Neighbor taking satellite signal??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
:up:up
Probbably the first guy came and you said no and he left. Then Winback contacted your neighbor and a second service man came out and did it without your permission.

I don't see an issue with it, but the second you need a port to hook up another TV, then I would go and disconnect one of the neighbors TV's or require them to buy a Switch.

Right, which is why the neighbor hasn't explained anything or even talked to the OP?

If your innocent, you don't act guilty.

And if the neighbors stuff was damaged in lightning, the OP would hafta pay for that equipment.

I'm sure you fools who defend the neighbor would have no problem if your stealing other people's stuff, but I'm sure as hell if you were actually in the Op's shoes you wouldn't like it at all.

I'm sure you fools who defend the neighbor would have no problem if your stealing other people's stuff, but I'm sure as hell if you were actually in the Op's shoes you wouldn't like it at all.

What is he stealing from the OP? The signal coming from the satellite does not belong to the OP. Is what was done wrong yes but it is not stealing anything.

The neighbor shouldn't be hold accountable, it is the installer that use his dish. The neighbor don't know anything about satellite installation and rely on the Directv installer. The installer gets pay to install a dish and runs the lines. It is require for the installer to put one dish to one account unless Management, wants a MDU dish. Even if his neighbor have no line of sight, I wouldn't share it to a neighbor who I don't know, just because we are neighbors. It will cause too much complications down the line. (like who pays for service calls, electricals shorting the Dish lnb, moving out and new tenant don't want an ugly dish on front of their house, 2 year commitment, etc, etc, etc) The lazy ass installer should have known better to do that, he just want to get paid for the whole installation by just connecting to someone else Dish.

The only harm I see other than the excavation is that the neighbors cable is using one of only 4 available ports for receivers. If you decide to add another box , there might not be an available place to put it. If it bothers you disconnect it. If the tech had to knock on your door the first time, he will have to again to reconnect it., so dont let him in.

Look, the op told the first installer and neighbor who were standing side by side no so the neighbor was fully aware at that time that he/she/it would need a satellite dish to receive service. Most potential and new customers understand that they need a satellite dish to get service while a very small few think the satellit dish is a radio antennae and can go in the attic. I really dont understand where this mentality of "Well he said no but hey he has an open port on the dish so whats the big deal anyways?"

Last I knew no ment NO in every language in the world.

Blah blah blah.

If you defend your territory you are a jerk. Blah blah blah.

Damn hippies need to go live somewhere else.

OP: It's your backyard. If something happened it would be your responsibility. Don't listen to these fools who are out of touch with reality. The story never changes with crap like this, the same type of people would say you need to work with the other, but if the tables were turned they would be mad as hell.

Because like you said, they don't care as long as they get what they want.
Yep,
The same people are the ones that bitch about not being a good neighbor, Well what would you all say if the OP said " Here is an extra Receiver I'm not using , Pay me $5 and you can use it". Well thats another story then right?. Buttom line if that D* tech set foot next to my satellite dish he better Have a gun. Its not the Buildings Satellite dish, If it was it would have already been there, and this thread wouldn't even be discussed..
My apartments Have 1 E* dish and 1 D* dish. I own them My renters are not aloud to alter them in any way. If D* sets foot on any of my propertys without my consent ,I can assure you there would be trouble.

What is he stealing from the OP? The signal coming from the satellite does not belong to the OP. Is what was done wrong yes but it is not stealing anything.
Its tresspassing,and property damage. The owner of the building could easily come down hard on D* and the Neighbor.

Yep,
The same people are the ones that bitch about not being a good neighbor, Well what would you all say if the OP said " Here is an extra Receiver I'm not using , Pay me $5 and you can use it". Well thats another story then right?. Buttom line if that D* tech set foot next to my satellite dish he better Have a gun. Its not the Buildings Satellite dish, If it was it would have already been there, and this thread wouldn't even be discussed..
My apartments Have 1 E* dish and 1 D* dish. I own them My renters are not aloud to alter them in any way.

He was a good neighbor trying to get it resolved. Now it is past that time and the cable just needs to be unhooked to resolve the problem.

Its tresspassing,and property damage.

I can see trespassing but what property was damaged? Also I am not quite sure with the photo's if that is considered a common or exclusive use area as it is in the mulch that goes around the entire building. Who put the mulch in? If it is the apartment complex I would have to think it would be a common area.

I can see trespassing but what property was damaged? Also I am not quite sure with the photo's if that is considered a common or exclusive use area as it is in the mulch that goes around the entire building. Who put the mulch in? If it is the apartment complex I would have to think it would be a common area.
Digging a trench through property thats not yours without the land owners consent.

So if I came over to your house , Doug a trench through your grass, to your Satellite dish? You would be OK with this?

No. And like I said it was damage to the apartments complex property. The apartment management should be the ones concerned. The OP does not own the land so it was not damage to his property. If the dish was damaged then the OP had damage to his property.

Perhaps the best thing for the OP to do then would be to run enough cables into his apartment that fill all the ports on the dish, and disconnect the neighbors cable. Doesn't matter if they're actually hooked up to anything, but he can claim he is using all the available tuners.

Perhaps the best thing for the OP to do then would be to run enough cables into his apartment that fill all the ports on the dish, and disconnect the neighbors cable. Doesn't matter if they're actually hooked up to anything, but he can claim he is using all the available tuners.

That is a great idea. Then there is no way they can hook back up to the dish.

I'm wondering If the land owner was informed? I bet he was! Did the OP ever contact management or the land owner? Because that looks to me like the Owner was informed of the install. And just maybe it was decided this way. But who Knows. I have 2 houses next to each other like this , and they Share a Central dish, Otherwise the dishes would be all over.

Apartment management had no idea what I was talking about when I called to ask if they gave permission for someone to use my dish. D* came out but were going to charge me to take the wires out of the dish so tomorrow I am going to figure out how to do that, then pull them out of the ground. Left a note for the neighbor still no visit from him. Called D* this morning about the installer wanting to charge me on Saturday then leaving without doing anything. The CSR seemed clueless. Looks like I have more work on my hands tomorrow!!!!
edit: Just looked at the dish how do you get in the dish to disconnect the wires?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)