NESN HD Uplinked!!!

I'm learning that with the DISH HD-only package plus locals, I won't get the SD RSNs for Boston (NESN and Comcast Sports), never mind the HD versions. Can anyone confirm this? I placed three different calls to DISH CS tonight, got only mis- and disinformation, and was cut off three times (no one I spoke to seemed to be aware of the HD-only package)... I had hope that when the Big 10 HD channel disappeared recently, it was making way for NESN HD...

I'm learning that with the DISH HD-only package plus locals, I won't get the SD RSNs for Boston (NESN and Comcast Sports), never mind the HD versions. Can anyone confirm this? I placed three different calls to DISH CS tonight, got only mis- and disinformation, and was cut off three times (no one I spoke to seemed to be aware of the HD-only package)... I had hope that when the Big 10 HD channel disappeared recently, it was making way for NESN HD...

Rsn are not included in the hd only pack. hd or sd .

i don't really understand why Dish is going with the game only HD. Since Most games are all on at the same time how's that save them bandwidth. What's the point? Just to rob us of the other HD programming on the RSNs? I mena we've got sportsdesk, pre/post shows, et all too.

What happens when the game goes long? Are they goig to cut off the feed? I have a feeling this is going to be a mixed blessing. Dish is goingto claim to offer NESN HD now but in reality they don't.

I get your argument and I do agree to a point, but this way they can take down some PPVs and put them back up after :D.

I don't think they'll be cutting the feed during the game.. But maybe someone who has a 'limited HD feed' like this can tell us.

I really think a few things though:

A> NESN doesn't have enough worthwhile programming aside from the games that is justifies a 24/7 channel.
B> If you have a 24/7 channel, it always has to be active (you can't cut it off after a sports season), including during other sports seasons where that bandwidth might serve a different HD channel. At least this way we know when it'll be on and when it won't, which will be basically for games.

They're only doing LIVE games too, not repeats (which NESN does a lot of), so this helps overall too. I do agree that it does make for a confusing situation when games are on at the same time.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll be cutting the feed during the game.. But maybe someone who has a 'limited HD feed' like this can tell us.

from what I could tell during a Bruins/Panthers game that went long a few weeks ago on FSN Florida, only the blackout restriction is lifted, they will show the game until the end.

I was able to watch the overtime/shootout in that awesome bruins comeback win

Lifting blackouts is different than enforcing the restriction of game-only coverage. I've read a few posts here about games that go overtime, extra innings, etc. that get cut from the HD feed. It's definitely not a normal occurance, but something to be aware of....

They're only doing LIVE games too, not repeats (which NESN does a lot of), so this helps overall too. I do agree that it does make for a confusing situation when games are on at the same time.

Repeats should be in HD at least if they are in Japan or west coast where we can't watch the live game at a reasonable hour. I wanted to watch the game last night but it wasn't on. I know most cases that's not a problem but the sox in 2 is great.

I understand it and that if they didn't do it i'd not even have the games (which truthfully is all i really care about) but i just hate the idea of having an HD channel that has HD programming that I would watch (pregames) that i can't watch.

Unfortunately repeats aren't available in HD for the Japan games either. Just how it goes. Like I said, the standard is 'all live games', I think having a consistent standard instead of "All Live games BUT Japan games, West Coast games, etc.".

However, I hear Dish Network provides a DVR for free if you have DVR Advantage. It's quite a unit.

Not trying to be a dink but I'm sure that's how they'd see it. :)

As for the Pre-game shows, I assume we won't get them in HD, but I still view watching the games themselves in HD as a win. 'Just the live games' is an acceptable situation and the alternative would've been we'd get NESN HD 2 or 4 years into the future. I think this is reasonable.

Damn, that means no Hazel Mae in HD!! :mad:

HM.jpg

Also, Tina Cervasio (field reporter) has left NESN....

It wasn't so great last time I saw it on Comcast. Maybe they finally improved it.. I just figured NESN HD sucked.. :)
Maybe the problem was Comcast. Like I said, I've only seen it very little during CI free previews for about an hour total. But what I saw looked great on D*.

The PQ was excellent tonight.

I noticed there was no 5.1 for the B's game. Maybe only Sox games at Fenway?? I remember a game early last year when Orsillo was boasting about the 5.1 surround and showing some of the mic placements...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)