Neighbor taking satellite signal??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree with the OP. Most apartments only allow you to install a dish in your own area. It cannot be in a common area. But no matter where it goes, it does not automatically become property of the apartment. That would only happen if you abandoned the dish, like if you left it there when you moved out. In any case, isn't the equipment leased these days? I dont know if they just lease the receiver or both the receiver and dish so it might be property of DirecTV. Even if it is owned by DirecTV, that still does not give DirecTV the right to come onto your property without your permission. I suppose they could modify your contract (if its not already in there) and say that you must allow an neighbor access to your dish or cancel the contract. I guess if they can raise prices whenever they want, they can pretty much do anything. But technically the apartment should not allow that since a cable will have to reach into a common area to make the connection. For that matter, if the apartment won't allow you to go into common areas, i wonder how the neighbor was able to allow the installer to dig a trench.

Anyways, I am very curious about how this situation occurred and how it will be resolved. I am MOVING to an apartment across the street for the sole purpose of getting LOS for a dish. If i knew I could just run a cable, I could have avoided this move and not had to have an ugly dish on my balcony.

I have lived in a duplex for nearly 6 years and have had a pole with either Dish or Direct TV nearly the whole time..Am working on a FTA setup now..As far as I know the Dish is mine. If I move, I'll take the dish with me, but wont bother with the pole..Never had a problem with the neighbors..

Hell, you're alot calmer than me.

I would have walked outside last night and snipped the wires.

Sorry, you don't come onto my property when I already said no.

I'd like to see a couple of pictures before I comment.
The install of my dish was done clean and very well. That isn't the issue I'm having. If D* doesn't call me I will call once I get out of work. I will let everyone know how that call goes.

buton a side note had the person asked would you have allowed him to plug into your dish?

No I already told them no when they tried about 3 weeks ago. That came back and got it done today while I was at work. So not only did they do it without asking today I already denied them permission. Called D* that time and tonight so they have it in notes but I'm wanting to think this has to be signal fraud.[/quote]
It's not signal fraud. Your neighbor has his own receiver and has to pay for programming. It would bother me if he connected to it without asking first, but you just didn't want him to connect to "your" dish. It's not your dish. Directv only supplies you with that dish where you can receive their signal. I'd say, quit being a jerk about it. Who cares if 10 of your neighbors want to share your dish, as long as it's not causing any problems or you any money.

I think quite a few people here are missing the point. The op had his install and went through the management of the apartment. The op paid for his own install not his and every neighbor that wants to daisy chain off his dish. The op has said when he leaves it's his responsibility to take the dish, the pole, and any other bits with him on his way out the door. Aside from all that he said not once but several times no. Not sure, maybe, call me next week, give me a beer or three, but no. He has every right to be upset and worried about future issues with the dish when he leaves.

My two bits are this. If I were in your situation I would look up ebay right now. Buy a couple of those nice little signal traps or the like and get them shipped. Clip off the ends of the offending wires far enough the existing is useless and install the signal traps on the extra open ends of your dish switch. Take said ends you have removed and drop them off to your neighbor and politely tell him to whiz off. Follow that up with the expressed and written notice that if he does it again you'll take him to small claims court. I suggest Judge Judy. She doesn't take hack crack like this and it would be good entertainment for all for us to see this clown explain why he thought it would be a good idea to do what he did.

No means no, no matter how you slice it. Lazy installers are just as bad as bad neighbors looking for a free ride. That clown most likely has got through life sliding through. It's time he wake up and smell the coffee burning.

Hell, you're alot calmer than me.

I would have walked outside last night and snipped the wires.

Sorry, you don't come onto my property when I already said no.
It's not his property. He lives in an apartment. Ya'll are getting bent out of shape over nothing. I'd rather see a few dishes outside an apartment complex, than it looking like an uplink center. The renter can't insure the land that his apartment, which he rents, sits on. So, therefore, that land cannot be his. Most states will not allow you to take anything that you've added with you if you move, because once it is placed on their property, they become the owner of it. Not, the renter! And if you had snipped the wires, you could/would have been held criminally responsible for it! Hell, if he parks his car in the parking lot, does that make it a private parking lot for him alone?

I would check with the building management to make sure that they didn't authorize it. If the landlord told me as an installer to reuse the dish, I'd probably just reuse the dish. The installer probably isn't the same one who was denied access previously.

If the landlord told them to reuse the dish, I would get it in writing that they are now responsible for maintenance of the dish and you do not have to take it when you leave. Remember, the dish is not a leased item so if something goes wrong with it, you have to pay for it if you don't have the protection plan. What's to say the neighbor doesn't hook something up wrong and fries the dish? Who is responsible for paying for it? That would be the main issue I'd want resolved.

I would check with the building management to make sure that they didn't authorize it. If the landlord told me as an installer to reuse the dish, I'd probably just reuse the dish. The installer probably isn't the same one who was denied access previously.

If the landlord told them to reuse the dish, I would get it in writing that they are now responsible for maintenance of the dish and you do not have to take it when you leave. Remember, the dish is not a leased item so if something goes wrong with it, you have to pay for it if you don't have the protection plan. What's to say the neighbor doesn't hook something up wrong and fries the dish? Who is responsible for paying for it? That would be the main issue I'd want resolved.
Good point!

Who does own the dish? I had a dish replaced and was told by the tech that the one he removed belonged to me and it was my responsibility to dispose of it. I'm also curious what the area looks like that the pole and dish are located.

The world is full of sat dishes. IF someone moves the instruction is to LEAVE the dish & wire. DTV will provide a NEW one at the next address...........two if you ask. And the tech will probably not want to screw around with adjusting an old rust one when he can work accurately with a new one.

Have the new guy buy the protection plan and assume the dish would have worked forever if it had not been tapped.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)