Need some opinions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gcrew

Sep 13, 2005
Here is the situation,

I have been a D* customer for seven years. I have always been happy with their programming and pricing, the only problems I have ever had is with their installations. I have had two installs done over the seven years, and am now on my third install with their movers connection, having recently moved into a new home. Had an electrician pre-wire the home with coax cable, so all the installer has to do is mount the dish on the side of the home, near the attic, and connect the cables.

When I called D* over 3 weeks ago, I informed them I would like the 5 LNB dish, as I wanted it to be in place when I move over to the HR20-700. The CSR stated if I was willing to wait two weeks, he could have the installer bring one out to me for an upgrade fee of $99. I informed him I had purchsed an HR10-250 over a year ago, and had spent $1000 on it, so the only way I would take the HR20 would be if it was given to me for free. He agreed, so I had an installtion date set for the 26th of October.

Here is where the problems start. I called D* to make sure the appointment was still good, they informed me it was all set, however, there would be no HR20 coming with it. I informed them this could not be right, as the CSR had specifically told me there would be one set aside for me, and that is why the appointment had been booked so far in advance. They said there is nothing they could do, its out of stock. In frustration, I cancelled my service. After thinking about it overnight, I called back, re-instated the service, and paid extra to make sure I would not be under any sort of contract.

Fast forward to Saturday, the installer calls me. He barely speaks English, but from what I can make out, he states he will not be coming, it is raining too hard, he will not get a good signal, and does want to drag his wet boots through my home. I agreed to reschedule the call. A few hours later, I get a call from the same installer, he wants to know why I haven't re-scheduled yet, and he is getting phone calls from his boss, who wants to know why the job is still open. He states to me his is getting "pissed off". I call D*, explaining what happened, and they call the local contractor, and conference me in. D* wants an installation for me for the next day, and they really go to bat for me, unfortunately the installer will not authorize any "force-ins", and the earliest they can get back to me is on Nov. 1st.

The bottom line:

Comcast could have had cable installed in my home two days after I moved in. In addition, in my area, they are offering $25 off the cable bill for 18 months for D* subs that switch over to them, and with the new HD dual tuner Tivo, I don't have to give up using actual Tivo software. Oh, and the installation would be much easier.

Other than Sunday ticket, which I do not subscribe to, what would I lose moving to Comcast? I have tried to stay loyal to D*, but their situation with their contractors is becoming ridiculous, and I have been without any TV in the home for over 3 weeks. Even my patience has its limits, so I am unsure what to do. What would you do?

Last edited:

damaged

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2005
South of Heaven
Since you're asking for opinion, I will say this, I hate Concast, and if it came down between D* and Concast, even if D* used tin cans and string to deliver black and white slide shows for 60 a month, I would still be using D*.

:)

Seabow

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 28, 2006
Here's my opinion.

Okay, so you ran into some annoying problems. It's not like the problems will drag on for a year. You'll be watching high def by next week and all of this will be a distant memory.

If you've enjoyed D* service and pricing for seven years now, why get upset over a couple of incidents?

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Here's my opinion. Okay, so you ran into some annoying problems. It's not like the problems will drag on for a year. You'll be watching high def by next week and all of this will be a distant memory. If you've enjoyed D* service and pricing for seven years now, why get upset over a couple of incidents?

Exactly; well said. And they are sub-contracted local installer problems; I would hold them more to task than laying the blame on the signal provider.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
I will agree with Charper, the downfall of many people blame Directv for local problems! When the Hr20 is working ( and when they get the software figured out) it will be a great box...so give them time!

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
If you are so pissed at D* switch. I blame you for your installation problems, you wanted the AT9 dish and you wanted the HR20 FREE. Your HR10 could have been installed with a Phase 3 dish and would work perfectly. When the inventory of HR20's builds D* would upgrade you free to the AT9 and HR20 maybe that would be in 2007 but your I want it NOW!!! is your real problem. If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence go try it out, you may be right or it may taste worse. Of course this is my OPINION only.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts