Neighbor taking satellite signal??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The OP paid for the dish and install. Somebody is trying to get something for nothing(the neighbor). You are right that is what is wrong with this country. Next time you buy a new car let me know so I can share it with you. On your dime of course.:D
Does D* really make you pay for the dish itself, or do they provide it free of charge when you sign up? If its the latter, why not do the neighborly thing if and share it. Maybe he can't get a LOS? Also, you should have sat down with your neighbor and explained what happened. He probably has no idea. Maybe you could have made an agreement to split service charges, or even scared him off with the idea of his cancellation fee if you moved anytime soon and had to take the dish with.

Does D* really make you pay for the dish itself, or do they provide it free of charge when you sign up? If its the latter, why not do the neighborly thing if and share it. Maybe he can't get a LOS? Also, you should have sat down with your neighbor and explained what happened. He probably has no idea. Maybe you could have made an agreement to split service charges, or even scared him off with the idea of his cancellation fee if you moved anytime soon and had to take the dish with.
:eureka
Since you seem like such a nice guy post your address so I can come over and take anything I want.:D

If its the latter, why not do the neighborly thing if and share it.

The liability problem still arises. The chance is extremely small but things like lightning strikes can destroy things. Maybe more than just the receiver. You can bet the neighbor is going to demand damages anyway. If I were the owner I would not take that risk. On a side note, I read some FCC rules and it seems that commonly used dishes are the responsibility of the landlord for rental property. But I could have misinterpreted that and there are always loopholes.

Direc tv came by this morning. They are now trying to make my dish the common dish for the entire complex. I told them I have no problem doing that as long as they move the dish of my personal space and refund me the $75 I paid for the poll install. I also requested they get a waiver i can sign that releases me from any responsibity of the dish should a service call fee arise. They said they were going to talk to their supervisior so we shall see what happens. Seems like I am going through a lot of work on my end that I shouldn't have ever been bothered with.

Direc tv came by this morning. They are now trying to make my dish the common dish for the entire complex. I told them I have no problem doing that as long as they move the dish of my personal space and refund me the $75 I paid for the poll install. I also requested they get a waiver i can sign that releases me from any responsibity of the dish should a service call fee arise. They said they were going to talk to their supervisior so we shall see what happens. Seems like I am going through a lot of work on my end that I shouldn't have ever been bothered with.

Have you talked to the landlord yet? Maybe the landlord wants this setup & a common dish and would be willing to make the accommodations. I really think you should get with the landlord and find out what happened that they thought it was ok to connect to it.

Sound like a cluster-&uck.:eek:

Sounds like you're being blown off. Basically the tech is being sent out on a service call, but he's finding out a new dish needs to be installed, not to mention pole mounted(he's not going to get that $75 either). Also, the tech can't just hook up the other dish and walk away. He will need to make sure its working for the other customer. If he doesn't, he can get in a lot of trouble if it turns out the system isn't working. If I blindly walked into this scenario, I would have done exactly what this tech has done. I would have then called the supervisor, told him about the problem verbally, knowing the supervisor may or may not doing anything about it.

This issue is between you and management, not so much DirecTV. Is it possible the apt management is telling the tech they want it as a common dish? First and foremost, get that straight. If they accept its your dish, then make them force your neighbor to make DirecTV come out and fix it. This way you don't get the run around with the tech's.

Dish and Direct both have the same 2 year plan so what the customer doesnt own includes the receiver(s), remote(s), switch(s), lnbf(s), converter(s), and misc electronic kit(s) while everything else is the customers. The contract if you read it states that direct and dish want the receivers with remotes and switches and lnbfs back when you cancel wether early or not.

Inregards to apartment complex rules the vast majority limit the location of a satellite dish to the renters sole use area and require that said dish and anything used to secure it is taken at the end of his/her residency and the rental property is returned to its original condition.

The op has never been a jerk here nor has he expressed an interest to be one, he came on here seeking information and through all of the bashing that he's taken with being called a jerk for being concerned about the issue he has remained civil in the face of being treated like a jerk by jerks and aside from the jerks here the only other jerks was the neighbor and whomever hooked them up which could very well have been the neighbors themselves.

Direc has not talked to the apartment about having a common dish. They told me to do that. I told them no thanks. If they want a common dish that is between them and the apartment, but my dish is not going to be the common dish because it is own my property not a common area. I can't believe direc would even think of making a dish on my property the common dish for the entire complex. I'm close to calling paying my cancelation fee digging up the dish and letting direc just be out all the money they could make if they handled this in a professional way from the get go.

