Netflix to Begin Cracking Down on Password Sharing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Majority of phones and tablets at home are likely on the home's wifi.

Additionally, if they've used home wifi recently and accessed Netflix they're a trusted device. Like my kids' Kindles for example, they'll be able to take them to grandma's with no fuss under this.

Otherwise entering a 2-factor code like many other sites just once a week will be a relatively seamless process for most anyways.

Sure, but then it becomes counterproductive. They need a consistent, scalable solution.
This will turn in to a PITA once they start it up ....
An addl hassle that people didn't sign up for.

They will Loss plenty of people ...
Think about it, IF I am using someone elses password, say a friend, not a hacker ... remember, THEY are the ones that said, SHARE YOUR PASWORD ... My friend says, Hey, Netflix wants more money because your using my password, I can see BOTH people LEAVING the service ...

The just pass along the 4 digit code is No different than sharing the Password.

I guess well have to see how often people are bothered with this ... how do they prove that I don't have both locations in my name ?

I have 2 homes plus a Cottage .... I can watch them at on location, but when I got to the lake, I get to be hassled if I use it more often up there ?

Just thinking of issues that might or will happen, like I said above, well see how often they actually annoy people with this "Option"

Majority of phones and tablets at home are likely on the home's wifi.

Additionally, if they've used home wifi recently and accessed Netflix they're a trusted device. Like my kids' Kindles for example, they'll be able to take them to grandma's with no fuss under this.

Otherwise entering a 2-factor code like many other sites just once a week will be a relatively seamless process for most anyways.

Sure, but then it becomes counterproductive. They need a consistent, scalable solution.
My Point was that they are MOBILE not something that would be at necessarily connected to my home network ....
Btw, does this mean connected to your home network to watch Netflix or connected for any reason .... ?

This really goes by your IP address, all these devices are going to have different IP addresses.

I can see the government getting involved with this ... as far as a company monitoring IP addresses in a household/ for the entire country.

Sounds like an awful lot of work for Netflix to do ... maybe they are HIRING people now .... :)

Is anyone else having problems with a changing IP address?​

Is anyone else having problems with a changing IP address?​

Easily handled with two step authentication, send the code to your cell or email, punch it in on a screen on the app.

I use it every time I log into my banking, credit card and investment accounts, even if it remembers my IP address, i want the extra security, better safe then sorry.

Easily handled with two step authentication, send the code to your cell or email, punch it in on a screen on the app.

I use it every time I log into my banking, credit card and investment accounts, even if it remembers my IP address, i want the extra security, better safe then sorry.
I guess my point is Netflix constantly(from my home) is ever changing my IP. My bank and investment site I know every time it changes. Can go a few weeks then change a few times a week.

I guess my point is Netflix constantly(from my home) is ever changing my IP. My bank and investment site I know every time it changes. Can go a few weeks then change a few times a week.

Won't be an issue for most (my Cox IP can go several weeks without changing, for example), and perhaps an impetus for change for providers that do have more fleeting DHCP leases as it will drive support requests. Otherwise yeah, those users would occasionally be prompted to enter a code sent to the account email like so many other sites people are likely already used to doing that for.
My Point was that they are MOBILE not something that would be at necessarily connected to my home network ....
Btw, does this mean connected to your home network to watch Netflix or connected for any reason .... ?

This really goes by your IP address, all these devices are going to have different IP addresses.

I can see the government getting involved with this ... as far as a company monitoring IP addresses in a household/ for the entire country.

Sounds like an awful lot of work for Netflix to do ... maybe they are HIRING people now .... :)

Your external IP address is what matters. There are currently 58 devices with a unique IP on my network, to Netflix they all have the same IP - the address assigned to my modem that provides the interface between my network and Cox. Think of it like a house, 'how is everyone going to get mail if they live in different rooms' - everyone's at the same address, and your network hardware handles it from there to divvy up the traffic.

And no, you don't have to be connected to your home Network to watch Netflix, you just might occasionally have to enter a code, not unlike many other websites prompt users for.

There's nothing here that would require or prompt government oversight. The wheel is not being reinvented in any way here, just your understanding of these types of things. Oh, and Netflix has 16 pages of open positions.

If you don't understand how this stuff works, I wouldn't worry about it until we see what the actual program looks like and then how it actually affects you, a lot of these fears are largely baseless.

I can get the first world hassle of needing codes and what not. What I don't get are the people that seem to think Netflix owes them free programming. I was talking to younger relatives and this sense of entitlement to being able to share passwords for free content is just ridiculous. But good to see older people saying the same thing as well. It is a derivative MP3 pirating argument all over again.

I can get the first world hassle of needing codes and what not. What I don't get are the people that seem to think Netflix owes them free programming. I was talking to younger relatives and this sense of entitlement to being able to share passwords for free content is just ridiculous. But good to see older people saying the same thing as well. It is a derivative MP3 pirating argument all over again.
When I wrote that I was against password sharing, felt like the entire site was coming down on me.

Change is hard, so many ignore the TOS on sites they use, they'll move on or adhere to the new stuff (now enforced via a mechanism) and this will blow over for the most part.

I still think they'll end up turning this into a positive when it comes to revenue, the PR stink will be bad for a little while first though.

Streaming enables the fickleness, and in the absence of the customer acquisition costs of the traditional providers the industry is built for it. Just a matter of the value proposition being right to expand and maintain subs and things like this consternation will be largely short-lived.

I still think they'll end up turning this into a positive when it comes to revenue, the PR stink will be bad for a little while first though.
Stock Market seems to agree with you, which I am quite happy about since I have a lot of shares of Netflix.

Netflix 4K is so meh, I really don't see much difference.
I never have seen that much difference between Hd and 4k. Now when they did it in 1080p I saw a difference between hd and 1080p and it looked sharper, but 4k doesn't look that much different to my eyes.

Reactions: ncted
I never have seen that much difference between Hd and 4k. Now when they did it in 1080p I saw a difference between hd and 1080p and it looked sharper, but 4k doesn't look that much different to my eyes.
Just 4k, I can see a difference, but its not massive. When they are 4K and HDR (dolby vision in particular), its like the jump from SD to HD as far as a difference.

Just 4k, I can see a difference, but its not massive. When they are 4K and HDR (dolby vision in particular), its like the jump from SD to HD as far as a difference.
I've had a 4k tv with HDR for about 5 years now and presently have three of them in my house. I guess I can agree with you on the color using HDR is more vibrant. I guess I am just used to it now, but then again I don't see as good as I used to since I reached middle age. Reading up close I have to wear glasses.

OMG! Is it a CRT, too? Is that even legal? :oldlaugh
Not a CRT, but is a non-smart TV bought new last year. I do have to correct one thing in my post, the TV is 28", not 32". The 32" is one I bought for my daughter's bedroom for Christmas. The TV is listed as:

"28” LED HDTV by Continu.us | CT-2860 High Definition Non-Smart Television 720p 60Hz TV, Lightweight and Slim Design, VGA/HDMI/USB Inputs, VESA Wall Mount Compatible."

Try finding a 28" 1080P smart TV. I would have loved to go bigger and smarter, but living in a 34 foot motorhome means everything is space limited. The TV fits between two overhead cabinets that open with about a 1/4" clearance on each side. A Firestick 4K Max with 64 GB of external memory smartens the TV up enough for us.