NESN HD Possibly on its way?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow, Upon further reveiw--- The Red Sox own 80% of NESN. The NewYork Times own the Boston Globe, and are also a minority partner in the So:mad:17%). Kinda' funny, a NY paper owning part of a Boston team. $$$ Talks

putterboy said:
Wow, Upon further reveiw--- The Red Sox own 80% of NESN. The NewYork Times own the Boston Globe, and are also a minority partner in the So:mad:17%). Kinda' funny, a NY paper owning part of a Boston team. $$$ Talks
Much like a Chicago newspaper owns a large number of television stations across the country (Tribune). But of course, NY Times only owns a small portion of NESN, the Sox pretty much make all decisions for the station, since they are the main programming on NESN.

mazter17 said:
Is there any new , news on this !
No news on this at all. I've been told by head of PR at NESN that they're working on negotiations with DirecTV, and that they are very complicated negotiations. But this person had never heard of the rumored July 1 date until I mentioned it. So we'll see. I would think that at the latest, this deal will be done in time for the start of the 2007 season, but hopefully much sooner.

As reported on avsforums, nesn hd will be one of the first fulltime mpeg 4 rsns available to new england sports region customers....it will launch July 1st. Enjoy. Just don't expect it to be without technical glitches like the other mpeg 4 networks.

PaulieORF said:
NESN is not partially owned by Comcast. NESN is owned by the New York Times, the Boston Red Sox and the Boston Bruins.
I can understand the confusion because I know watching the BoSox in Fenway on ESPN-/ESPN2-HD that there's a big banner in the park that reads something to the effect of "NESN-HD on Comcast".

According to their own websites and reported info, NESN is neither Comcast or the NY Times. One website appears to be run by the Times, but that would not note ownership in the network or any of the teams.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/aboutus/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NESN

NESN Ownership:The Boston Red Sox are a co-founder and the majority owner (80%) of NESN, with the Boston Bruins owning the remaining 20%.

Boston Red Sox Ownership: Current ownership: New England Sports Ventures aka John Henry, Tom Werner and partners (Larry Lucchino, president and CEO), who paid $660 million and assumed $40 million in debt, in February 2002. The purchase includes Fenway Park and 82 percent of New England Sports Network.

Boston Bruins Ownership: Jeremy M. Jacobs

Questioner said:
As reported on avsforums, nesn hd will be one of the first fulltime mpeg 4 rsns available to new england sports region customers....it will launch July 1st. Enjoy. Just don't expect it to be without technical glitches like the other mpeg 4 networks.

Actually it looks like it will only be available to people in the Boston market not all of New England. You'd think since ths spotbeam more than likely covers the entire region it would be different but doesn't seem so.

That's if the rumors are true at all.

It will be available to other new england regions, but only those that have local hd channels available, which isn't that much besides most of Mass. However, Hartford will be getting them next week which will make it available to some parts of Conn, Providence should have them within the next few months, and a few other new england areas as well. Basically, if you get nesn now, when you get the other local networks in hd, you should get nesn in hd.

Questioner said:
It will be available to other new england regions, but only those that have local hd channels available, which isn't that much besides most of Mass. However, Hartford will be getting them next week which will make it available to some parts of Conn, Providence should have them within the next few months, and a few other new england areas as well. Basically, if you get nesn now, when you get the other local networks in hd, you should get nesn in hd.

Any way of backing this up? A Source? I would love it if it were true.

Well someone reliable at avs forums intercepted a directv memo apparantly and this was confirmed by another poster as well....if you combine this with the initial rumors several weeks ago about a July 1st launch, it looks pretty good.

I hope its true. As Ive stated before I look to TV to deliver sports entertainment.

I dont care how many VOOM channels E* has. If D* gets NESN HD for me in my own narrow world nothing could beat D* with NFL ST HD and NESN HD.

I would love for this to happen, but living in PA, it does me nothing. I hope D* would show HD games to EI subs like they do with YES. I saw on the program guide today that D* will start using ch 96 again on July 1 for HD games. Maybe this means they are going to expand the amount of HD games. I would never leave the house if I was able to get the Red Sox and Bruins in HD.

Things looking good for the launch saturday....hopefully we will get some confirmation from directv before then.

The guy at avsforums is trying to find out what channel it may be on.

This could be the biggest let down since Billy Buckner and Aaron Boone combined!!!

The guy who started the rumor is probably a deranged Yankee fan wanting me to suffer even more!

boston area dtv said:
This could be the biggest let down since Billy Buckner and Aaron Boone combined!!!

The guy who started the rumor is probably a deranged Yankee fan wanting me to suffer even more!

Well he is usually pretty reliable and it has been confirmed by some others without as much of a track record, but I wouldn't write it in stone by any means.

bgilga said:
I would love for this to happen, but living in PA, it does me nothing. I hope D* would show HD games to EI subs like they do with YES. I saw on the program guide today that D* will start using ch 96 again on July 1 for HD games. Maybe this means they are going to expand the amount of HD games. I would never leave the house if I was able to get the Red Sox and Bruins in HD.

Yeah you and me both, If they put NESN games on channel 96 I would re-activate my HDTivo in a heartbeat. I would even buy a new dish a receiver if they made it available here in PA.

Wouldn't you think that if it were true that D* was turning it on July 1st, that Scott would have heard something by now, he's usually up on these things.

I personally hope you guy's are right, because that would mean that other FSN's may be on the way as well.
I would guess that YES and NESN would be the top 2 RSN's out there, money wise...
Hopefully that will lead to the others going HD

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Installer coming out again

H20 is almost perfect...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)