New 1080p HDTVs compared

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
I think they left the best one, out of the comparison. The JVC HD-ILA. It's here:http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027824&pathId=125&page=1
I've not personally seen the new ones yet, but I saw the last version, setup side by side, with the Sony SXRD, and the JVC looked better. The Sony also looked good. Just not as good.

I think the LCoS tvs, are the best thing out there right now. But there's new technology coming that may change my mind. We'll see..........

hi guys

I would take the Samsung display hands down out of all that are mentioned here.

The samsungs offer the ability to get perfect colorimetry. It also has a very huge contrast ratio.

regards

Gregg

Why didn't they compare to a Mitsubishi DLP 1080p? Or are they in a higher class of their own, and no comparison? I know my 2 yr old, 1080i, 62" DLP is great.

Gregg Loewen said:
hi guys

I would take the Samsung display hands down out of all that are mentioned here.

The samsungs offer the ability to get perfect colorimetry. It also has a very huge contrast ratio.

regards

Gregg

WOW cool thank you for the heads us. I was going to buy this set a month ago and been bust around the house.

I bought a Mits 57" 1080P DLP almost a month ago. I went to the store to buy the Sony, but there is no comparison between the two. I got the Mits NIB for $2400.00 out the door. This TV replaced a 16 year old Mitsubishi 35" whose tube simply died.

This is a fantastic TV--easy to set up and navigate the menus. I highly recommend it for your consideration if you are in the market for another TV.

I was supposed to buy a new SED this fall, but so much for that bright idea!:rolleyes:

I have three HDTVs (Mits Diamond RP-CRT, Sony PR-LCD, Samsung SlimFit CRT) and I AM NOT a fan of DLP technology...until now. I recently saw the Mitsubishi WD-57732 1080p DLP in action and it is both awesome and incredibly affordable. Ghost speaks the truth!

Anyway, I have no particular bias toward any brand...just look for the set that works for my situation and provides the most bang for the buck. I just can't image too many people being unhappy the Mits 2007 DLPs.

I checked the Mits 57 inch at a big box retailer and it's at under $2400. That's amazing considering my Sony 50 inch Grand Wega was $3200 just 2 1/2 years ago. To think you can buy a 57 inch 1080p tv now for about 1/3rd less than a 50 inch 1080i tv was a few years ago. Pretty amazing!

Sorry Sammy owners, but I have purchased several Samsung products and I cannot recommend their garbage to anyone, under any circumstance. This is one of my better (and my last) Samsung experiences: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7139594&&#post7139594

If you want cheap crap that falls apart soon after the warranty expires, then by all means buy Samsunk junk. I hope I can persuade just one person to avoid Samsung like Black Death.

As far as the Sony KDS-60A2000...I was disappointed with the effort - last years XBR1 was much better. Anyway, these are just my opinions.;)

riffjim4069 said:
I was supposed to buy a new SED this fall, but so much for that bright idea!:rolleyes:

I have three HDTVs (Mits Diamond RP-CRT, Sony PR-LCD, Samsung SlimFit CRT) and I AM NOT a fan of DLP technology...until now. I recently saw the Mitsubishi WD-57732 1080p DLP in action and it is both awesome and incredibly affordable. Ghost speaks the truth!

Anyway, I have no particular bias toward any brand...just look for the set that works for my situation and provides the most bang for the buck. I just can't image too many people being unhappy the Mits 2007 DLPs.

So, what is up with the SED technology anyway? Still coming?

I've had my Samsung DLP for over 2 1/2 years with absolutely no problems (it even has 11000+ hrs on the original lamp) so YMMV. On the other hand you couldn't pay me to have anything with the Sony name on it, they used to make good products but their current stuff is a bunch of overrated junk. IMHO.

NightRyder

Hey guys, Samsung is bringing out a 61" dlp 1080p that uses LEDs in November. When you turn it on the picture is instantaneous and the set produces 98% of the colour spectrum. It has a 1 millisecond response time and a 50,000 hour lifespan with very little degridation of picture over the life of the set.

They feel that this will give Toshiba's SEDs a run for their money. At the last CES a company announced the new LEDs but I forgot the name. Seems Samsung is trying to stage an early attack on Toshiba with a new idea! No, I do not work for Samsung but I have been lucky enough to run into a Samsung rep not once but twice now. Got the same info from both except that the release of this set was moved back one month.

SED sets MIGHT hit the U.S. in 2008. Production begins late 2007 for the Japanese market. This technology has been delayed repeatedly and may or may not see the light of day. I have come to doubt that they will ever be a mass market product. Too many other good display technologies out there, getting better and cheaper all the time- and that have a long lead on SED in the marketplace. IF it makes it to market, it will be 1 to 3 years before we'll know for sure if they solved the emitter erosion problem. I'd love to get an SED one day- if it performs as promised and is reasonably priced.

I bought an HDTV in early 2005, planning on moving on to newer technology in 2010. By then, it might be clear which technologies are in it for the long haul. We may even see OLED in large sizes by then. Maybe.

If you go with a DLP unit, I suggest you stick with an LED or laser based unit. Avoid the ones using color wheels and rotating prisms (prisms aren't used anymore, to my knowledge). This way, less chance of you or your family or guests developing headaches or seeing rainbows.

I second the suggestion you consider the JVC line. I bought a 61" 720p version that I am very happy with. I have not seen the 1080p versions, but have read nothing but praise about them.

i got that same sony that the first link was reviewing, and it's a hell of a nice tv, great picture quality, great features, couldn't be more happier, i did get the 50in one instead of the 60in, it's a great tv, at least that's my experience

HD still seems to be an emerging technology that has not matured enough yet because of the obvious disadvantages of each technolgy used in different television sets. This new Samsung LED television seems to be a step in the right direction. I just wonder at what price this will come at and if it will have as good of a contrast ration as I see on some of the plasma's (10,000:1).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts