Need something quick, easy & good

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
My wonderful wife who feeds me so well is out of town for 7 days. :( I'm on day 3 out of 7 and am eating nothing but junk. Beer & chips just ain't cutting it. I started to go to the grocery store this morning and get a couple of things, changed my mind. Who am I kidding, whatever I get will just sit in the fridge till she gets back.
Looking for some simple ideas that require little preparation and at least halfway nutritious. For someone who loves to eat, one would think a few cooking skills would have been acquired at some point. Eating out all the time is not a good option either, too expensive. If there is anyone out there just fixing food for 1. I would love to hear some ideas. I am not completely helpless, just mostly. :D

Pierogi's and Kielbosi.

You have a grill, correct?

Grill the Kielbosi like you would a hot dog.

Slice up some yellow onions and saute in butter. Next, add the fresh store bought pierogi's and brown all sides until done. Add paprika to taste. If you can't find fresh pierogi's, buy the frozen kind such as "Mrs. T's" and cook according to the box.

Serve pierogi's with a dollop of sour cream and the kielbosi.

-This is a quick and easy meal. It's also one of my favorites! :hungry:

Perhaps you should just buy frozen meals, what we used to call TV dinners. Some of them aren't bad. And have some fruit you like to supplement in case the portion is too small.

Of course HD MM's suggestion is good too, as are the recipes in the listed thread. It just depends upon how much effort you're willing to put into it.

One of my all time favorites is ham, taters, and greenbeans. I cook them up in a crockpot then keep them warm throughout the day and eat them until they're gone. Use a thick ham slice and cut it into cubes. If you use fresh beans and taters it takes some time to cook them in the crock, a couple of hours at least. But this is a meal you can prep in the AM, let it cook on "low" all day, and it's ready when you get home from work. Or you can cheat and get the beans and whole white taters in large cans (Hannover brand comes to mind), dump that into a crock or pot, add pre-packed ham cubes (I generally buy cubes that are 95% fat free) and simply warm them up, fairly quick that way. Even quicker in the microwave as well. I usually add fresh mushrooms to either type (fresh or canned), and sometimes even a can of mushroom soup (displacing most of the natural water) to make a thick stock. Served with lotsa fresh cracked pepper....Mmmmmm...!!

I usually keep the canned ingredients on hand for a quick turnaround meal.

(Think I know what I'm having for supper this evening...!)

Last edited:
Try it with Glory brand.

Attachments

• Glory string_beans_with_potatoes.gif
    Glory string_beans_with_potatoes.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 256
Another easy meal is pasta and sauce.

Just buy the store bought noodles and cook per directions on the box. You can also buy sauce (alfredo or marinara) in a jar. If you want to get crazy, you can even take some bread and sprinkle some Italian Seasoning and Parmesan, then toss in the oven to make garlic bread!

Grilled Pork/Steak/Chicken seasoned with salt and pepper and a salad.....doesn't get much easier than that!

Another easy meal is pasta and sauce.

Just buy the store bought noodles and cook per directions on the box. You can also buy sauce (alfredo or marinara) in a jar. If you want to get crazy, you can even take some bread and sprinkle some Italian Seasoning and Parmesan, then toss in the oven to make garlic bread!

One very easy variation is to use the alfredo sauce and some frozen scallops. cook scallops for 2 minutes in hot frying pan with 2 tbs of olive oil. Then pour in the alfredo sauce and let it heat through.

I generally add some frozen brocolli and a small can of olives. I also pour some white wine or balsamic vinegar into the jar and shake it out for some added flavor.

Cook the noodles. I prefer rototelli because it holds the sauce better. drain and pour sauce and scallops over drained noodles. It is a ten to fifteen minute dinner.

Another easy one is strogonoff, although my recipe is for 3-4 people

Place rice in pan with 1 part rice to 2 parts water. Heat covered pan until it boils over. Turn off heat and let it sit 30 minutes to cook.

Brown 1 pound of ground beef with 1/2 a chopped onion. Drain the fat off. Add 1 beer and 1 package of Lipton's onion soup mix. simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1 8 oz package of fresh mushrooms. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Add 1 can of whole black olives.

Take sauce off heat and add 1 whole container of sour cream. Stir thoroughly and immediately pour over rice.

On second thought, this one is probably beyond the "simple" catagory, although I find it very easy to make.

I appreciate all the ideas. Crock pot meals are especially appealing, ready to eat when your ready.
After work this evening went by grocery store and fixed a fresh salad from the bar. Lettuce, spinach lettuce, cucumbers, black olives, hard boiled egg slices, cherry tomato, purple onion, bacon bits, shredded cheese, jalapeno slices, topped off with Italian dressing. Along with salad had a "Boston Market" lasagna with meat sauce, layered with ricotta & mozzarella cheese. Very soul satisfying meal rinsed down with a glass of red wine.
After I get home & before I eat. I have my critter family to feed first, 4 horses, 3 cats, 1 dog, & 2 canaries. Every one of them is at attention when I get out of my truck. I honestly don't know how some folks manage to find the time to prepare a decent meal. My wife has certainly spoiled me with her cooking over the years. I only have a couple of more days to go, so far so good. Thanks for all the great responses. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)