Netflix Problem Today

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
FYI Netflix appears to be having trouble with their streaming this afternoon. I was able to access via computer but not thru ROKU or my Vizio Tv. Called Netflix and got a recording saying they were having trouble streaming. Hope this helps someone else too

The problem still exists tonight. This really sucks on a holiday. Reminds when TVN went down on New Years Eve several years ago (for those that remember TVN). I guess I'll have to go watch regular TV or something from my DVD library.

It's an ODD issue, too. My Roku box says, "Can't connect to internet" on the netflix side and tries to continually re-establish a connection, but there are NO issues connecting to the net, my network, or the servers on the Amazon or other sides! Somethings messed up in a MAJOR way in their network! And yes, no fun on a holiday. Could they be overloaded??

Watching Amazon with no issues right now, which makes the following link interesting...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/24/netflix-outage/

Last edited:
The articles point to Amazon server issues, but in my case, all my Amazon stuff is up and running.
First time ever I've had a netflix outage simulate a missing or bad localized connection on my home network!

It's an ODD issue, too. My Roku box says, "Can't connect to internet" on the netflix side and tries to continually re-establish a connection, but there are NO issues connecting to the net, my network, or the servers on the Amazon or other sides! Somethings messed up in a MAJOR way in their network! And yes, no fun on a holiday. Could they be overloaded??

Nope. It's a major outage. http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/12/25/netflix-says-video-streaming-service-hit-by-outage/

Watching Amazon with no issues right now, which makes the following link interesting...

Yeah, let's spend hundreds of dollars a year in order to get TV by subscribing to every streaming, cable, and satellite service that we can get.

Woaw! You completely missed the point here!

The point WAS: It was ODD that a problem at Netflix would cause a perfectly functioning Roku box to say, "can't connect to the internet" repeatedly, when obviously it was connected for other services. That was odd. And, it was a first in my years with Roku and Netflix. Despite the fact it was a major outage, the nature of the error messaged was not one usually found during outages by Netflix.

Then, you appeared to assume I subscribe to Amazon. I do not. I buy some things from them that I want to access conveniently, or that go on sale as digital format. It made sense, when Netflix was down, to check other services, thus narrowing the issue to a service, a connection, or the box. Seems logical to me!

So, what was your point? I'm actually only paying for one service (not that its anyone's business) and made accurate observations to contribute to the thread. The rest of my viewing life is FTA and OTA.

Sounds like the Roku box isn't "perfectly functioning" if getting an Internet timeout is causing it to give a LAN connectivity error. This isn't something you can blame Netflix or Amazon for.

Insert "wrong" buzzer here.

Netflix' issue caused this error, (new to my box and my eyes.) Roku was fine on all other services during the netflix outage.
Their "issue" was interpreted by the box in that manner.

Process of elimination, process of searching for other users nationwide with issues. With most
streaming boxes, they either have connectivity or they don't. If an individual service is down, you'll get some kind
of error, or "hanging" asking for the file, but not one that takes you through the "reconnect" steps for the whole box... which by the way, I didn't need to do to enjoy other services during the issue. Thus, during the issue the score was:

BOX: 1
NETFLIX: 0

Yeah I think the issue was with Netflix not Roku. I can't imagine Netflix having anything to do with Amazon's servers. I'd look at them as competition.

Sad it hasn't been fixed by now and they haven't given there customers discounts for this and same here Amazon is competition to Netflix :)

I had the same issues on my lg tvs, working as of right now, but I also had the same errors, cannot connect to internet, so i bought all the seasons of are you afraid of the dark on vudu to remember my golden years lol.

Roku was fine on all other services during the netflix outage.
Their "issue" was interpreted by the box in that manner.
In what way should a streaming service non-response be interpreted as a LAN problem (especially in vew of other Internet-based services working fine)?

Netflix isn't forcing the Roku to mis-report the error if the Roku can't find Netflix to consult.

Read the thread previous to your rebuttal. How is it interpreted that way? By the ROKU Box itself and its own error screen!

"I had the same issues on my lg tvs, working as of right now, but I also had the same errors, cannot connect to internet,"

It happened. Two of us witnessed it. You didn't? Why fight us? Facts are facts. You're telling us that software
can't interpret something as "wrong" and return an error that is incorrect or doesn't exist? Ever owned a computer?

1) No netflix, outage documented as widespread
2) Netflix error causing ROKU box interpretation as "no connection" with other services still functioning was an incorrect ROKU interpretation of the issue.
3) Same error observed on different device by different post responder (above) during same outage.
4) Other services fully available during "outage" on my device, verified that the ROKU device was, indeed connected via wifi and fully functional.

Disputing of case symptoms politely closed.

I also had the exact Roku error as Radio reported. Also could not connect to Netflix using the HTPC.

Nothing like hiring the competition to distribute your programming... :D

Couldn't connect to Netflix using a Dynex Blu Ray player Christmas Eve. Problem was cleared up by morning. And really AWS and Amazon Instant Video are the same company, but on opposite ends of the same house. Same parent, but one doesn't care what the other is doing because they are both bringing home the big bucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts