Need help with my satellite setup - how to set up multiple receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avirex

Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
USA
Hello all.

We are looking to setup satellite in our building for FTA content (Arabic channels), with 2-3 dishes and about 10 receivers. What is the best way to approach this set up?

My understanding is that we'll need a multiswitch. There are "active" and "passive" multiswitches available, so which one would be best to use (brand and model)? We want to ensure the most reliable and best quality signal, but I believe the active multiswitch will be better but require power which is probably not easy to get on the roof. Can the cables be joined at the multiswitch within the building itself so the multiswitch can be in a network closet near the top floor?

We haven't purchased the receivers or dishes yet, so any recommendations on those to make everything play nice together would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks Mikey.

Do you know what the max recommended distance would be between the LNB's and the multiswitch? It will be difficult to find reliable power on the roof, so I was thinking we could join up the cables at the multiswitch inside the building.

Also I'm assuming there is no harm with buying a "bigger" multiswitch (like 17x26) since we may expand later... or would the larger multiswitch inherently produce worse signal strength?

Thanks.

To really answer that question, we may need a little more information. In the FAQ section above Switch setups simplified will give you a very complete view of switch setups to do just that. The type of switches you are asking about sounds like way too much work. I have four satellites (4 dual LNBFs) on TWO multiswitches each going to 8 other switches that therefore go to 8 receivers. The multi switches are powered, and most of my runs are about 200 feet total. 25 feet from dish to switches which are inside.

Last edited:
If you're building a personal system, and/or pinching pennies, then the example in Switches Simplified FAQ is easy to implement.
If you're installing a professional system for a well-paying client, then maybe those high-dollar switches are more appropriate.

We recently had someone come here to the forum who needed to put in multiple receivers and dishes for a language school.
In the end, he had experience with DishNetwork bandstacked LNBFs and switches, and chose to make his system on that technology.
Not a recommendation, but as he wasn't a newbie, it worked well for him. - :up
(saved on cable runs to the roof of a very tall building, used cheap switches he had, etc.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)