Netflix stopped working.

veryfungi

Original poster
May 18, 2018
central Illinois
I have been using my hopper to watch netflix for months. My internet connection tops out at 2.1mbps. About a week or so ago it would not load, said netflix not available, try again later, 1287. I called them today and she verified the internet was detected and she tested the speed. She told me because netflix requires 5mbps it will not work. I explained it has been working for months and the equipment has not changed, she repeated the 5mbps requirement. She told me she submitted a ticket for the engineers, and instructed me to call back in two weeks... The only thing we have done at about the same time it quit working is we watched a couple on demand shows through the dvr. I.e. watched shows that are listed after you watch a recorded episode. It was buffering a lot so we canceled... No netflix after that. Any ideas?

They are definitely wrong about the 5mbps requirement. I have been on the road where I only got 1mbps internet. Even though the picture was not that great, Netflix still worked. The 5mbps Netflix speed requirement is for streaming in HD.

You can try signing out and in again to Netflix see if that fixes your problem. I always use either a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick to access Netflix ...a much better and trouble-free way to view Netflix.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have been using my hopper to watch netflix for months. My internet connection tops out at 2.1mbps. About a week or so ago it would not load, said netflix not available, try again later, 1287. I called them today and she verified the internet was detected and she tested the speed. She told me because netflix requires 5mbps it will not work. I explained it has been working for months and the equipment has not changed, she repeated the 5mbps requirement. She told me she submitted a ticket for the engineers, and instructed me to call back in two weeks... The only thing we have done at about the same time it quit working is we watched a couple on demand shows through the dvr. I.e. watched shows that are listed after you watch a recorded episode. It was buffering a lot so we canceled... No netflix after that. Any ideas?

:welcome to SatelliteGuys :)

We had a Hopper 2 that had the same problem a month or two ago. It didn't work for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden it started to work again. We tried all the usual tricks to get it back without luck and then one day it just worked again. :rollingeyes

If you haven't tried a Netflix reset already you could try that and it might help. It didn't help in our case but if you want to try it here's how you do it:

Depending on the remote press Home 3 times or Menu twice until you get to the Diagnostics page. From there select Tools then Reset to Factory Defaults then Reset Netflix to Defaults.

Hope that helps and Good Luck.

This same error happened to me once. I have DSL through the local telco and something got messed up on their end. Rebooting the modem fixed it. Seems like a silly thing to try but you might attempt it just in case. Sounds like you might be using DSL too if your speeds are that slow ;)

Give your modem a reboot and then power cycle your router and see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone. More info... I can not watch On Demand anymore either, just tried. It just does nothing, no error or anything. Yes Comfy-Numb, I'm using a DSL, only thing available for me out here. I've reset and or power reset everything, router, netflix app, satellite receiver, but nothing has any effect. It irks me a bit to be told call back in two weeks. Thanks

The On Demand thing is a new bug that showed up recently. I've a lot of posts about it on the tech portal. Mine, thank God, works fine. I just selected Saving Private Ryan, chose Watch Now and it started playing

Reactions: pattykay
Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone. More info... I can not watch On Demand anymore either, just tried. It just does nothing, no error or anything. Yes Comfy-Numb, I'm using a DSL, only thing available for me out here. I've reset and or power reset everything, router, netflix app, satellite receiver, but nothing has any effect. It irks me a bit to be told call back in two weeks. Thanks
netflix and on demand just started working again for no particular reason.
Interestingly enough, two weeks after you originally called and posted the problem here. :)

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts