Netflix to stream HD on XBOX360

Wow! Should be good. With all the talk about Comcast ( maybe other internet providers ) capping monthly downloads, how will HD streaming affect this? Last info I saw, Comcast was looking to cap at 250GB a month.

As someone who has bought a Roku player with the understanding that HD content would be available on it once they streamed HD I'm really upset by this. I just called them to voice my complaint and was advised that their streaming servers are not capable of streaming in HD and so the 360 streaming will only be in SD.

I didn't particularly believe the CSR because she changed her story halfway through the phone call. But that is what I was told by netflix.

Why do people thinking 250gb is a small amount of bandwidth all of the sudden?

If it was 25gb I'd understand that in some extraordinary uses you could pass that on a regular basis, but 250gb?

I forgot to mention. The CSR's initial solution was for me to return it. But since I'm beyond the 30 day return window, she advised me to sell the Roku player on eBay and buy an Xbox 360...

A funny response when all I wanted to point out was that they indicated HD would be available on the Roku once HD streaming was feasible and that I wanted them to deliver on that statement.

I don't like that it says it is only for XBox Live Gold members. I don't play any of my XBox games on-line right now so I never had a reason to get a gold membership.

I don't like that it says it is only for XBox Live Gold members. I don't play any of my XBox games on-line right now so I never had a reason to get a gold membership.

Most games with online features come with an x months free card too. They're adding more than just the games themselves that use online, stuff like 1 vs 100 is going to be available (perhaps for free?) to play online as your avatar I believe.

Most games with online features come with an x months free card too. They're adding more than just the games themselves that use online, stuff like 1 vs 100 is going to be available (perhaps for free?) to play online as your avatar I believe.

That is all fine but why should I have to pay for Netflix and then pay for a gold membership just to stream the movies that I am already paying for? Does not seem right to me.

Just depends on how you paint the picture to justify the cost, Live! is really not that expensive and even in the most negative light, Live + Netflix fees assuming the selection is becomes good is > by a PPV model by a large margin.

This will be the first buffet style pricing for HD streaming, no?

If they make it so it's just the unlimited out package from Netflix on top of this, then I am right there with you. I am not interested in getting discs from Netflix, I am only interested in their watch instantly, and now HD content. If they broke that up by tiers, that would be a compromise I'd look into taking advantage of (unlimited video on early tiers, access to HD on the highest).

I forgot to mention. The CSR's initial solution was for me to return it. But since I'm beyond the 30 day return window, she advised me to sell the Roku player on eBay and buy an Xbox 360...

A funny response when all I wanted to point out was that they indicated HD would be available on the Roku once HD streaming was feasible and that I wanted them to deliver on that statement.

I am sure it will happen soon enough. Microsoft probably made it part of the deal to have it exclusive to Xbox for X number of months in order to have it as a selling point. Same thing for the Xbox Gold, it is another selling poing to get people to shell out for that. Overall, it is still a great deal. Beats $4-5 to go to the store and rent a disc.

Considering the poor choices for movies to stream that Netflix now offers, I wonder how the list will be for HD streaming. My guess is it will be the same HD movies that you can get in bargain bins these days. The Patriot, oh my God!!!

netflix has some very nice movies for watch instantly. heck I watched no country for old men on there along with Pirates of the carribean. Considering I am not paying extra for the service, I think their selection is great. I will entertain paying extra for enhanced offerings and good HD quality (HDX quality) and possibly with Tivo, even download rentals like Unbox and Vudu.

As they ramp up this new starz play addition and studios are offering their HD content to other download services, I could see netflix greatly expand. They aren't getting these partnerships without the roadmap for greater offerings.

What I am likgin about netflix/tivo is maybe they can compete with Vudu on quality since it will be the first non-pc device to have mass storage.

*shaqdan, I like the avatar.

Last edited:
I bought another 360 for the bedroom anticipating the new update for HD.

Ya, will consider getting a 360 for the bedroom as well. Given the options. I've got a modified D* TiVo in there now, if that can't be updated (been so long since i changed the software, I'd have to figure out how again lol) then I'd consider picking up a 360 arcade and the 60gb HDD that's going on sale soon.

That is all fine but why should I have to pay for Netflix and then pay for a gold membership just to stream the movies that I am already paying for? Does not seem right to me.
Simple, netflix is one company and microsoft another. When Blueray won the format war that was a big blow for microsoft so now those hd dvd drives are useless paperweights and a revenue loss for Gates and friends. So what does microsoft do to stem the loss of capital but work out a deal with netflix and then add to that that it only go to gold member's. Myself I wont be taking advantage of if even if I can aford it because theres still only a handful of movies in hd and I still struggle with the $15. a month I spend on HD now given that so much of whats on the hd channels is upconvertd SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)