Netflix selection on Streaming is expanding

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Did anyone else notice the many new titles now being offered on Netflix streaming? Especially those in HD and DD5.1. I haven't seen any news release on this but the lineup is very much improved. In addition, I have seen a much improved picture and sound quality. It's nearly as good as Vudu.

Can anyone here who is now a crusader for cancelling Netflix show any service that offers more or even the same quality and quantity for $8 a month?

If money becomes a problem, I'll drop Sirius satellite radio first, Dish Network next, and then Blockbuster Movie Pass before I go without Netflix streaming. 3 years ago I was not a Netflix customer because they couldn't deliver. Today it just gets to be more and more of a bargain every month. It would still be a bargain at twice the price.

I watch on average 2-3 new movies a day! Right now I have 68 movies in my streaming cue for Netflix streaming plus 16 Blu Ray for mail that Blockbuster doesn't carry. The numbers in the cue were just half that 2 months ago. I don't know what I would do with 500% more content in the cue and I'm retired and have more time to watch than most of you. If you think Netflix is a rip off because it has too little content then your opinion is based on pure ignorance. If you think the price is a rip off yet pay 3 times that for another service, then you are penny wise dollar foolish. The best reason for dropping Netflix is if you no longer have any time to watch anything at all. I have a friend like that. But he doesn't even own a TV!

Don, I am no crusader, but I have dropped the Netflix streaming as of September 1. If I wanted to watch 2-3 movies a day and didn't care about the picture and sound quality, perhaps I would've kept it. I only watch a handful of new movies per month and for those, I want the best possible quality. Which for me means HD and Blu-ray, whenever possible. I pretty much stopped watching movies in SD years ago.

Netflix streaming is not too bad and has potential. I think I will be back in a year or two when the service matures. But with its current quality and selection, for me, it's a waste of money, and more importantly, a waste of time. I'd rather watch fewer movies a month, but pick exactly what I want and get the best home theater experience out of it.

And as I wrote in another thread, by unbundling the streaming from its disk-by-mail service, IMHO, Netflix has lost its main competitive advantage, shot itself in the foot. If I were you, Don, I would strongly consider selling Netflix stock before it's too late... ;)

Ilya- If you're not a movie watcher than I agree $8 a month is probably better spent on a fancy cup of Starbucks at one of your visits or what ever your vice is. My vice is watching movies and while Vudu still has an edge Netflix streaming quality in the past 2 months has greatly improved. Notyhing compares to Blu Ray and I have that with Blockbuster Movie and game pass. Now $36 a month for 2 out at a time. Netflix BD mail order has many titles I don't see at Blockbuster so I continue my Netflix mail account. Right now Netflix sends me 3 disks a week of Dexter. BB has it in DVD but not BD. I'm watching the entire series. If Netflix would have all BD also in streaming I would watch it there. I don't need to watch everything in Blu Ray but it is nice. My new projector upconverts regular DVD as good as my old projector did Blu Ray.
I will sell Netflix as soon as it hits a nice profit for the third time this year. I'm not an investor, I trade for short term gain. I bank on people who see the true value of what they offer and the expansion of the company world wide. I'll stop trading it when the fundamentals look bad. Right now all tech stocks are at the typical annual low. Sell them in January when they reach their peak. I don't know why that is bit it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)