need help with homemade dish mover plz

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ynnedibanez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Greeneville, Tennessee
ok, money is kinda tight right now, so most anything i use for this hobby i need to either recycle or build myself.
i was just pointed at 101w ku before this.
first i started to put multiple super dish lnbs on a superdish,
but then i got to thinking that with parts i have saved, i could possibly build a dish mover and make a 1m primestar dish movable.
so i dug through my parts and built one.
i started with 2 direcway mounts and mounted them back to back
the one on the pole in the ground has the skew plate set at 0 so it is perpendicular to the ground
the skew plate on the one with the one with the 45deg mount pole is left loose so it is capable of rotating
i then set the mount on the pole in the ground at 45 deg el and set the skew on the rotating skew plate at 0 and put a level on top of the mount and adjusted the elevation on the 45 deg mount pole to level the top of this mount so the 45 deg mount pole is at exactly 45 deg
i then mounted the primestar mount upside down on the dish and mounted it on the pole.
i then moved the elevation on the mount on the pole in the ground to 48 deg because that is the elevation of my true south satellite (83w at 180.4) and adjusted the elevation on the dish its self to 45 deg to offset the elevation on the 45 deg mounting pole.
i then adjusted the azimuth on the mount on the pole in the ground and peaked the dish at 10.1 db sig to noise on my birdog.
by using a battery charger on the motor on the superjack actuator it allows me to rotate the dish.
it takes quite a bit of movement to loose 83w and i have yet to hit anything else by using the actuator.
i assume that my declination angle is off by a mile, but i'm not sure how to fix this because this is my first attempt at a movable dish.
any help would be greatly appreciated, as i am at a loss at how to get this to work, but in theory it seems it should, and it looks like it would.
here are some pix
thanks for any help,
Denny

Attachments

• IMAG0018.JPG
    IMAG0018.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMAG0027.JPG
    IMAG0027.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0026.JPG
    IMAG0026.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMAG0025.JPG
    IMAG0025.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0024.JPG
    IMAG0024.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG0023.JPG
    IMAG0023.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMAG0022.JPG
    IMAG0022.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMAG0021.JPG
    IMAG0021.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG0020.JPG
    IMAG0020.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMAG0019.JPG
    IMAG0019.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
That should get the Engineering Award for 2010! I have to say, I can't quite tell what all that is, but if it works somewhat, then it might possibly work completely with some adjustment. And if the adjustments stay put!
I'll sleep on this one, lol , but my first suggestion is to put the dish at the true south satellite for you, check the angle on the bracket at the dish. If I remember it correctly from when I built my Primestar-on polar-mount project, it should be around 22degrees at the dish-bracket. Of course it's easier to do with an angle-finder, hope you have one. If you're able to get your true south bird then, and if the dish itself 'skews' as it moves east and west, it should be able to track the arc. The bracket on the pole in the ground may have to be adjusted some, I would think starting out with that bracket set at your elevation (for your site), just like you're installing a regular H-H motor. Let us know how it progresses, that is a very interesting contraption.

Plans for dish mover

here's a rough sketch with calculated measurements for you. the measurements are calculated for Greenville, TN in general. details are in the drawing. the idea is to emulate a simple H-H motor using your spare parts. with your enginuity you should render a working model. your current aparatus is obviously not geometrically correct, you have the right idea but it isn't in sync with the arc. hope it helps you spark some ideas. just McGuyver it and it should work :D

Attachments

• HM_dish_mover.JPG
    HM_dish_mover.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 256
well, you guys were right :)
it was out of sync
i had the elevation on the pole in the ground at 48 deg (the elevation of my true south sat) and adjusted the elevation on the dish till i locked 83w
i went back and set the elevation scale to my latitude (roughly 36.25deg)
and then adjusted the elevation on the dish till i locked 83w again
now when i move it i get a lock on 83, 87, and 89 with decreasing quality the further i move from 83, so i'm getting closer.
McGuyver, your sketch looks great!
if i cannot get this to work adequately, i will definitely give that a try!
thanks for the ideas guys :)
Denny

