Needing a good amp

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
My Antenna is over 100 feet from my house. I ripped down the dish network dish and put up my HDTV antenna. I tried it today but I couldn't get a signal. What sorta amp do I need to pull the signal in?

I know satellites use an in line amp but I am thinking it won't work because the receiver provides power through the line. (I put the wire in my mouth just to hold it one day and found out it was really powered. :eek: )

My Antenna is over 100 feet from my house. I ripped down the dish network dish and put up my HDTV antenna. I tried it today but I couldn't get a signal. What sorta amp do I need to pull the signal in?

I know satellites use an in line amp but I am thinking it won't work because the receiver provides power through the line. (I put the wire in my mouth just to hold it one day and found out it was really powered. :eek: )

well... you drop about 3 db per 100 ft on rg6 cable ...... on higher freqs more ...most of the digital is on uhf ... how far are your stations you are trying to get ...... why 100 ft to you ant ....how high is your ant ...

did you try tv fool or antennaweb....?????

I use an antennacraft 10G212 for my 200ft cable run up the tower and to the house. Works pretty well, even better than the Channel Master 7777. 30dB gain, adjustable. You can't go wrong!

Please post a TV FOOL report so we can see what kind of signal strengths you are dealing with. Also give a brief description of your antenna.

100 feet of RG-6 cable shouldn't a deal breaker with just 1 TV & a moderate amount of signal strength. You may possibly just need a different antenna.

Please post a TV FOOL report so we can see what kind of signal strengths you are dealing with. Also give a brief description of your antenna.

100 feet of RG-6 cable shouldn't a deal breaker with just 1 TV & a moderate amount of signal strength. You may possibly just need a different antenna.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=b7c8749564e252

This is the Antenna. I used all the sites to find the signals and things before hand. I can get a signal when the antenna is closer to the house I just needed to know what I needed to pull the signal from a great distance.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB4_HDTV_antenna.html

I am using RG6 I just ran all new lines for my Dish Network upgrade they never gave me. : /

Last edited:
You certainly have chosen the right antenna.:) I'm surprised it doesn't get all the stations in the yellow & green with only 100 feet of cable.:confused: (unless you are splitting the signal)

Your pre-amp choices are limited because of the moderately strong signal strengths at your location. A Winegard HDP-269 would be adequate for 2 to 3 TV's without risk of pre-amp front-end overload.

You certainly have chosen the right antenna.:) I'm surprised it doesn't get all the stations in the yellow & green with only 100 feet of cable.:confused: (unless you are splitting the signal)

Your pre-amp choices are limited because of the moderately strong signal strengths at your location. A Winegard HDP-269 would be adequate for 2 to 3 TV's without risk of pre-amp front-end overload.

i agree ... i dont see why he should have an issue ... pointing or wiring ?????

what about height?????

The DB4 should be getting something if aimed properly and your house isn't blocking the signal, even with 100' of RG-6. Perhaps the tvfool isn't for your exact location. A zipcode location only isn't accurate enough.

Your CBS is on VHF. The DB4 is a UHF only antenna. You'll need a different antenna such as the Winegard HD-7694P or a second VHF antenna (Y5-7-13 & UVSJ) to add to the DB4.

The Antennacraft amplifier mentioned is not a good choice because some of your signals are too strong for an amplifier with 30 db gain. The HDP-269 has 12 db gain and should not overload. Yet this advice is tentative until the tvfool report is checked for the right location.

Actually I get a quite a few of them but I can't get NBC or CBS :( and nothing since I put it on the further out pole. Its a straight run brand new RG6 solid copper with no splits other than a ground block.

Ok. I was planning on splitting the signal after I find it. :confused:

i agree ... i dont see why he should have an issue ... pointing or wiring ?????

what about height?????
It's not very high right now. 5 feet. I did have it up 20 feet but still couldn't pull in CBS or NBC at the other location. :(

The DB4 should be getting something if aimed properly and your house isn't blocking the signal, even with 100' of RG-6. Perhaps the tvfool isn't for your exact location. A zipcode location only isn't accurate enough.

Your CBS is on VHF. The DB4 is a UHF only antenna. You'll need a different antenna such as the Winegard HD-7694P or a second VHF antenna (Y5-7-13 & UVSJ) to add to the DB4.

The Antennacraft amplifier mentioned is not a good choice because some of your signals are too strong for an amplifier with 30 db gain. The HDP-269 has 12 db gain and should not overload. Yet this advice is tentative until the tvfool report is checked for the right location.
Well that explains no CBS. lol. Actually I wasn't expecting to pickup anything because of trees. Then I bought a $7 antenna rabbit ears put it outside and I could pick up ABC,FOX, and ION channels.

So thought maybe the $60 antenna would pull in the rest. Surprising I believe the $7 antenna picks up better. lol

Here is the correct tvfool link.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=b7c81a8275df44

You're probably to close for needing an amplifier. I second the recommendation for checking the wiring.

You might also try a lesser antenna (like a UHF bowtie or hoop) and see if your reception improves.

If there are multiple obstructions, you may be getting multipath from a too strong antenna. In this event, you need to get your antenna away from the obstructions.

You're probably to close for needing an amplifier. I second the recommendation for checking the wiring.

You might also try a lesser antenna (like a UHF bowtie or hoop) and see if your reception improves.

If there are multiple obstructions, you may be getting multipath from a too strong antenna. In this event, you need to get your antenna away from the obstructions.

To the East and West are a hill side full of Trees. I'm gonna run the wire directly to the antenna and not through the block ground and see what happens.

Its brand new directv (purchased legally) RG6 solid copper. I have 2 lines going to the pole straight with no splitters. They are underground in a plastic pipe.

Gonna get a cheap rabbit ears and put out there next see if that works. lol. The only way to get away from the obstructions (trees, I need to raise the antenna 500 feet in the air)

The wire is fine. It worked for my dish network I just took down the dish and unhooked the receivers.

Your terrain is blocking signal from most directions, even at 100 ft most stations are still 2 edge, so you need MORE antenna not less.

There are good strong signals at the top of the hill just west of your house, but you cannot easily get to them at your location.

All digital stations are UHF except CBS which is on channel 13.

I suggest a two antenna solution with a Winegard YA-1713 or similar for channel 13 and for UHF, either a 91XG or a Winegard 8800, join them with a CM 7777 preamp. Local signals are so weak no fear of overload.

If you want to go with one antenna - Winegard HD7698.

And mount the antenna on top of the house, more height, less line loss.

Last edited:
I agree with Jim5506 go back to your roof and go as high as possible. I've had good luck with a Winegard HD1080 at 60 miles over flat land.

Go to TVFOOL and change you heigth from 5 to 20 feet and 13 moves to the pink color, on a single story house that is only a 10' mast. Try it without an amp and as short a cable as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)