Need info about switching from 3LNB SD to HD setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ghostfinger

Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
48801 Central Michigan
Hi, I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm still using the old Standard signal setup of a 3LNB 18X20 dish. I've never been to worried about going to HD, however I developed a problem this year that I'm thinking might be fixed by switching to an HD dish.

I moved last winter and put the dish in the only place I could and everything worked great... until the leaves came out on the neighbors trees, then I lost my locals. 119 is completely blocked 95% of the time, zero's on all transponders. If it's really windy it will come in and out a little as the branches move. No other spot to move the dish with any line of sight at all. Which means a big hassle of getting and installing a taller pole... or I was wondering...

What if I switch to HD? Those use different satellites right? My current 101 and 110 transponders come in great, all high 90's except two or three that at 88 or 89. So I'm wondering, if the HD satellites are over closer to 110 & 101 I think I could get them in fine. Of course I'll have to get an HD dish, but that will be a lot easier then putting in a new pole. My DVR is even already HD capable, it's an HR22.

So I'm wondering, knowing I have great line of sight to 101 and 110, and basically none to 119, do you think I'd be able to pick up the HD satellites and regain my locals by switching?

Since all HD comes from the sats at 99 or 103 you should be fine with your current dish location. However, you'll need to replace your old Phase III dish with a Slimline SL3 dish. This dish needs a 2" OD pole, your old dish's mast won't work. I suggest you search around here in the forum for other information.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys Ghostfinger!

Another issue is that your local sd channels are on 119. Unless something has changed, Directv requires you to get 119 unless your sd locals come from 101, which they apparently don't. The way around this requirement is to get an independent to do the install with the sl3 lnb, or do it yourself. BTW, how did you get them to activate an HR22? It's supposed to require hd service, but you can't get hd with the dish you have.

When you moved in last fall did you do a self install??
If so just self instal a SL3 slimline dish
Remember to change dish settings to match in receiver set up
Don

:welcome to Satelliteguys Ghostfinger!

Another issue is that your local sd channels are on 119. Unless something has changed, Directv requires you to get 119 unless your sd locals come from 101, which they apparently don't. The way around this requirement is to get an independent to do the install with the sl3 lnb, or do it yourself. BTW, how did you get them to activate an HR22? It's supposed to require hd service, but you can't get hd with the dish you have.
Hopefully, DirecTV would allow the install if the subscriber also gets his locals in HD. The 119 SD local requirement shouldn't be necessary if they are.

Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like switching will be the easy solution. Yes I did do a self install of the SD dish, and I plan on doing the same for the HD. So, sounds like all I need do is install the SL3 slimline and upgrade my package to HD.

As far as my receiver goes, my old one went bad a couple years ago and I got a used HR22. When I called to activate it on my account, they did so with no problem. I looked on directv's site and all my locals except one of two PBS stations are available in HD, and I'm not worried about losing one of two PBS stations.

I live alone and only use one receiver. My current SD LNB's have the four outputs with only two used for the DVR, I see there are some SL3 slimline LNB's like that and others with only one out and splitters for sale on Ebay. I'm thinking with my setup it would be easier to just go with the SL3 slimline LNB with four outputs. Am I right to think that, or would I need to use the single out type?

EDIT: I notice that some ads on Ebay say things like: "HD RECEIVERS NEED BBAND CONVERTER TO GET ALL HD CHANNELS". What does that mean? Do I need something besides the SL3 slimline?

Last edited:
If you did your sd install, you can do the hd one. It's a little more complicated, but you can handle it, no doubt! You should get a sl3 that has four outputs, but just connect two of them, any two will do. The b band converters are necessary. Directv should sent you two with no problem, and no charge, too. They look like this:

Attachments

• bbc.jpg
    bbc.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 134
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)