NEW ACCESS CARD FOR SONY SAT A55

Status
Please reply by conversation.

capts32

Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
florida
I HAVE AN RV WHICH CAME WITH A KVH SELF SEEKING DISH ON THE ROOF AND A SONY SAT A55 DIGITAL RECEIVER. UNFORTUNATELY NO ACCESS CARD WAS IN THE RECEIVER AT THE TIME I PURCHASED THE RV. I HAVE CALLED DIRECTV TO OBTAIN A CARD AND THEY WANT AN RID NUMBER. AS THIS IS AN OLDER UNIT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE AN RID. I HAVE ALSO CALLED SONY AND THEY HAD ME LOOK IN THE SYSTEM INFO TO NO AVAIL. ANY WAY FOR ME TO GET A CARD FOR MY DIRECTV ACCOUNT AND MAKE THIS THING WORK? THE RECEIVER AND DISH WORK FINE, LOCK ONTO SIGNAL ETC, JUST NEED THE CARD TO START VIEWING. i ALREADY HAVE A DIRECTV HOME ACCOUNT IN MY HOUSE.

You will probably need to upgrade the receiver to a D10. I believe that is the newest receiver that will work, I think it needs a low speed data port. Try Directv technical support they maybe able to answer questions about receivers that will work with your dish. You could also go to the access card department to see if they can provide a card for a non RID receiver. I believe it is a relatively recent ruling to stop supporting non RID receivers.

I HAVE AN RV WHICH CAME WITH A KVH SELF SEEKING DISH ON THE ROOF AND A SONY SAT A55 DIGITAL RECEIVER. UNFORTUNATELY NO ACCESS CARD WAS IN THE RECEIVER AT THE TIME I PURCHASED THE RV. I HAVE CALLED DIRECTV TO OBTAIN A CARD AND THEY WANT AN RID NUMBER. AS THIS IS AN OLDER UNIT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE AN RID. I HAVE ALSO CALLED SONY AND THEY HAD ME LOOK IN THE SYSTEM INFO TO NO AVAIL. ANY WAY FOR ME TO GET A CARD FOR MY DIRECTV ACCOUNT AND MAKE THIS THING WORK? THE RECEIVER AND DISH WORK FINE, LOCK ONTO SIGNAL ETC, JUST NEED THE CARD TO START VIEWING. i ALREADY HAVE A DIRECTV HOME ACCOUNT IN MY HOUSE.

NOPE!
You need an IRD with a RID #
No way around it

There IS actually a way to still get a non-RID receiver to work, but you'll still need a RID receiver in the process:

- if you already DO have an existing RID receiver on your account, & you don't use the receiver, take the card out of it & put it into your non-RID receiver
- have your service refreshed; see this link for ways to do it yourself:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-channels-how-reauthorize-your-receivers.html

After the refresh goes thru, your non-RID receiver should now work - note this process will NOT work if you are trying to go to another RID receiver. You CAN put the card back into it's OWN RID receiver if you need to remarry it back to it's original receiver.

If you do NOT have a RID receiver, you'll need to get one with a working card on your account, THEN do the process above.

Unless D* has changed something recently, this should all work fine...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I did try it last nite, taking the access card from my RID home receiver and placing it in the non RID Sony receiver. Set it up in the home and went online to refresh it. The result was a message on screen saying I had inserted the wrong access card. Tried to power off and on a few times and refreshed it a couple of times with same result. The process did do something as when I re inserted the access card into original RID receiver I got an error code and had to refresh it to get it working again. I even opened up the case on the non RD receiver to see if it had a tag anywhere inside with an RID number, non found anywhere on it. I guess my last effort will be to call D and plead my case for activation of the non RID receiver. If they don't offer help I'm considering closing my account with them as I am out of "contract"

Your going to cancel your TV entertainment because you have an antique Directv receiver that is no longer supported? I've seen some STUPID posts but yours takes the cake. A D10 receiver is cheap and will get your RV working.

Thanks for the info, I did try it last nite, taking the access card from my RID home receiver and placing it in the non RID Sony receiver. Set it up in the home and went online to refresh it. The result was a message on screen saying I had inserted the wrong access card. Tried to power off and on a few times and refreshed it a couple of times with same result. The process did do something as when I re inserted the access card into original RID receiver I got an error code and had to refresh it to get it working again. I even opened up the case on the non RD receiver to see if it had a tag anywhere inside with an RID number, non found anywhere on it. I guess my last effort will be to call D and plead my case for activation of the non RID receiver. If they don't offer help I'm considering closing my account with them as I am out of "contract"

Your going to cancel your TV entertainment because you have an antique Directv receiver that is no longer supported? I've seen some STUPID posts but yours takes the cake. A D10 receiver is cheap and will get your RV working.

I agree with boba, you can probably get one for free since you are out of contract.

Well just to update everyone - I just tried this by taking the card in my Hughes HAH receiver w/a RID, & then putting it into an old Hughes 2nd gen receiver. (it's actually a Hitachi, but was made by Hughes) After refreshing that card, it came up on the old Hitachi receiver within seconds, & all my channels were there.
After a few minutes, I took it out & put it back in the original HAH receiver, (got the card error screen) refreshed again & again, came back up within seconds.

capts - what kind of receiver at home did you take the card out to test with? Was it an HD receiver per chance? I'm thinking there might be an issue with those particular cards being able to be refreshed in SD boxes?

Well just to update everyone - I just tried this by taking the card in my Hughes HAH receiver w/a RID, & then putting it into an old Hughes 2nd gen receiver. (it's actually a Hitachi, but was made by Hughes) After refreshing that card, it came up on the old Hitachi receiver within seconds, & all my channels were there.
After a few minutes, I took it out & put it back in the original HAH receiver, (got the card error screen) refreshed again & again, came back up within seconds.

REALLY ???? :D

This really surprises me.
I would have bet that it said "Wrong card Inserted" of course I have never been able to Refresh the card before when I was playing around with that stuff.

I don't tinker with the HD stuff, it's tooo valuable to me !

Just set it up, get it running and leave it alone.

I just searched eBay for Directv D-10 receivers 31 were listed from $4.99 to $28.99 some with free shipping. Are you sure you want to cancel Directv because your 14 year old A55 can no longer be activated?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)