Need some info on cpu's

Covack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Down South
I have a dell 4600 pentium 4 3.0
I need a processor the pc shop says. How do I tell what type of processor I have,
northwood or prescot I think. I've got it out in my hand , searched online with numbers off of cpu, no go. I tried dell service tag lookup, all it gives is upgrades.
motherboard and p/supply have already been replaced
thanks for any info

What type of socket did you cpu come out of? That will be a big help in finding out what type of CPU you would need. Also if you could post what is printed on your CPU somebody might have a clue what it is.

pin type, socket, hope that is what You mean
Intel M 03
Pentium 4
3.0GHZ/1m/800
SL7E4 Phillippines
7415A227

6416A605

you can run a
Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, or 3.0 GHz internally and 800 MHz externally; or 2.26, 2.4, 2.53, 2.666, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally.

well i took to long to post lol

others have answered

Thanks to You Guys,
I have my PC up and running again, I ordered the cpu and popped it in.
Windows loads up slow, other than that, it is running smooth again
I need to do some more tweeking somewhere

For any further information needed on your current system, you could always go to Dell.com and input the information in and they would tell you. I bought two Dell computers myself about five years ago, and to this day, they still have the information available in the support section.

Need some more help maybe,

I ordered the replacement 3.0 cpu, everything been working fine since last july when I installed it.
I was wanting to bump up to 3.6, for h264 feeds, is this possible, without changing anything other than the cpu itself.
George I noticed in Your post, 3.6 is mentioned
I went to dell and all I could find was just replacement for what I already have
might not be worth it. thanks for any advice

You are pretty much at the max for your system. It was not a 3.6 processor that you could go with but a 3.06.

Thanks ,
I need to pay attention to what I'm reading

I guess I will have to get a faster PC
I've been reading on the dual core stuff, trying to understand all this
fast pc stuff

I was wanting to bump up to 3.6, for h264 feeds, is this possible, without changing anything other than the cpu itself.

Please take into account that a CPU's clock speed is NOT the end all number for a PCs performance. I have built numerous 2.2Ghz PCs that will out perform 3.0 and up PCs - it is the cumulative sum of all its parts of a well thought out system.

you could try a Newer Nvidia or ATI GPU which supports hardware decoding of h264 just check what kind of interface your graphics port is (AGP or PCIe)

I use the GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 and have zero issues with ANYTHING.

You REALLY need to up to PCIx16, a faster pipe. I am not sure that AGP will provide enough throughput; but the GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X likely will be the fasting AGP you can still find.

I'm at a point now with some of my old machines, where I don't even think it's worth it to upgrade/replace anything on a machine old "enough" to have an AGP video card slot. Nobody's really making AGP cards anymore. It's all PCIe now.

I started having issues with a motherboard on a PC I had for about 5 years now (P4 2.4GHz) and just wanted to replace the motherboard, but use all the same parts (AGP video card, processor, RAM). I think Newegg only had one or two mobo's that would even work for me, and they were as expensive, or more then the newest ones. I'll be saving up now to just replace the whole thing once it officially dies. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)