well, you guys were right :)
it was out of sync
i had the elevation on the pole in the ground at 48 deg (the elevation of my true south sat) and adjusted the elevation on the dish till i locked 83w
i went back and set the elevation scale to my latitude (roughly 36.25deg)
and then adjusted the elevation on the dish till i locked 83w again
now when i move it i get a lock on 83, 87, and 89 with decreasing quality the further i move from 83, so i'm getting closer.
McGuyver, your sketch looks great!
if i cannot get this to work adequately, i will definitely give that a try!
thanks for the ideas guys :)
Denny

that's good news! it sounds like you may have to adjust the east/west position of the entire aparatus (at the ground pole) to correct. run the motor on both sides of the 83w and compare. try to lock on the 72w 12055 V 6890 that has a strong signal. adjust up or down to find it then check on the west side of 83w and compare.

The basic geometry of a polar mount is that the axis of rotation points directly at Polaris (the North Star), which rotates the dish in an arc that coincides with the Clark Belt on which the communication satellites orbit. Your axis of rotation appears to point to the center of the Earth.

Harold

Right. I see how the dish gets skewed, but don't understand how it adjusts for declination...

The gooseneck pole itself would have to rotate, not the thing it is mounted on....

well, after expiramenting with this thing all night, reading all the posts, looking at pictures of a dish motor, and watching a couple dish motor install videos, i see what you all mean.
i was able to get the birdog to lock 83w,87w, and 89w.
83w and 87w were the only satellites that i could lock well enough to watch.
when i moved it to 87w i noticed that the dish was skewed way too much for the lnb to be accurately polarized, it was still watchable, but i never got enough signal on 89w to scan in anything.:(
so, i guess its time to see what other junk i got laying around here and try something more like what McGuyver posted.
thanks for the input guys:)

Looks like you need some more research. You're rotating the wrong axis and it's not pointing at Polaris (the North Star). See the attached picture.

Harold

Attachments

• Foobared_Polar_Mount.GIF
    Foobared_Polar_Mount.GIF
    390.5 KB · Views: 237
its amazing how much more things make sense after a good nights sleep:D
tracking from 111w to 72w right now:D
(probably getting a few more further eastern sats, but my birdog doesn't have any sats listed between 72w and 30w on it right now.)
it still could use some fine tuning
but man, its kinda ugly:rolleyes: lol
i like it, but the landlord might not;)
and i think that i might do better to make it mount more like a c-band dish anyway
(don't know why that didn't occur to me before:rolleyes:)
heres some pix,
the last one is a little control box i built that has a dpdt switch for east or west and a pushbutton to move the actuator
i got tired of holding battery charger clips to it:)

Attachments

• IMAG0019.JPG
    IMAG0019.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG0020.JPG
    IMAG0020.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMAG0021.JPG
    IMAG0021.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0022.JPG
    IMAG0022.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAG0023.JPG
    IMAG0023.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 192
Glad you?e getting somewhere with it! In the daylight, it even looks stranger, haha. Looks like you're right on the street too, hope some drunk doesnt take it out!

yeah, my mailbox is a frequent beer bottle target:mad:
the road is down an embankment about 8 feet where the dish is and it is close enough to the road that someone would probably have to lean out the window to throw something at it.
they can hit my mailbox all they want, if they just leave my dish alone!!;)

i just got that, lmao!!
took me a minute:rolleyes:

Hey, I'm glad you have a sense of humor because we need a laugh once in a while but I'm not laughing at your invention, it's really ingenious as a matter of fact! One thought after seeing it in the daylight, couldn't you shorten the tailpipe so it doesn't drag on the ground or is that a low-rider? :eek:

The longer pipe may have something to do with how it's tracking, the long length might cause it to have a wider arc than the satellite arc, just a thought I wanted to share. It's really hard to comprehend the mechanism without seeing it in action. Keep up the good work, you never know what it may bring.
Just remember the Wright brother's. :D Nice pics by the way.

well, after about 8 hours of mods and adjustment today, i got smokin hot sig from 72w to 127w:D:D:D:D:D:D
1 of the brackets limits me to a west max of 127, after another mod or two, i should be able to go further.
east i am blocked by trees, i might be able to squeeze out another sat or two before they block me, but i will have to try that later.
i just watched my first raw news feed!!!!!:D:D:D
man, there is a lot more up in the sky when you are not just on 1 satellite!!!!
well, back to adding sats and blindscaning:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)