New 240Hz HD set...should I upgrade HDMI cables?

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
Okay, first, I understand this may not be the best board for this question but we have a dizzying number of boards on this forum and the one that deals with cables seems to have only one recent post. Interesting article, but way too much detail for my question when I'm happy with your opinions! :) (article link below)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=207057

So, I just picked up a Sony LED-LCD (KDL-60NX801) and each time I buy a new set I seem to need new cables.

Should I use the HDMI cables that came with my Dish HD DVR and Sony Blu-Ray player or upgrade to another set? Keep in mind, I'm not a complete technophile on these things so I'm only interested in buying new cables if *most* people would notice a difference.

So, upgrade or use the ones that come with my equipment?

Thanks!

-todd

I didn't, I have a 55" 240hz and still using the same HDMI cable from Monoprice I've been using for like 3yrs with other TV sets.

Cant tell any difference with a Monster cable from Best buy that was rated 240hz with the generic one from Monoprice so I'd returned the Monster Gold

240hz has nothing to do with the HDMI. The programming comes from your settop box, blu ray player, etc at a max of 60p. The TV is just showing each frame (or interpolating) 4x.

Thanks, guys. I'll stick with what I have.

Any time you ask a "tech" in a store they insist that you are a moron for spending $ for a nice set and not paying for the premium monster cables to go with it.

Yes, when in reality they are doing you a disservice by not giving you good information.

So, upgrade or use the ones that come with my equipment?
The simple rule would be: up to 5 feet a coathanger will do (with HDMI ends, of course); 5 to 25 something from Costco will do just fine; above 25 go to monoprice...

Diogen.

Thanks, guys. I'll stick with what I have.

Any time you ask a "tech" in a store they insist that you are a moron for spending $ for a nice set and not paying for the premium monster cables to go with it.

The sad part is that the store needs you to buy the premium monster cables because they probably make more on the cables than they did selling you the TV.

Current cables will work fine, might try some 1.4 HDMIs when available. That standard will add several capabilities, beside 3D.:D

The simple rule would be: up to 5 feet a coathanger will do (with HDMI ends, of course); 5 to 25 something from Costco will do just fine; above 25 go to monoprice...

Diogen.

Monoprice is good but I prefer Bluejean Cables...especially for custom lengths AND still cheaper and better than anything you will by at a big box store.

It is hard to find a cable maker that isn't better than Monster in terms of value.
I mentioned Costco only because of easy availability and generous return policies.
It will probably be twice (per foot) when compared to Monoprice/BlueJeans but in an hour as opposed to in a week...
And when talking about $7-$15 it isn't an issue, I think.

Diogen.

It is hard to find a cable maker that isn't better than Monster in terms of value.
I mentioned Costco only because of easy availability and generous return policies.
It will probably be twice (per foot) when compared to Monoprice/BlueJeans but in an hour as opposed to in a week...
And when talking about $7-$15 it isn't an issue, I think.

Diogen.

So do what the rest of us do...buy the cable local until your Monoprice/BlueJeans comes in, then return it. :)

The last time someone tried to push Monster cables on me at Bestbuy, I told him I'll bring in my $4 MP cable for a side by side comparison. If you and the customers in the store at that time can see the monster cable shows a better picture, I'd buy one. He obviously declined.

Current cables will work fine, might try some 1.4 HDMIs when available. That standard will add several capabilities, beside 3D.:D

Ahh, now that is interesting. Would be worth putting in cables on a new set that I don't have to change down the road.

I'm staring at this package of twin WireLogic HDTV caples that I picked up at Costco. Was deciding if I should return them or not, but you just mentioned "3D" and it sent me back to look at the package.

I wasn't sure what on the package was just marketting B.S. vs. actual differences in the cable. Nowhere on the package does it say "1.4 HDMI" but it does say;

1080p/120 Hz - 4K - 3D
HDMI High Speed with Ethernet
Delivers 100% of the data required for 120Hz/240Hz/600Hz and higher flatscreens.
Compatible with ALL HDMI Standards​

• It then goes on to explain that there are "Standard Speed" cables (1080i, 720p, 1080p/30Hz video),
  • "High Speed" cables (additionally offer 1080p/120Hz, 4K, 3D video) and then
  • "With Ethernet" HDMI cable (with HEC) includes conductors for bi-directional Ethernet communications. Ethernet capability is independent of "Speed" cabability.

So, is this all horse sh*t or a cable worth keeping? Two 12' cables (plus screen cleaner) cost $39 at Costco. For the same price I could have gotten two 6 foot Vizio cables w/ 24K gold connectors, but these WireLogics seemed like better quality. They sound like keepers, although, they are 6 feet longer than I need them to be! :D

IIRC Ethernet capability is HDMI 1.4...
But unless devices on both ends support it, its capabilities are wasted...

I used WireLogic cables, but never with 3D, 4K, 600Hz...
Can't complain.

Diogen.

IIRC Ethernet capability is HDMI 1.4...
But unless devices on both ends support it, its capabilities are wasted...

I used WireLogic cables, but never with 3D, 4K, 600Hz...
Can't complain.

Diogen.

Well, it certainly would be nice if all my devices could pass ethernet around to each other. Think about it...my new Sony has WiFI built into it. If that could distribute ethernet to my Dish722 (which needs it) and my Sony Blu-Ray player (which benefits from it) that would make all my home wiring much easier! But, I seriously doubt the Sony TV has the capability to do that. So, even though my new set has WiFI, I'll still end up having to get a hard ethernet line to my receiver...

In any event, good discussion. If I think there is a chance I'll want 3D in the future then it'd be nice to have high speed cables. However, since my Blu-Ray says it is 3D ready (with firmware upgrade), and it comes with an HDMI cable, I'd have to assume that the cable it comes with his high speed.

So I'm back to not needing my WireLogic cables. :)

Well, it certainly would be nice...
And for this very reason won't work.:)

The CE companies will make sure every time you want "nice" to make "reality" you upgrade at least some of your components...

And don't expect them get the networking part right from the start, it will take time.

Diogen.

You're right, diogen. Oh well on that one.

On the upside, I looked at my spontaneous blu-ray player purchase from Costco and found out that it has built in wifi as well! That's great. Now let's just hope the start-up and disc load time is quicker than the last Sony blu-ray player I bought....which...is...abominal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)