Need Help with Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra and Manhattan Skyline 1000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

arodrigz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Tipton Indiana
Hi, new to the forum and don't know if I'm posting to the right location; my apologies if not.

A few weeks ago I lost the signal on my Manhattan Skyline 1000 receiver which was receiving 3ABN programming. After messing with it and the dish for a while, I borrowed another receiver, a fortecstar lifetime ultra but still got nothing. I finally determined that it was the LNB and ordered a new one. After installing it, I tried both receivers but still got nothing. I then used a sat finder and after zeroing in on a signal, although the receiver was showing no quality signal, did a power scan and picked up channels on AMC1 and AMC4. I could not find a power scan mode for the Manhattan so I wrote down the info on each channel and programmed the manhattan manually but to no avail. Further, after about a week or so of enjoying the channels, I turned the fortec on today and the picture is very poor but it's not the satellite. I unplugged the sat and just tried the menu and the menu is distorted, blurry and discolored. It's as if the receiver is halfway fried. The audio sounds fine but the picture is awful. I tried using a video cable out of the back but the picture only improved slightly, still awful. So I have two issues that I need help with:

1. How do I correctly program the manhattan receiver so that it will get the channels that I know are there because I can watch them on the fortec?

2. What happened to the fortec receiver that caused it to go from a very clear picture to a blurry discolored picture that turns distorted every few seconds then back to blurry and discolored? I tried resetting the factory settings on the thing but it has not fixed the picture. I have about 85% signal strength and 70 - 100% quality depending on the channel. I have to return this receiver to it's owner and am beside myself because I can't figure out what happened to it or how to fix it. Please help.

alex

Thanks for moving it to the right place Iceberg.

Brian, is the Fortec repairable or do I need to buy a replacement? Also, I tried following all the instructions from that link but it still won't show the channels. It's gotta be something dumb like a messed up setting somewhere, but I can't seem to figure it out.
Alex

If you're picking up channels on both 101W (AMC4) and 103 sounds like the dish got moved ever so slightly and would have to be moved a little east

3ABN is very strong signal so if you are aimed directly at 101W it should max the signal quality

You mentioned that the Fortec did not show Signal Quality when you first borrowed it, but you performed a Power Scan? This makes me think that you may have purchased a different LNBF type or ???? What is the new LNBF brand and model? When you Power Scanned, what were the channel names and the frequency that you wrote down?

Check the LNB set-up in the Manhattan menu and make sure that the LNBF type and LNB Frequency is set to match the new purchased LNBF's LO Frequency. If the LNB type and LO Frequency is not properly set for satellite AMC4, the receiver will not scan in the channels as the receiver would be looking for the channels on the wrong frequency.

The Fortec receiver should be repairable, but it may not make sense $$$$$. Shipping in /out and a bench fee of $35 adds up to half the cost of a new receiver.

Last edited:
While I'm sure Brian has far more experience with that receiver, there is one thing I'd check.
Replace the video cable from the FTA receiver to your TV set.
If you are using composite, try S-video, or Component (if available), too.

I'm assuming you've checked the TV set on that particular input...? ;)
... by feeding the TV from a different source (DVD player is good choice).

The LNBF that I put on is a SL1 Geosat Pro single standard KU bullet. I went in and changed the manhattan to the correct Lo Freq. but it still does not pick up the channels.

I've added a picture of a spread sheet showing some of the channels that I picked up with the power scan on the fortec. What is strange to me is that I never got a level or quality signal on either of the receivers and the only way that I found the channels was to do the power scan on the fortec. Iceberg said that I should be getting a maxed out signal on 3abn; I have a 99 quality signal for the 3abn channels so I don't know what the problem is. When I switch over to the Manhattan it won't pick anything up. Unplug it and plug the fortec back in and all the channels are there.

One more thing, when I go to the channel setup menu on the manhattan, I notice that the level signal turns green and is at around 54% but it only shows for a quick second then disappears. It's as if it doesn't recognize the lnbf attached to it.

Anyway, any thoughts are welcome.
Alex
moz-screenshot-3.png

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 169
Connect the Manhattan to the Loop Out of the Fortec.
Set the Fortec to the needed Transponder, and while you have a Lock on the TP, power up the Manhattan at the same time, see if you have Quality on the Same TP.

All of the channels that you scanned in are on AMC4, so you are on the right satellite.

