Need recording options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jackandh2o

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
Golden Valley AZ
Have had a VIP722 for quite a few years but recently have decided that we would like to have more recording choices. Would like to be able to watch a program and record 2 or 3 other ones. What do I need to do this and thank you.

Ray

Hopper 3 is the best receiver out there. 16 tuners plus PTAT that allows recording ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX on one tuner at the same time.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry, forgot to mention that I also have 2 other tv's that work off the 722. Will I need something else besides the Hopper 3?
You need Joey 3's as well for those 2 TVs. Note that all Joey's are HD minimum. (There is a 4K Joey but I would wait on that because there's reputedly a J4 coming out soon.)
Hopper 3 is the best receiver out there. 16 tuners plus PTAT that allows recording ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX on one tuner at the same time.
You know Jim, now that you've got me thinking about PTAT, it seems to me that, with 16 tuners, a Hopper could in principle expand it to quite a few other channels besides the big 4.

And finally I would like to inform jackandh2o that PTAT doesn't work if you don't subscribe to locals. Nevertheless, you can turn it on even though nothing gets recorded. What that does for me is also enable autohop. So any recordings I make of my local channels will get that indexing after an appropriate delay. Works great.

Don't forget your also going to be paying more with the hopper and the joey fees for the extra recording options..The hopper is either $10 or $15 month DVR fee and the joeys are $5 each per month..

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I avoided the $5/month joey fee by purchasing a firestick for the 2nd tv and using Dishanywhere(assuming you have decent wifi).Also avoided paying the $15/month Hopper fee(paying 10 instead) by calling loyalty when I upgraded.Plus they gave me a great price locked deal on programming.Yes I had to sign a 2 year contract.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
OP, FWIW, if you subscribe to locals (LiL) the H3 uses only ONE satellite tuner for all 4 of the big nets. So, whether you use PTAT or you set separate timers for each of the big 4 without PTAT, only ONE satellite tuner will be in use, so in such a case one can record up to 19 satellite channels at one time using only 16 tuners.

However, if you do not subscibe to locals via sat (LIL), then you can get the OTA tuner module that provides only 2 OTA tuners for the entire system for all your local station needs. Of course, you can still use the 2 tuner OTA module even if you do subscribe to Locals via sat (LIL). Locals via sat does not include any of the "Diginets" airing on local TV, although Dish now provides a few of these "Diginets" Eastern Feed via satellite, but not anywhere near the majority of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)