Need some projector advice

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ya know I keep looking at displays, especially 70", and Im about to the point its projector time. My living room is light controlled anyways, we usually have one small 40w lamp on at night and watch movies in the dark. Daytime is not much brighter.

I wanted some input when ya'll get some time:

• My living room ceiling is odd shaped and very high, so Id put the projector in the wall behind us, with a shelf. Our chairs back up to that wall, but I think we could just put it above us.
  • Its about 12-13' to the wall where the screen would be, but Im not sure how much leeway in screen size and focus adjustment these HT projectors have. I know the cheap ones I've used for presentations, you kind have to move them back and forth on a table to get the size you want, then adjust focus. Not sure if there are parameters I should look for after taking some room measurements. The wall behind me and 12-13 feet away to the other wall is pretty much not adjustable.
  • Finally, the way the living room is setup with the amp, avr, coaxial, I need to keep that in place on the screen wall and I may even make the screen where I can pull it down over the VT50 and keep the plasma on the wall. Question is, to keep from running a super long HDMI up and over the ceiling (attic access there is ridiculous), is there a wireless HDMI solution that could be on the output of the X4000 AVR, to send video to the projector? Power would not be an issue.

Thanks.

Ya know I keep looking at displays, especially 70", and Im about to the point its projector time. My living room is light controlled anyways, we usually have one small 40w lamp on at night and watch movies in the dark. Daytime is not much brighter.

I wanted some input when ya'll get some time:

• My living room ceiling is odd shaped and very high, so Id put the projector in the wall behind us, with a shelf. Our chairs back up to that wall, but I think we could just put it above us.
  • Its about 12-13' to the wall where the screen would be, but Im not sure how much leeway in screen size and focus adjustment these HT projectors have. I know the cheap ones I've used for presentations, you kind have to move them back and forth on a table to get the size you want, then adjust focus. Not sure if there are parameters I should look for after taking some room measurements. The wall behind me and 12-13 feet away to the other wall is pretty much not adjustable.
  • Finally, the way the living room is setup with the amp, avr, coaxial, I need to keep that in place on the screen wall and I may even make the screen where I can pull it down over the VT50 and keep the plasma on the wall. Question is, to keep from running a super long HDMI up and over the ceiling (attic access there is ridiculous), is there a wireless HDMI solution that could be on the output of the X4000 AVR, to send video to the projector? Power would not be an issue.

Thanks.

First, light control is a bigger issue on a front projector. Given your need to have perfect image, you really need to look at focused lighting and dark walls, ceiling and furniture. Any light hitting the screen will affect the picture more than you can likely tolerate.

Second, I usually recommend a fixed screen, and an AT one if possible with the speakers behind it. If you need to keep that plasma, then you will need a retractable screen. Don't cheap out on this, or you will have problems long term. You need to look for a tensioned screen, preferably with a woven material as the vinyl will stretch with use. Lots of $$ over that $250 vinyl fixed screen I use.
I have no problems with shelf mounting on the rear wall. That's how mine is mounted. A couple of things to consider. First, I set up my shelf with a bit of extra room and a gap against the wall This allowed extra input cooling for my Epson. Make sure you have good airflow.
Second, look for a projector that offers mechanical vertical and horizontal lens shift. The electronic lens shift usually compromises resolution. Watch your throw distance. Use the calculators at projector central to make sure you are not at the end of the zoom at your distance and screen size.
Next, consider whether you want to mask for 2.35 material. This can be done with a retractable screen, but it requires that you have motorized lens shift. These days the anamorphic stuff tends to be done electronically as a physical anamorphic lens is quite pricy. Make sure you can handle it. The alternative is to leave it all alone and build a masking layer, but this tends to work better with a fixed screen. Personally, I don't bother. I am able to ignore the unlit border on the screen and my room is width limited. Again, a perfectly dark room with dark wall and ceiling help a whole lot here.
I don't have any experience with wireless HDMI. They are out there, but I moved my equipment to the back of the room near the projector. My to-do list includes building a rack into the rear wall. If you do go this route, be aware of the frequencies in use. 2.4 GHz tends to be overloaded in most households and you could very well have issues with routers and other appliances.

The Panasonic is highly regarded over at AVSForum. I picked the Epson because it had high reliability, had a very long range of throw distances, good lens shift and a long bulb life. Although others have had bulb issues, mine is now over 4000 hours and going strong. I will probably replace soon and keep existing bulb as a spare as I have been noticing some dimming, but that's a long time for a bulb.

Plus my Epson cost half of what you are looking at for the Panny. I thought it was good bang for the buck and something I could enjoy. It has worked out that way for me, but I can see why you might want the improved features.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Pro_Cinema_6030UB.htm

The 5030 and 6030 were two more I was looking at. Another need would be calibration control like grayscale, gamma and CMS. This is something id definitely get a calibrator in for. Looks like the Panny is over a year old, and its gonna be 2 months or so before I buy, might could get it a little cheaper, or miss it all together.

Epsons are also a little brighter. I wouldn't use a wireless HDMI video solution. You'll have headaches. Are you looking at this for your current place or when you move and build your new place? I would go larger than 92". I started at 100 16:9 before moving to a 2:35 screen at 130.

S~

This is current place, so its not something I want to go wild with in cable runs.

I was hoping some of the $200+ wireless solutions with good reviews would be reliable.

Just looking at my room, at 12 feet, these projectors would offer 80" wide (not diagonal) 16x9, and thats pretty nice.

it also did seem the epson was quite a bit brighter than the panny 8000. I think the panny was 22fL and the epson was like 30 according to Proj Central.

I would install the projector and project it to your wall and experiment with the zoom for the most desirable image size, then order your screen, no guessing.

Yeah, I figure get the projector and just hold it in the area I have to put it to determine height and screen size from the 12-13'. My max screen width (not diagonal) is about 90", so that should be plenty at 12 feet.

That's the one I was thinking of when I posted. Once you view an LCD front projector, you'll stop pm'ing me about tvs ;)

S~

Ok. Got home and took some actual measurements and put them in the projector central calculator for the Epson 5030UB.

Wall to wall is 12' 9", and the max width screen I can do is around 85".

Considering a shelf on the wall behind us, I figure the lens will be 18" from wall (I assume throw distance is lens to opposing wall) which leaves a throw distance at 11' 3". According to the calculator for that projector, the results are 85" diagonal for 16:9 and 80" for letterbox. That is actually outstanding, it fits my area and is 20" more than the 65" I have now. It says brightness is 34fL with a screen gain of 1.0, and thats what Im basically used to now with the plasma.

Only thing I have to figure out is shelf height, because I know it can only be so far above the screen center I need.

Thats a good idea. I have a limit how low the screen can be because of my center channel, so I get that all worked in for height and then play with the shelf.

OK, screens...

Should I go with the 1.0 gain the calculator recommends, at 34fL, or up to a 1.1 (38fL)?

Brand?

If the calculator is correct and my screen area for 16x9 is going to be 42"Hx74"W, how big of a screen should I get?