The channel frequencies that you scanned in with the Fortec appears to be 100MHz off. This makes me think that either you have either an Universal type LNBF (maybe a UL1?) or the LO type has been selected in the Fortec Star to be Universal type with the LNBF frequency is set to 9750/10600.

1. Is the LNBF is a GEOSATpro SL1 (Standard type) and not a GEOSATpro UL1 (Universal type)? (Look at the LNBF label)

2. What is the LNB LO Frequency setting for the Fortec Star?

Do not use the frequencies that you scanned in with the Fortec Star. They are NOT correct. Please use the frequencies in the thread that I provided last evening.

Making Progress

Hey Vantage, that worked great:). I was able to get all the channels on AMC4 but it did not pick up AMC1. It was not my initial intent to get AMC1 but after picking that sat up, my wife liked the ability to get the history, bio and gospel music channels. I noticed that the only sat programmed into the manhattan is AMC4. I tried to put AMC 1 in but in the channel search window it shows (0.0) for coordinates. I can't find anywhere to change that to 103.0

Any thoughts on how to program another satellite coordinate into the manhattan

Alex

Those channels are on AMC4 not AMC1. Your dish is correctly aimed at AMC4. Leave your receiver tuned to AMC4, because you are not aimed at AMC1. What frequency is the Manhattan displaying when you receive 3ABN looping through the Fortec Star?

Once you figure out why the LNB LO frequency is incorrect, you will receive the Adventist Channels along with these additional channels if the correct transponders are scanned.

FFE (formerly Gospel Music TV) 11860GHz / Horizontal / 28138 Symbol Rate

Bio / History 12060GHz / Horizontal / 26700 Symbol Rate

Last edited:
Going through the loop
Hope 11983 5900
LLBN 12020 2034
3ABN 11822 5700

I tried manually putting in the freq and s/r to FFE, History and Bio but it won't pick them up.

Here are my Antenna Settings
Antenna = 1
LNB Type = Single 10750
LNB Power = H/V (It has options of 14v skew on, 18v skew on and off) I've tried 14v skew on but nothing
22KHz Tone = off
DiSEqc = off
12V = off

Under Channel Search
Search Index = 1
Antenna = 1
Satellite = AMC 4 (101.0W)
Search Mode = Manual All
TP Data = TP3:3ABN
LNB Skew = -45 (I don't see anywhere where I can change this, when I toggle through the options it skips this and does not let me highlight it)
Positioner = None

Ok, I think I finally got it. Did a search on each individual TP after plugging in the freq's that you gave me Brian and I've got all the channels. Got a bunch of other channels too that don't show a picture like fox business and say dummyEventName on the program title.

Thanks for are your help guys.

Ok, I was able to get all the channels by entering the correct freq. from above and doing a search on each TP. Now I disconnected the loop and plugged right into the Manhattan and nothing. The channels are all entered but get no signal.

is the LNB power set to on on the Manhattan?

When you used the loop out, the Manhattan receiver gets the LNB power from the 2nd receiver.

Check all settings on Manhattan

In the Manhattan LNBF settings, LNB Power = H/V, does it have an Auto setting? If not, set to 18V.

Do you have a volt meter? If so check the voltage at the LNBF on the coax coming from the Manhattan receiver. Place the meter on DC setting and place the red lead to the center conductor and the black lead to the outside of the fitting. Does the voltage read 18VDC +/- 2volts?

If not, connect the Fortec Star and test the Voltage reading. 18VDC?

All right, for some reason I can't get my voltmeter to give me a reading. It's been in the tool box for a while and who knows, it's probably fried to. Anyway, I hooked my sat finder to the fortec and it powered the sat finder. I then plugged into the Manhattan and the sat finder's light did not turn on. It seems that the Manhattan is not sending power out of the coax connection. I've looked at the settings. It does not have an automatic setting only 14v Skew on, 18v Skew on, H/V and off. I've tried toggling through all the options and can not get anyone of them to power the sat finder.

Is there something else that I need to switch on or is it possible that I've killed two receivers and one voltmeter?

Alex

Usually there is a LNB Power on / off selection. Don't have a Manhattan at home, but could check tomorrow at the office.

You are on a bad stretch of luck! Personally, I would think twice before leaving the house today! :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Multiswitches and Bandstacked LNBs?

editing in a sattelite?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts