Netflix Ultra HD

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Hmm, I have a 30Mb connection and I'm not even getting standard HD. Anyway, why isn't my 30 Mb connection adequate to get near Blu-Ray quality without Netflix having to install equipment at ISP's? I can get even faster connections with my ISP and others in the area. How much bandwidth is enough?

Should be nice with Netflix 3D.
I get clean netflix pq with my 53/5 roadrunner connection.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

The main reason behind the new Netflix connection to ISPs is to avoid fees. They want to connect to the ISPs directly for free, instead of paying a content delivery service.

I have a 6Mbps DSL connection and Netflix HD plays awesome without any problems.

I guess I'm more demanding of my video quality. I know what HD should look like and I'm not getting that quality on my 30 Mb d/l. Take a peek at some of the Star Trek:Voyager episodes and pay attention to the lights in the sick bay and let me know what you see - the lights annoying flicker for me. Also, there are people that rave about how good the picture quality is on HITS (4DTV) but it looks bad to me.

I've noticed some network stuff on the internet isn't the best hd. I watched an episode of an ABC show and the commercials were great looking hd. The show at times looked like sd. Not the first time. I've noticed this elsewhere too. My connection averages 13mbps

you only need 5-7 Mb service to get it according to Netflix,and a supported device is required, i have 12 Mb dsl and on my PS3 SuperHd is activated.

you only need 5-7 Mb service to get it according to Netflix,and a supported device is required, i have 12 Mb dsl and on my PS3 SuperHd is activated.

The problem is that it is 5-7mbit per customer. Netflix does not want to double their content delivery charges by sending the extra bandwidth through the internet. This is why they want a direct connection to every ISP with Netflix's own fiber and cache servers.

why isn't my 30 Mb connection adequate to get near Blu-Ray quality

You are not going to get near Blu-Ray quality from any streaming service today. None of them get close to Blu-Ray quality, regardless of your Internet speed. (Even Satellite and cable companies can't deliver Blu-ray quality). Perhaps in the near future and most likely via download, not streaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bluray's video bit rate supports up to 48mbit/sec. Most movies do not need that much, as compression techniques have gotten a lot better.

Vudu's highest quality on my LG TV comes very close to my eyes to Blu-ray. I'm not claiming it is, but it's better than anything else I have tried online. Better than OTA HD network at least in my area.

Apple TV does a very good job on HD. But, the Apple TV box downloads the movie, and you can start watching right away only if your internet connection is fast enough. But, it is not bluray quality video, and it does not have lossless sound (just DD 5.1).

Vudu's highest quality on my LG TV comes very close to my eyes to Blu-ray. I'm not claiming it is, but it's better than anything else I have tried online. Better than OTA HD network at least in my area.

I agree, VUDU HDX is as good as I have seen when it comes to streaming. Very clean.

As far as Netflix, even when I had a 6 mbps DSL connection it was sufficient to hit Netflix HD quality. My current cable connection is faster, but not by much, and there is little to no difference. Even tethering my LTE connection, which in my area hits consistent 20-20mbps down, I notice little to no difference between it and what I had before when it comes to netflix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)