Need to edit two shows that are on at the same time...

Radioscott

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
On an almost nightly basis, I need to edit down some audio clips from network TV shows. My current method is to record the show on my networked Series 2 TiVo off of my Dish Network 301 receiver. I then transfer the recording to my PC where I can use some audio editing software to get the clips I want.

The problem is that I would like to be able to record two shows that are on at the same time and still be able to edit the audio on my PC.

I have a few ideas, but I'd like to throw it out there to the much more knowledgeable folks on these forums. Obviously, the cheaper and easier the solution, the better. :)

You'll need two receivers. Use your TiVo to record one stream and your PC to capture the other stream live.
Thanks, but could you elaborate? Are you saying that I should connect a second receiver to my PC via a TV capture card?

Well, if you only want to capture audio, most PC sound cards (and virtually all Apple equipment as well) are equipped with an "Audio In" port, which is usually a headphone-sized jack.

Just get a cable with RCA stereo audio connectors on one end, and the aforementioned headphone-sized connector on the other. Such cables are commonly sold in discount stores and electronics stores as an "MP3 Connection Cable" or something along that line. The intention is to use the cable to connect an iPod or other MP3 player to a larger stereo system for playback. But it will work fine in reverse, for recording purposes. Just use the freeware Audacity or other such program to capture the audio live.

Audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Well, if you only want to capture audio, most PC sound cards (and virtually all Apple equipment as well) are equipped with an "Audio In" port, which is usually a headphone-sized jack.

Just get a cable with RCA stereo audio connectors on one end, and the aforementioned headphone-sized connector on the other. Such cables are commonly sold in discount stores and electronics stores as an "MP3 Connection Cable" or something along that line. The intention is to use the cable to connect an iPod or other MP3 player to a larger stereo system for playback. But it will work fine in reverse, for recording purposes. Just use the freeware Audacity or other such program to capture the audio live.

Audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I still need to get audio from two shows that are on at the same time. Are you saying that I should use a second Dish receiver and use an MP3 player to record audio from that second receiver?

Well, if Dish is your only source of programming, and you need to record the sound from two different programs that are both on air at the same exact time, you will either need a Dish receiver that supports a "TV1" and a "TV2" (like the model 622 or 322, or even the new release 222) OR you will need to have *two* Dish receivers.

Once you have your sources for the two separate channels, then you can record one with your TiVo as you were doing, and record the sound from the other program with the cable I mentioned, by plugging the RCA stereo connectors into the second Dish receiver (or second program output on a two-tv receiver) and plugging the small end into your PC's sound card "IN" port. Then you can use the program I mentioned above, Audacity, to record the sound.

An MP3 player is not required. I only mentioned it because the cable that you could use to connect a Dish receiver to your PC is often sold as an "MP3 connection cable." Just because stores label something one way, does not mean it has to be used for that purpose only.

Well, if Dish is your only source of programming, and you need to record the sound from two different programs that are both on air at the same exact time, you will either need a Dish receiver that supports a "TV1" and a "TV2" (like the model 622 or 322, or even the new release 222) OR you will need to have *two* Dish receivers.

Once you have your sources for the two separate channels, then you can record one with your TiVo as you were doing, and record the sound from the other program with the cable I mentioned, by plugging the RCA stereo connectors into the second Dish receiver (or second program output on a two-tv receiver) and plugging the small end into your PC's sound card "IN" port. Then you can use the program I mentioned above, Audacity, to record the sound.

An MP3 player is not required. I only mentioned it because the cable that you could use to connect a Dish receiver to your PC is often sold as an "MP3 connection cable." Just because stores label something one way, does not mean it has to be used for that purpose only.

Oh, I see. I misread your earlier post. That's a good idea. I even have a couple of mini-jack to RCA cables lying around. Hooking up a second receiver close enough to my PC is the hard part. I'm not sure how much the 622, 322, or 222 run, but I have a feeling it will be more than what I feel is worth it.

By the way, I thought I had found a solution to my problem. I bought a $60 USB tuner that receives ATSC signals--the WinTV HVR-950 from Hauppauge. Since, I mainly just need network shows, I thought this would work. But, I don't seem to be close enough to my local towers to get good enough signals. So, back to the drawing board.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts