Status
Please reply by conversation.

msherr2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Lake View, NY
Hi all!
I am a new Direct sub and am interested in how to set up a network to my computer. I've read the Direct manual, but I'm not sure what I'm doing or what exactly I need. So I'll tell you what I have and if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

I have a dsl modem from verizon connected to my computer. I may want to add
a wireless router (if you can recommend one) that will work with the HR-22. If I get a wireless router do I need anything else?
I can also run a line if necessary. I don't currently have a laptop so I don't need to connect that. My kids got a Wii for Christmas and would like that networked as well.

If anyone can give me instructions or point me where to get them I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Mike

Here's a good source for info on networking issues with the HR2X's, HR2x Networking 101 - DBSTalk.Com.

If you can run a wire for network connection that's the best way to go, but if you want to go wireless the HR2X's natively support the Linksys WGA600N wireless adapter, just plug it in and it brings up configuration screens. As for a wireless route it will depend on what wireless adapter you get, if you get a "N" wireless adapter then get a "N" router.

Hi Mike,

A broadband router will allow you to share the DSL connection with more devices then just your computer. So, the broadband router (wireless or otherwise) will connect to the DSL modem and then you need a connection from your computer to the router. This can be either wired with an ethernet cable or wireless. If you want to connect via wireless, your computer may need a wireless card, or USB wireless dongle if it does not have it built-in (most newer laptops do, desktops don't). The HR22 also needs to connect to the router. Again, this can be via several methods. The easiest if you have the ability to run the cable is a direct ethernet connection. If the HR22 is somewhere else and you cannot run a cable, then you have 2 options. First, you can go wireless. You will need to purchase a device that converts wireless to ethernet, sometimes called a wireless bridge or ethernet gaming adapter. The other way is powerline ethernet. It converts ethernet to signals over the powerlines in your house. D* sells those directly or you can also pick them up locally. That kit would consist of 2 devices, one at the HR22 end and the other at your router.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Jason

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)