Direc has not talked to the apartment about having a common dish. They told me to do that. I told them no thanks. If they want a common dish that is between them and the apartment, but my dish is not going to be the common dish because it is own my property not a common area. I can't believe direc would even think of making a dish on my property the common dish for the entire complex. I'm close to calling paying my cancelation fee digging up the dish and letting direc just be out all the money they could make if they handled this in a professional way from the get go.

I understand you point completely. Personally I would unhook his line and let him deal with Directv.

Have you talked to the neighbor yet to see if the 2 of you can come to a resolution? Seems like a quick polite talk might make many frustrations go away. He is in there enjoying his new service and your on the internet getting more and more pissed as the hours pass. It is quite possible he has ZERO clue whats going on.

Just curious because on Page 4 you said
I specifically told the neighbor no to sharing the dish on multiple times. For my own reasons as well as D* saying it isn't legal to do it.
but in your first post you mentioned 3 weeks ago an installer asked. It shouldnt have been done, but what is done is done and at this point you have a few options...

1. Talk to your neighbor, make a positive resolution
2. Screw the neighbor, cut the line, risk sh*t like your car getting keyed, flat tire, cat raped...
3. Cancel D* all together and be where you wanted out of a few months ago.

It sucks that it happened, but It has happened. No one is getting hurt here except your feelings, tbh. As a installer I wouldn't have done it without asking and getting permission in writing from the dish owner. I have had customers say "if she is willing to pay half of the pole install, sure", some that had no problem at all as long as I labeled the switch, but never had one flat out say no. Getting LOS in an apartment complex can get tricky when the apartment is not Satellite friendly. Most apartments think its some devils device that will magically make rent drop a $100 a month, some are cool about it and fairly flexible. YOU went above and beyond to make sure you arse was covered and your lower case j's were dotted. You are wise. But now is the time to show the kind of man you are and stop complaining about it and do something about it.

What you decide to do will determine the type of man you are. I would suggest #1

Generating service calls to get lines removed wont happen. No installer in their right mind will do that and like stated no installer will want to now do all this extra work the installer in question by-passed. If I rolled up to the situation, I would cancel the work order faster than you could finish the details as I would not want my name on the situation. so going to D* is going to lead to more disappointing appointments and wasted time. The only way to resolve this is by your own action, whichever route you decide to take.

If you cut the lines, he will call in to D* for a SFSS Service call.. it may generate someone willing to put up a dish on his property if able (guessing its not able), chances are VERY HIGH that the service tech will see the cut line/fresh trench and barrel a splice back in, putting you back to today.

Last edited:
Have you talked to the neighbor yet to see if the 2 of you can come to a resolution? Seems like a quick polite talk might make many frustrations go away. He is in there enjoying his new service and your on the internet getting more and more pissed as the hours pass. It is quite possible he has ZERO clue whats going on.

Just curious because on Page 4 you said but in your first post you mentioned 3 weeks ago an installer asked. It shouldnt have been done, but what is done is done and at this point you have a few options...
D* installer and the neighbor were together and I told them no about 3 weeks ago. A D* installer unhooked the wires from the cable box going into his apt but then just left them hanging out the box and still attached. What i have got out of this is no one seems to care about anyone else as long as they get what they want. world we live in today. Neighbor has not answered his door all weekend. So not sure if hes out of town or not. At this point I realize everyone I talk to at D* will give me a different answer and they will prob make my dish the community dish for the complex. At least I'm getting D* and not cable! Maybe they will feel nice and hook me up with free MLBEI:hungry: for providing a community dish on my own property (not counting on this). Life goes on and I'm enjoying my tv as I type

Here meet in the middle. Paste a Note on your neighbors Door stating he has 3 days to come over and talk to you about the dish situation before you have D* remove his lines that are on your dish, interrupting his service. State that you DO not want to go that route but he is leaving you no choice by ignoring you. Take a Photo of the note on the door (proof of delivery) then let him decide.

If you go the community Dish route, yea get it off your area, Get Rental Management in charge of it and get $75 (imo more) worth of credits from D* for the extreme hassle. Writing a physical Letter to D* about it will do tons more than phone calls or emails. D* takes Letters way serious.

I'll do that tomorrow, then mail the letter Monday. Thanks for the solid advice. After Monday I'm putting this thing to bed. I hope.

Blah blah blah.

If you defend your territory you are a jerk. Blah blah blah.

Damn hippies need to go live somewhere else.

OP: It's your backyard. If something happened it would be your responsibility. Don't listen to these fools who are out of touch with reality. The story never changes with crap like this, the same type of people would say you need to work with the other, but if the tables were turned they would be mad as hell.

Because like you said, they don't care as long as they get what they want.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts