networking question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

satnewb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 9, 2011
New Baltimore, MI
Just switched isps and now have a wifi router I don't need. New isp is modem/wifi router in one. Would like to repurpose my router as an ethernet switch but not sure what settings I need to enable or disable in order to do this.

Called tech support and india told me to disable dhcp but still a no go. New router is up and running as well as my existing 8 port switch and assorted devices connected to it. Don't really "need" the additional ports, but hey, why not.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

What is the brand of modem, and the brand of router you have?

Basically you will go out one of the modem ports to the internet port of the router just like you had it connected before. If the IP addresses are not the same it should work fine.

Its a 2wire modem and my router is a Cisco valet. I connected it to one of the ports on my switch (via a wall jack upstairs) and was able to get to the router settings on my laptop via the 192.168.1 address. Disabled dhcp but still can't connect to the internet via the ethernet ports on the router.

Didn't try connecting directly off the 2wire router but I can do so easily as I do have a wall plate in the bedroom running directly off the router.

This is probably technically not right, but on a few occasions I have plugged in the Ethernet cable into a regular output port on a 2nd router & was able to make it work just fine. The "wan" port was a no go for me.
Would love to know the right way to do this also.

Don't run your old router thur the wan port. You should be able to plug into the switch part after you disable DHCP. So you would have 3 ports open. (with nothing in the wan port your asking for trouble if your running the same subnet on both routers)

I would wait for a deal and get 5 port switch for around $10-$15.

As suggested turn off DHCP on second downstream router, connect a LAN port on new device to a LAN port on old device.

You also could separate your wireless traffic. One router G traffic the newer router for N traffic. When B/G are combined the potential throughput is limited to a maximum of 54 Mbps if both B & G clients are present.

If you aren't going to use WiFi on both routers power off the radio on the unused device to save power and prevent unnecessary wear and tear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts