downloading freely available software intended for one receiver and using it in another, if it will work (but then again, I am not a lawyer and we live in strange times)) or if he's talking about some software that's non-legit for some reason, or what. In any case I didn't feel like registering on that site to send him a PM, at least not until I know more about that site, but I wonder if anyone else knows what the heck he's talking about and why he seems to not want to be more forthcoming with the information. If anyone here happens to also be a user on that site (and is willing to admit to it), I for one would be kind of curious to know what the heck he's talking about.

Huh. I went and read the thread, and that is cryptic. I missed that before. Rick was going to start selling the Diamond, but it had so many issues that he decided not to. I just may PM Mr. Tim and ask him about that firmware. :)

Most of us that are Race fans are members of Rick's forum. We don't all agre with how he posts his info, but its his site and there are some nice folks over there, and even some uplinkers that give inside info. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)