Neighbor taking satellite signal??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Apartment management had no idea what I was talking about when I called to ask if they gave permission for someone to use my dish. D* came out but were going to charge me to take the wires out of the dish so tomorrow I am going to figure out how to do that, then pull them out of the ground. Left a note for the neighbor still no visit from him. Called D* this morning about the installer wanting to charge me on Saturday then leaving without doing anything. The CSR seemed clueless. Looks like I have more work on my hands tomorrow!!!!

I'm telling you no b.s. Unhook the lines. Cancel your service call. Let the neighboor deal with it. Don't stress it. Once it unhook let him cry to Directv.

I do understand your point.

Im sure if you where not a satelliteguys member and where not tech savvy like a majority of the customers out there, you would never know what happened.

Typical situation, neither you or your neighbor would be aware that you where sharing the same dish.

But I would not setup a service call to disconnect this guys line. If its such as big issue, take a screw driver remove the LNB and unscrew your neighbors wires. Pull up the lines that are burried in the ground and wrap them up neatly next to the side of the neighbors home.

He will call Directv and when the installer comes out for the service call they will have to install a new Dish :)

Apartment management had no idea what I was talking about when I called to ask if they gave permission for someone to use my dish. D* came out but were going to charge me to take the wires out of the dish so tomorrow I am going to figure out how to do that, then pull them out of the ground. Left a note for the neighbor still no visit from him. Called D* this morning about the installer wanting to charge me on Saturday then leaving without doing anything. The CSR seemed clueless. Looks like I have more work on my hands tomorrow!!!!
edit: Just looked at the dish how do you get in the dish to disconnect the wires?

There are screws on the end of the arm. Remove them & pull the LNB. (Cut any quick ties.) The cables will follow. Identify by shaking the cables you want to disconnect one at a time. Pull them through & coil them. Replace the LNB & screws.

But, as an installer who also does phone work..............until some service problem arises the rest of the world operates on the principle that wire is wire. If your rig is working what more is necessary. Have DTV note the account & move on.

Joe

edit: Just looked at the dish how do you get in the dish to disconnect the wires?

No need to unhook it. Go out to the dish figure out what wire is going to the other apartment and cut it off where it comes out of the arm. Pull it up from the ground if you want, or cut it off where it comes out of the ground at the dish.

Messing with the LNB could cause you to mess up the signal. Just cut the offending wires.

He just need to cut those two wires on edge of his area; just dig small hole and cut both - no need to mess with LNBFs.Then pull those wires and make your own short trench up to your cement border, and keep the wires underground for while.

To me, this is just some lazy installer. Looks like there's LOS, he should've installed another dish and be done with it. I would remove those cables from the dish and have the neighbor call Directv.

To me, this is just some lazy installer. Looks like there's LOS, he should've installed another dish and be done with it. I would remove those cables from the dish and have the neighbor call Directv.

I'll second that statement.

If you are that set against sharing a dish with your neighbor, escalate the issue through DirecTV. With luck, the escalated call will be emailed to the local office for resolution. If the local office does not honor your request to remove the neighbor's cables from your setup, keep calling back to DirecTV and keep escalating it. Someone on the management end of the local office will take the heat if it does not get resolved. Keep the pressure on and I'm sure things will work out the way you want them to.

I agree 100%, disconnect the lines and let your neighbor deal with the problem to get the issue resolved. If it would have been me, those lines would have been removed immediately. It's not the OP's responsibility to resolve this issue.

But, as an installer who also does phone work..............until some service problem arises the rest of the world operates on the principle that wire is wire. If your rig is working what more is necessary. Have DTV note the account & move on.

Good luck on having D* notate anything on your account. Would you like someone hooking up to your dish without permission? I know I wouldn't

So.....what was the outcome? I haven't seen any updates in a few days. I know this was a touchy subject, but I am curious as to what the final result was.
The OP dug up his neighbors cable. While pausing to catch his breath, he noticed that the house across the street had Directv, but no visible dish. Upon further inspection, he realized that the whole town was "stealing his satellite signal". So, he was left with no choice; he had to dig up all the cables. Unfortunately, he sliced thru a fiber optic cable and wiped out internet service for the entire town; since everyone was sharing that too. In his angry stupor, he accidentally slammed his shovel down into the ground, rupturing a natural gas pipeline, leading to a massive explosion. He was rushed to the hospital, with burns covering 100% of his body. Doctors thought he could be saved, so they rushed him up to the Burn Unit. With his last breath he said" Doctor will I make it?" When he didn't answer, he spun the doc around, only to realize that it was his next door neighbor!

Some tech with a piss poor attitude came out on Saturday and cut the lines. Problem solved for now I guess. Almost a month after the initial tech tried to run the lines. Hopefully no other tech comes along and decides to try this again.

Personally I don't see the big deal with sharing the dish, I know here at my complex I share a dish with the a neighbor of mine. If you said no though the first few times, they need to respect that. Glad you didn't take the childish rout and just go out there hacking his line, you did the right thing by calling DTV, management and also trying to get in touch with your neighbor. Good job on your part.

If they would have offered you something such as the cost of the dish or some credits on your bill would you have said yes then?

Umm I was talking about DirecTv's cost for the dish, not the customer's cost (which is free). Directv is saving money by not having to pay for a second dish being put up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)