Need Some Help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

slccc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
Lubbock, Texas
I installed my *Choice satellite and receiver today. The process took about six hours! It took forever to locate the satellite but using a monitor and the receiver on the back of my truck I eventually got the signal. My signal strength locked in at 86. I called TVM to activate programming but they were not answering. Does anyone know when it's best to call them?

My problem is I cannot get channels 278-298 to showup on my guide. When I hit one of those channel numbers it automatically goes back to 299. I reside in Lubbock, Texas and used Mike Kohl's coordinates of 49.5 EL, 196.3 AZ, and 104 for SKEW (111.1 Dual Satellite). Will those channels show up once my broker activates my receiver or do I need to do something else to get those channels? I have a HD tv and purchased the 505 receiver with 75cm dish. Also, do I use just one of the ports on the LNB and just plug the others? I have single receiver and run it on one TV. Thanks guys for your assistance with my questions. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

The system worked after activation! No problems except my clock (24 hour clock) and guide are off (no data for hd channels and settings are for east coast need central settings).

Last edited:
tvm is in hamilton on eastern time, i do not know if she can get you cnetral time with a hamilton address

Using the same broker as you, mine is set to EST also. I suspect this might have to do with the broker's address; I',m just happy to be getting the programming and decided not to tinker with getting the time changed.

Also, seems best way to contact broker is to leave a VM. The longest I have ever had to wait for a return call is next business day. Very happy with this broker.

My problem is I cannot get channels 278-298 to showup on my guide. When I hit one of those channel numbers it automatically goes back to 299. I reside in Lubbock, Texas and used Mike Kohl's coordinates of 49.5 EL, 196.3 AZ, and 104 for SKEW (111.1 Dual Satellite). Will those channels show up once my broker activates my receiver or do I need to do something else to get those channels? I have a HD tv and purchased the 505 receiver with 75cm dish. Also, do I use just one of the ports on the LNB and just plug the others? I have single receiver and run it on one TV. Thanks guys for your assistance with my questions. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

e-mail is the easiest way to get ahold of them. :)

But once the signal is sent and your box takes it, those channels will come in :)

no need to plug the outputs on the LNB

Also, do I use just one of the ports on the LNB and just plug the others? I have single receiver and run it on one TV. Thanks guys for your assistance with my questions. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

The system worked after activation! No problems except my clock (24 hour clock) and guide are off (no data for hd channels and settings are for east coast need central settings).

Tell them you want central time zone. I would have thought they would have discussed this with you prior to activication. They should know that Texas isn't ET.

Although the Star Choice quad LNBF is covered very good with the plastic cover, I still connect the unused ports with either 75 ohm terminators which serve two purposes or thread on a connector with about a 1 inch cable attached with the centre conductor cut off . It mearly serves as a waterproof part for the port. Rain and wind sometimes act in strange ways.

Tell them you want central time zone.

You don't have that option when using a broker. The time zone is what it is at the address you are assigned.

Hope you're a Maple Leafs fan as you will get all their regional games on TSNALT (ch 401)

thta is what I thought too, you are stuck with the time the broker is in- i think you are btter off with edt- the movie network is available only in the east.

I have experience here in Canada with installing SC commercial MDU's (Multi Dwelling Units)

A few years ago....the incredibly smart engineering guru's at Star Choice HO made us terminate all open ports on every lnb, high frequency splitter and empty multiswitch port...........This caused 100's of service calls 6 months to 12 months later.

So, my experience is that using 75 ohm terminators to block open ports on the quad lnbf may cause the teminators to short and burn out the resistor inside the terminator cap. The terminators will become incredibly hot to the touch and cause the receiver to blink on and off and eventually burn out the receiver.

Terminators are great on minimal voltage cable systems (less than 3 volts) but are not designed for higher voltage (13/18 volt) satellite systems.

A short piece of coax and connector on it may short out the switch if just one sliver of ground wire touches the center conductor where you cut it or the ground can cause water to wick up the coax and corrode the lnb from the inside potentially causing the LNB to short or lose some frequencies.

Just a dab of RTV silicone on the end of each open port will protect the opening from the elements and you can easily pull that off to add another receiver to your home later.

Honestly, most quad lnb's installed in North America do not have anything covering the unused ports.

There's my 2 cents.......good luck!
Greg

I have experience here in Canada with installing SC commercial MDU's (Multi Dwelling Units)

A few years ago....the incredibly smart engineering guru's at Star Choice HO made us terminate all open ports on every lnb, high frequency splitter and empty multiswitch port...........This caused 100's of service calls 6 months to 12 months later.

So, my experience is that using 75 ohm terminators to block open ports on the quad lnbf may cause the teminators to short and burn out the resistor inside the terminator cap. The terminators will become incredibly hot to the touch and cause the receiver to blink on and off and eventually burn out the receiver.

Terminators are great on minimal voltage cable systems (less than 3 volts) but are not designed for higher voltage (13/18 volt) satellite systems.

A short piece of coax and connector on it may short out the switch if just one sliver of ground wire touches the center conductor where you cut it or the ground can cause water to wick up the coax and corrode the lnb from the inside potentially causing the LNB to short or lose some frequencies.

Just a dab of RTV silicone on the end of each open port will protect the opening from the elements and you can easily pull that off to add another receiver to your home later.

Honestly, most quad lnb's installed in North America do not have anything covering the unused ports.

There's my 2 cents.......good luck!
Greg

I've used 75 ohm terminators for quite a while on a lot of systems and never had any call backs.

If I am using a short length of coax with the centre conductor cut off, I also remove the braided wire. When inserted into the connector leave it a little back from where it should be and you will be alright.
Water doesn't work its way up my connections.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)