Need help with hooking up external sound from Emerson 32"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
I bought the flat screen about 3 yrs ago. On the back, it has a connection that is colored orange. (Circle connection.) Not sure if this is the sound output. Using newer Roku 2 HDMI and the tv does have the multi colored outputs. Ive hooked up a cord that is also tipped orange, and there is a feature in the menu to turn off its speakers. Lost manual, don't even know if what I'm trying is close to getting it right. Thanks, Andy

I bought the flat screen about 3 yrs ago. On the back, it has a connection that is colored orange. (Circle connection.) Not sure if this is the sound output. Using newer Roku 2 HDMI and the tv does have the multi colored outputs. Ive hooked up a cord that is also tipped orange, and there is a feature in the menu to turn off its speakers. Lost manual, don't even know if what I'm trying is close to getting it right. Thanks, Andy
Just looked on the back of an Emerson I have sitting here.Orange jack is digital audio output,(coaxial RCA jack,not optical).So it should be an output from the tv,not to the tv,something to go to an amp (digital audio input,same orange jack) for Dolby etc.

Reactions: andy_horton
Just looked on the back of an Emerson I have sitting here.Orange jack is digital audio output,(coaxial RCA jack,not optical).So it should be an output from the tv,not to the tv,something to go to an amp (digital audio input,same orange jack) for Dolby etc.
Ok. Good to know. Now, I've got 2 audio systems. 1 is older, surround sound, but it uses the older multi color green, blue, red, white, etc connections for HD and the red and white for audio. When I had Comcast, I used just the red and white from the X1 to the surround sound and got sound on all 5 speakers (I think..). I have a newer soundbar. It is an Ilive. It's got the yellow, red and white in, plus the green, blue and the other colors needed for an HD connection. Also got a deck for an Ipod, never used that. Always uded just the red and white for inputs. Looked for an orange, didnt see one. Would I use either the white or red as default in place of an orange? Just don't know enough about it. Thanks for your help. Andy

Typically ;
yellow/red/white,composite video/right channel analog audio/left ch audio

green/blue/red/red/white,component video/right ch/left ch analog audio

orange, spdif coaxial digital audio

HDMI,digital video and audio

optical,digital audio

Scart,digital video

red and white,stereo analog audio
The Emerson I have here only has a digital (orange) audio output,no red/white out.So unless you have something that accepts the spdif input or your Emerson has a red/white output,you're out of luck getting audio from the TV.Only other option would be something between the tv and sound system that can take the orange and convert it to red/white.

Reactions: Foxbat
You can find S/PDIF coax-optical convertors if your AVR doesn't have a digital coax input but does have TOSLink (Optical S/PDIF) inputs. $12 or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts