Need to help customers, but just jumping in OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pitstop66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
midwest
I am a dish tech. In my hometown, the cable service just stopped service to our most local news channel in Lafayette, IN. Everyone wants this news channel, but cable is not supplying it, and dish does not provide to our county (though if you are in a surrounding county, they will). What should I offer customers who are upset? Complain to dish, or go OTA? Signal needed is about 50 miles..

I am a dish tech. In my hometown, the cable service just stopped service to our most local news channel in Lafayette, IN. Everyone wants this news channel, but cable is not supplying it, and dish does not provide to our county (though if you are in a surrounding county, they will). What should I offer customers who are upset? Complain to dish, or go OTA? Signal needed is about 50 miles..
First response is offer OTA then they can watch the missing channel and you can make money.
It would help to know what towns and channel you are mostly asking about. "www.tvfool.com" is about the best source for antenna and broadcast information.

Last edited:

All the stations in Indianapolis can be received with an outside antenna because before pizza dishes that was the only option. Whether people will want a pole and antenna is another story and depending on TV set if they'll need a converter box, but if your a good salesman you should get their business.

Also did they drop one local or all the locals out of the Indianapolis area?

Last edited:

Another option is to have your customers "move" over the county line so they can receive it on DISH. Not sure if you can suggest that as a E* employee/contractor though. Basically, change the service address to a valid but unsubscribed address over in the next county.

Also did they drop one local or all the locals out of the Indianapolis area?

The OP is in Lafayette which is a one horse (errr station) town (DMA)...WFLI CBS 18
The rest of the stations the market gets from Indy....DMA maps show 2 counties as part of the DMA...Tippecanoe & Benton Counties
indiana.gif

OTA should be an excellent alternative. It will also help you push HD receivers and HD DVRs out the door as those are the ones that can be outfitted to tune OTA.

I would not recommend any solution that involves switching inputs to work as that's just hokey.

Has anyone successfully launched a campaign with Neilson to get their DMA changed when it does a jump to something the people don't want?

The important issue is if your customers are going to stay with cable and want this as an add on. You are going to have to come up with a simple way to integrate this channel in with their cable system. If they have a CRT with a free set of RCA inputs then adding a tuner box is easy. An LCD user could get more complicated if they want the channel in HD. Having to get up out of the chair to flip a switch for the antenna connection is a no sale for you IMHO.

What is the best site to find the right antenna to get hdtv ota? I have spent the last 2 days and there seems to be conflicting advice.

First off any antenna even an old analog 20 years old will pick up HD signals, so to get the right size or type we need a lot more information from you like from www.[B]tvfool[/B].com so we can tell what's available to you.

What is the best site to find the right antenna to get hdtv ota? I have spent the last 2 days and there seems to be conflicting advice.
There is no "one size fits all" solution to OTA antennas. TVFool will give you a starting point with their color codes but you still have to take into account buildings, trees and reflections that it cannot.

Armed with the knowledge of what frequencies the TV stations use, at least you won't buy the wrong frequency range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts