Need recommendation for FTA receiver please(OTA Antenna suggestions)

Hi KE4EST,

Thank you for your reply.

Just to clarify, this request is for my personal property, there will no commercial use, or others users.

Any recommendations on a good OTA antenna I can get? I think you may have viewed my tvfool report, and I want to add that I am in a slightly wooded area.

I am considering Dish or DirecTv, but I don't really need all the channels, and the cost adds up to $500-$1000 a year.

Thanks!
Oxonian

Here's his TV Fool report:

Radar-All.png

This actually looks really good, all those green colored stations that state LOS, should come in with a half way decent fixed antenna outside, they're all in the same direction except KVVV. There's like 19 stations there and with whatever sub stations they carry, you'll probably end up getting around 40-50 channels or so. If you don't speak Spanish, the TEL [Telemundo] ones won't do you much good, but you still have Fox, CBS, PBS, ION, ABC, NBC, etc, pretty nice.

I don't know what to suggest for an antenna, the ones I use would be way over kill for the short distance you are from your towers, but I'm sure someone that knows antennas on here good will comment.

Reactions: oxonian
Hi KE4EST,

Thank you for your reply. I am ok with the price of the HD8200XL. Should I buy it from solid signal?

What is the benefit of a multi directional signal?

Finally, what do I need to determine where to locate it and what angle to place it at etc. Should I get someone experienced to install it for me?

Thank you so much,
Oxonian

Yeah, I have no affiliation, but have had great success with them before.
In your case you will probably be ok with directional. You do have some all around you though.
It just keeps you from having to use a rotor is most cases.
If you have any mechanical skills at all, no just get you a 30 foot push up pole or a couple of 10 foot TV mast sticks and put it up.
It is not real hard. Find a good spot and lean it up against the house(but temporary secured) and turn it around and scan a few times and turn and scan, until you see what works best.
You can even try different spots on your property. With you being so close to the transmitters, it probably won't matter much where you stick it.
Just hand rotate it once it it up and you find a direction that works best for you and then lock it down. :)

I think I am going to move this thread to the OTA section of this forum and you will get many more suggestions. ;)

What is the benefit of a multi directional signal?
Multi-directional refers to the pickup pattern as opposed to a different kind of signal. Many TV antennas that work at 30+ miles are more or less unidirectional (uni is Latin for one) and perform best in a 20 degree or so range in the direction that they are pointed. An omnidirectional (omni is Latin for "all") antenna doesn't have a directional nature.

There's that second CBS station (KBTX) that comes from the opposite direction that you might be able to pick up with an omni. Since you already have a CBS station (KHOU) at the 163 degree slot, it probably isn't necessary.

The danger of an omnidirectional antenna is noted in the tvfool chart by the a (adjacent) or C (same frequency) on the left. Both risk interfering with stations in the 163 slot.

You have good signal strength - a simple antenna such as this:
Freevision Outdoor HDTV Antenna by Winegard - for $35 at Homedepot
Might be all that you would need.
Bob

Since you dont need NHF Low (2-6) there is a antenna that would work just as well and isnt so big (or wide as it has no VHF Low elements)

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD7697P
and right now is on sale for 88.99 as their (deal of the day week)

or you might even can go smaller with this
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD7694P

I guess it all depends on how much money you want to spend
I am using a Winegard HD1080X 63 miles from Dallas available from Solid Signal for $29.99 plus shipping.

Personally, I'd do the HD7694P. Although, with your 'healthy' signal levels THIS may do
Maybe use a "J"Pole to stand it above the roof or eve.
Use a compass to aim it to the S.S.E.as shown on the radar map from the TVFool report .

What's going on with inserting links? looks like a mess, took a while to clean it up.

Hello friends,

I hope you are well, sorry for the absence.

So, given that there are a bunch of options, and many of them in sale, especially at solid signal, any suggestions on which one to go for?

I am looking for easy to use, i.e. install and forget as best as possible, as I am not good at working with tools and climbing on roofs!

I do not mind paying a bit more for peace of mind.

Thank you so much,
Oxonian

Here's all you need IMHO http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2485-/30-2485
antenna, j-[pole mount & coax. Although I'd use RG-6 coax, Better in a couple of ways. Should be able to get needed length (50, 100ft) with connectors installed locally at Menards or Lowes (or similar local retailer)
Aim the narrow end of the antenna to the SE. TV antenna installation listing Houston TX
Local school have an electronics lab/dept ? Maybe a a HAM (Radio amateur) club ? Maybe one of the kids there would install it. Shouldn't need much more than a couple of wrenches, portable drill with 3/16 drill bit and a socket and adapter to drive a few lag bolts.
I would install it, but the mileage charge would be big.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts