Netflix Streaming just got better

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Ever since December when I first saw Netflix streaming on the XBox360 I fell in love! So much I picked up Roku box for travel use and while the 360 is being used for gaming. The Roku is a lot easier to move around than 360 since it is so small and has built in wireless. Enough of that....

I noticed Netflix has released a whole slew of instant play titles from Discovery! American Chopper, Deadliest Catch, Little People Big World, Mythbusters, Extreme Engineering and many more. This is awesome! DiscoveryHD is one of my favorite channels. If they keep releasing more and more things like this its going to hard to justify keeping my DishNetwork service. OTA and Netflix Instant Play would give me more than I ever need for TV entertainment.

Here's a website I check daily for new instant play releases:
NetFlix Instant Watch Tracker

EDIT:
Little People Big World
Survivor Man
Myth Busters
Deadliest Catch
Future Weapons
American Chopper
Miami Ink
Shark Week
Meerkat Manor
Extreme Engineering

I just wish they would have a deal with Netflix to carry some of the newer shows. It would be really nice if they showed up a couple weeks after they aired for the fist time.

Are you happy with the Roku device ? Why do they sell for more on Ebay then directly from Roku ?

I just wish they would have a deal with Netflix to carry some of the newer shows. It would be really nice if they showed up a couple weeks after they aired for the fist time.

I know what you are saying. Love the way the CSI's are as the new episodes pop up a day or so after they are shown.

Ever since December when I first saw Netflix streaming on the XBox360 I fell in love! So much I picked up Roku box for travel use and while the 360 is being used for gaming. The Roku is a lot easier to move around than 360 since it is so small and has built in wireless. Enough of that....

I noticed Netflix has released a whole slew of instant play titles from Discovery! American Chopper, Deadliest Catch, Little People Big World, Mythbusters, Extreme Engineering and many more. This is awesome! DiscoveryHD is one of my favorite channels. If they keep releasing more and more things like this its going to hard to justify keeping my DishNetwork service. OTA and Netflix Instant Play would give me more than I ever need for TV entertainment.

EDIT:
Little People Big World
Survivor Man
Myth Busters
Deadliest Catch
Future Weapons
American Chopper
Miami Ink
Shark Week
Meerkat Manor
Extreme Engineering

Great website!!! Thanks for sharing

That is a good Web site. I just wish there was a way to see which titles are in HD. It doesn't say anywhere on Netflix's Web site (that I've found). I'm assuming because HD isn't available for streaming via computer. I'm trying to justify getting a Roku or a Tivo HD receiver (don't have a 360).

That is a good Web site. I just wish there was a way to see which titles are in HD. It doesn't say anywhere on Netflix's Web site (that I've found). I'm assuming because HD isn't available for streaming via computer. I'm trying to justify getting a Roku or a Tivo HD receiver (don't have a 360).

Yep, that's one of the big arguments with Netflix's website and API. There only two ways I know they are HD. On the Roku it actually has the HD icon on the movie description. On the 360 you have to play the movie first and it will show up as HD if you have enough bandwidth.

I tried the streaming on my HTPC but it just doesn't look as good as the Roku or the 360, I'm guessing since the PC instant play doesn't show HD?

Anyone watch some of the new Discovery & TLC shows? I was kinda disappointed. It's only 4:3 SD. Looks like they got direct copies from the content they send cable companies for their On Demand service. I'll watch some of it when I have nothing else to watch but I was hoping for at least some DVD quality material.

I thought there was an HD collection for Instant Viewing? I don't have netflix anymore so can't check but I remember being able to find HD.

There is but sometimes movies are HD when they aren't listed in that genre. And I prefer to use the tracker website so I can see in an instant what was added recently.

I thought there was an HD collection for Instant Viewing? I don't have netflix anymore so can't check but I remember being able to find HD.

I'm assuming the "HD Collection" is only viewable with an HD enabled device like Roku, 360, and Tivo. I just checked again and couldn't find any on Netflix's Web site. Unfortunately a google of Netflix Watch Instantly HD collection hasn't turned up anything either. :(

BTW, if someone would be willing to at least list the highlights of what's available in HD, I would be very grateful. For example, what current TV series are there and are there any movies made since 2004 that were actually seen U.S. theaters? Thanks.

They don't show on the website what is available in HD. This is the one item that is missing in the watch now listings.

I'm assuming the "HD Collection" is only viewable with an HD enabled device like Roku, 360, and Tivo. I just checked again and couldn't find any on Netflix's Web site. Unfortunately a google of Netflix Watch Instantly HD collection hasn't turned up anything either. :(

I remember hearing a few people had to contact NetFlix to have the HD Genre enabled.

Attachments

• netflix.jpg
    netflix.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 271
I remember hearing a few people had to contact NetFlix to have the HD Genre enabled.

Yeah, I definitely don't see that as an option under Genres on my computer. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Just called and apparently the "HD Collection" genre is only enabled once you activite the external Watch Instantly device.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Ruko yesterday for 100 bucks. I also have the 360 and my family watches Heros everyday through the streaming netflix video. Each episode is in HD and we are loving it. I sub to the lowest allowable package for 9 bucks a mth and I think it is a great deal. I can't wait to get the Ruko so I could move it around as I please. I would like to see the Roku expand to be able to stream directly from a computer or Hulu.

I just ordered a Ruko yesterday for 100 bucks. I also have the 360 and my family watches Heros everyday through the streaming netflix video. Each episode is in HD and we are loving it. I sub to the lowest allowable package for 9 bucks a mth and I think it is a great deal. I can't wait to get the Ruko so I could move it around as I please. I would like to see the Roku expand to be able to stream directly from a computer or Hulu.

Remember...on the $9 plan you can only stream to one device at a time. From what I heard the number of DVD's you can have out a time is the number of devices that you can stream to at one time. I've never tried to stream to the 360 and Roku at the same time, it's just what I've read.

EDIT:
Little People Big World
Survivor Man
Myth Busters
Deadliest Catch
Future Weapons
American Chopper
Miami Ink
Shark Week
Meerkat Manor
Extreme Engineering

Well all i can say this is the best ip service and box ever seen or used and great picture! I bought 3 of these bad boys and activated all three on my account and watched 3 different movies on three hd sets and they all show a perfect perfect picture,Dish,direct,fiso,att there a new player in town and its called Netflix.P.S YOU CAN HAVE ALSO UP TO 6 DEVISES ON YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THE 8.99,13.99 & THE 16.99 PLAN AND ANYTHING ABOVE PLANS:eureka

Remember...on the $9 plan you can only stream to one device at a time. From what I heard the number of DVD's you can have out a time is the number of devices that you can stream to at one time. I've never tried to stream to the 360 and Roku at the same time, it's just what I've read.

6 is the number look under account details -devises,activate, and it says up to 6 players this is great:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts