Need some projector advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
We do watch movies in the dark, but it was still like CSI, Bones, Walking Dead that I was concerned about.

This is why I have 2 complete setups. I watch TV and other stuff where activities are going on with the plasma. The projector is for 'turn the lights off and shut up, we're going to watch a movie'

Thats why I wonder if I should not buy a pull down style screen, and only use the FP when its movie time. I can mount it to the wall where with pulled down it covers the plasma.

We do watch movies in the dark, but it was still like CSI, Bones, Walking Dead that I was concerned about.

I watch hd sports/tv then blue ray would be a distant second. Lights on when watching sports/tv.
Your screen choice will be your deciding factor IMO.

Thats why I wonder if I should not buy a pull down style screen, and only use the FP when its movie time. I can mount it to the wall where with pulled down it covers the plasma.

I think so. But spend a bit more and get a tensioned screen so it is flat.

model and brand of LCD? Its the Toshiba 42hl167 slim wall mount (very little clearing between mount and wall) and I use a 100" elite screens pull down (its not tension-ed but I have been lucky so far and its not got any wrinkles and Very little curling) I also use a HD33 projector as of right now, and its been an awesome projector.

Edit: its an older tv but we love it, and this setup has been GREAT for us, my wife uses the LCD during the day if the boys watch cartoons or anything like that and then depending on what we are watching at night it gives us the flexibility to use either the LCD if we are watching some quick shows, or like last night we had family over and pulled the screen down and watched some football and a couple other shows. Its a very versatile setup which has me looking at a little more lumens for a projector...(hint hint anyone that has one they might not like and want to trade lol)

Last edited:

yep thats the one I have, its been great for me, great viewing angles....I have 3 other friends who have either the electric or manual version as well and so far none of us have any complaints at all....if it were me and I was doing it over i would look at the favi 100" electric as it has a 1.3 gain....but I have no complaints with my screen.

Is the 1.3 gain choice because you have some light?

This would be strictly no light at night for movies. What Im running into is, regardless of what comes out in 2014, nothing is going to surpass the look of my 65" VT50 in all conditions, at least not for what I want to spend. So I think the FP for movies in the dark is a good move, then keep the plasma on the wall for all the other stuff. I may even find at night with one lamp I can fire up the FP.

Is the 1.3 gain choice because you have some light?

This would be strictly no light at night for movies. What Im running into is, regardless of what comes out in 2014, nothing is going to surpass the look of my 65" VT50 in all conditions, at least not for what I want to spend. So I think the FP for movies in the dark is a good move, then keep the plasma on the wall for all the other stuff. I may even find at night with one lamp I can fire up the FP.

yep, I have a pretty light controlled room (blackout curtains etc.) but we have a doorway in the room that leads off of our dinning room, so there is a little light the comes in there..again, not bad by any means but enough that I think, how much better can this get with a higher gain screen or a little lumens...and dont think I am not happy with my projector, because this HD33 has been amazing for us, we LOVE it.

Cool deal.

It seems the main issue with a non tension manual pulldown is wrinkles, but the comments are that you can only see them in certain specific situations, and in a dark room that is diminished. Since Im not wanting to get too crazy until we build, which should be in 1-2 years, I dont think there is any need to get too crazy with a screen right now.

One other question. I read that reflections from lighter carpet and walls can cause issues. Is this a problem in the dark? My walls are carpet are a beige at best, maybe a little lighter (not white or creme though).

Is that a 1 gain vs a 1.3?

One other question. I read that reflections from lighter carpet and walls can cause issues. Is this a problem in the dark? My walls are carpet are a beige at best, maybe a little lighter (not white or creme though).

Is that a 1 gain vs a 1.3?

I have light blue walls, white ceiling and beige carpet...I am sure my contrast could be a lot better...but I havent been off put by it, I think what you are seeing is people pay 4,000 dollars for a projector and rightfully so want every ounce of juice they can get out of it...I think if you are looking for a living room projector your expectations need to change a bit, again its all personal preference and you have to ask yourself what you are truly looking for, as for me my setup works great for me. Does the paint make that big of a difference, to me no it dosent...to you it might. I will say everyone that has seen my setup loves it , even the guy that has a hw55es, he has a great projector but was very pleased by mine.

Last edited:
The only thing I can add is that the biggest improvement my theater saw was when I painted the ceiling and front wall a deep indigo. A dusty indigo 2 shades lighter for the side wall. No only did it help with reflections on the screen, but it also helped with reflections off the screen to the audience.

I painted the whole ceiling, but I think you could get most of the effects by painting 1/3 of the way from screen to primary seating position. If the screen is far enough from the ceiling, I have heard of some reasonable results by placing a drop curtain a bit in front of the screen that stops just above the projection/viewing angle. My ceiling was too low for that trick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)