Nesn Hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wes311

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
I'm confused how supposively I can't get Red Sox games in HD on ch 94 or 95 because I'm not in the spotbeam area,but I'm able to get the post game. Anybody know why??

I'm confused how supposively I can't get Red Sox games in HD on ch 94 or 95 because I'm not in the spotbeam area,but I'm able to get the post game. Anybody know why??

That spotbeam line that they fed you is a lie. It all has to do with your DMA. Unless you are in the Boston DMA, you get no NESN HD.

John

That spotbeam line that they fed you is a lie. It all has to do with your DMA. Unless you are in the Boston DMA, you get no NESN HD.

John

It's not really a lie. As I understand it is that since NESN HD is only being fed(for the time being) on the Boston area spotbeam. They(Directv) can only be sure people in the Boston DMA can receive the signal, thus they are only allowing people in the Boston DMA to receive it. They cannot be sure everyone, outside the Boston DMA can actually pick up the Boston spotbeam and rather than dealing with the (very?) few people(who are eligible to receive NESN HD), who can't pick up the spotbeam, they screw EVERYONE who is outside the Boston DMA and don't offer any of them NESN HD.

It really stinks that Directv has chose this route. It's a DOUBLE whammy for me. NESN is deemed to be my HOME RSN, yet I cannot get NESN HD, because I am in CT, under the Hartford DMA. This also happens to me, with YESHD, because that falls under the NYC DMA/spotbeam. :mad::mad::mad:

I don't understand why they just can't make it available to others outside the DMA(if they are authorized, of course) and just let people try and see if they get it. If they can't, then they can't and would have to wait, but if you can, then great, you are all set. I understand this will change, when the new HD birds come online, but it's still stupid that they are doing it this way, now.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they just can't make it available to others outside the DMA(if they are authorized, of course) and just let people try and see if they get it. If they can't, then they can't and would have to wait, but if you can, then great, you are all set. I understand this will change, when the new HD birds come online, but it's still stupid that they are doing it this way, now.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I live in Maine and I have to watch the Red sox on channel 623 and listen to them rave about how nice it looks and sounds in HD. Maybe some day I'll know what it's supposed to look like on my 1080p set.

It's not really a lie. As I understand it is that since NESN HD is only being fed(for the time being) on the Boston area spotbeam. They(Directv) can only be sure people in the Boston DMA can receive the signal, thus they are only allowing people in the Boston DMA to receive it. They cannot be sure everyone, outside the Boston DMA can actually pick up the Boston spotbeam and rather than dealing with the (very?) few people(who are eligible to receive NESN HD), who can't pick up the spotbeam, they screw EVERYONE who is outside the Boston DMA and don't offer any of them NESN HD.

It really stinks that Directv has chose this route. It's a DOUBLE whammy for me. NESN is deemed to be my HOME RSN, yet I cannot get NESN HD, because I am in CT, under the Hartford DMA. This also happens to me, with YESHD, because that falls under the NYC DMA/spotbeam. :mad::mad::mad:

I don't understand why they just can't make it available to others outside the DMA(if they are authorized, of course) and just let people try and see if they get it. If they can't, then they can't and would have to wait, but if you can, then great, you are all set. I understand this will change, when the new HD birds come online, but it's still stupid that they are doing it this way, now.

You should be getting YES in hd if you are in the Hartford dma. D* opened up the authorized territory for YES hd in April at the start of the baseball season. I get it, along with SNY hd.

All I know is my Boston spotbeam 15 miles southeast of Hartford is in the high 90's. Nary a pixel drop even in rain downpours. The whole thing is nuts. While part of me can understand not allowing if one exception cant, but I dont even buy that one exception. I think the range is bigger and stronger then they let on. Especially Connecticut, Rhode Island and Central MA. There is no way that beam is not strong and full. No way.

You should be getting YES in hd if you are in the Hartford dma. D* opened up the authorized territory for YES hd in April at the start of the baseball season. I get it, along with SNY hd.

Oops, didn't know this changed. I don't have an HR20 yet(scheduled for install next week), so I am going on what I have been reading.

I had been holding out swapping over the the HR20 because of several reason, mainly no DLB and also this issue with the HD RSN's. Because of the RSN issues(prior to them opening YES and SNY) I would have netted 0 new HD channels, swapping to the HR20 and ended up losing my beloved DLB's. However, now that the new bird is up, I decided to finally and reluctantly make the switch(I will miss DLB badly). Hearing YES and SNY have opened up is now a bonus(I got most Yankee games on channel 95 with the HR10 anyway).

I live in Florida, have the MLB ST with SuperFan and get most of the NESN/Sox games in HD on channel 730 & 731

It won't matter in 2 months time when NESN and all the other HD RSNs go CONUS on the new sat, D10. Then all these issues go away.

I have the same problem living in Maine, subscribing to MLB Extra Innings and Superfan, and everyone time the Sox are on 94, 95, 730 or 731, even though it's the NESN broadcast, the game gets blacked out. However, if it's a NESN broadcast, I get the pre and post game shows. I called about 10 times and got a different answer every time, and same thing with e-mail. In my last call I was told that they don't have the capacity to carry the game in my area in hd on those channels. When I asked why they had the capacity to have the pre and post game shows on the same channel, I got no a stutter and a "I don't know". Yeah, good times. Hopefully I only have to deal with this for another 64 days before D10 goes live....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)