need some help/suggestion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ipodbill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
missouri
I replaced the LCD panel in my home theater system this morning with a new Sharp Quattron LCD. The problem I am having is that when my Blue Ray player is connected directly via HDMI, the panel displays correctly. The player is a LG BD390. When the player is connected thru my av receiver, an Onkyo tx-sr606, the lg boot up screen displays properly (480p) but 1080p wont display. I have a second blueray player, a samsung unit, that does the same thing. I have an old Toshiba HDDVD player and it works thru the av receiver (1080i) and so does my Directv HD receiver(also 1080i). All are connected with HDMI. I have tried different hdmi inputs on the panel to no avail. Everything worked properly yesterday with an older Sharp Aquos 1080 p panel. Suggestions?

Well, I know WHAT the problem is, but not how to fix it. The problem is in the HDCP handshake. BluRays have a 'feature' built in that refuses to pass the signal through unless the HDCP handshake is present. Take the 606 out of the equation and try connecting directly. If that works, then the signal is not being properly being processed by the Onkyo.

I have the an Onkyo 806 and had some of these problems when hooking up my projector. It turned out that I had discrepancies in output resolution. Had one set to 720p and the other to 1080p which caused the handshake to get lost during the up-conversion, Make sure everything is set to 1080p

yeah, hooking the bluray directly to the panel works fine. apparently my old panel did not have a handshake issue, but the new panel does.

i reviewed the manual this morning, i cannot set hdmi to 1080p as that setting doesnt exist. The hdmi output is set the pass through

Last edited:
OK, let's take it one step at a time.
- All connections HDMI
- Works when BluRay connected directly
- Works when old TV plugged in the same way (have you rechecked this to make sure nothing has changed? Might have dislodged cable)
- Neither BluRay player works, but HD-DVD does.

That pretty much nails it as an HDCP issue. We need to see what in the chain would cause the handshake to get lost. My thoughts are:
1. Upconversion/downconversion from BluRay to receiver
2. Upconversion/downconversion from receiver to TV. Make sure all paths are set to same resolution.
3. any split in the video path, like a second video output. I don't believe the 606 has a second video out though.
4. input assignment error. Are you certain that the HDMI is assigned to the proper channel. Are you hearing the sound from the BR? If not, you are not connected.

That's what i can think of now.

it will be a few days before i hook the old unit back up, this panel is heavy and my help wont be available until friday.
No 2nd video out, only one. Also the hdmi are assigned properly. I have switch the blue to hdmi port, that didnt resolve it. The resolutions for hdmi are set to passthru. Also, i dont get any sound from the bluray, only that initial lg bootup screen then nothing.

Another thing to try is to change the power on order. Turn on the TV first, then the receiver and finally the BR player.
If that doesn't work, try TV, BR player then receiver.
Switch it up through all combinations. Note that the BR player probably won't output a signal until after it has completed initialization, and that can take as much as 30 seconds, depending on the player.

BTW, I'm grasping at straws now.

i going to see if there is a firmware update for the tv tonight, the bluray player is upto date. i grasping now too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)