New Audio problem with 3.63 on 622 when will it be fixed?

pacorn said:
I called DishNetwork technical support a few minutes ago. The technician told me that it was an issue that affects the HDMI port and that if I switched to the component video/RCA audio connections, I shouldn't have the problem (I'm not currently at home to test the hypothesis). She said she didn't know when there would be a fix, or what the fix would be.
Well I'm using component video out on TV 1 and have the sound drop-out problem. So the script they read people who call tech support needs editing :rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

I had an issue this morning (first issue in over a month, probably new software eh?)

I was watching a DVR'd program on TV1, when I reached the end of the program I selected DELETE the program Deleted then all the lights on the front of the 622 turned off and there was no sound coming from the receiver, i tried doing a soft power on and off and changing channels or even starting a new DVR event... still no sound... the only thing which corrected the sound issue was a reboot (via holding the power button).

After it came back up I tried another show and sure enough when I reached the end of the program and selected DELETE the same no audio / lights out on the front panel happened again. This time I decided to do a PowerPlug reboot.

I haven't tried it since because I was recording something and had to run to work... I'll see if I can reproduce it again.

I wish there was an email address to submit bug reports directly to dish rather than through the CSR maze.

UPDATE: I'm using Optical out and RCA to the TV... both had the sound issues... will test more later.

Last edited:
Adding to the pool ...

So far, I have seen only one instance of a problem.

It was while watching NCIS recorded from CBSHDE,

At one point during the show, for about a minute or two, the audio went in and out repeatedly. There was no other concurrent activity on the unit, just the single stream being watched via component+rca (my HDMI is one that has not ever worked).

The video appeared to be fine during the audio issues ... the problem resolved itself after a couple of minutes max .... and we noticed no additonal issues while watching one other show, a scifi (very SD) eureka episode.

I noticed something somewhat similar on HDNET last night. I was watching Arrested Development and I have video through HDMI and audio is optical to my receiver and the audio was kicking off and on for Dolby Digital. My guess is the audio was probably just kicking off and on and by default the receiver detects that it lost the Dolby Digital feed so it kicks it back to Pro Logic.
I also recorded the Gorillaz concert from yesterday and the first 2 miniutes it was doing the same audio cut out. I fast forwarded into the show and it fixed it. I originally thought it was HDNET but now I am not sure. I was watching CBS last night but that was OTA and through the Dish Sat feed and the audio seemed fine.

I also got the total audio dropout last night. I am using the optical cable. Nothing but a reboot would fix it. Prior to last night, I was also having random reboots where I would totally lose audio and video. A technician is supposed to come look at my setup this weekend. Tech support said they were not familiar with this problem. But last night was the first time, I just completely lost audio so it's nice to see other people reporting the same problem (so that tech support can't say they don't know about it).
It still absolutely amazes me that we can never get a software upgrade without breaking several things.

Lost audio 4 times last night and 1 time this morning. Only fix was to reboot. What are they doing to fix this? I am using optical output and HDMI.

This may be the problem...

Dish Software Upgrade Beta Testers Wanted

Must be Deaf and Blind.
Being Dumb (AKA not too smart) a big plus.

Talon Dancer

Where did you see that...

if its serious I'd apply as I'd gladly like to be able to give bug feedback to dish to help the 622 get better.
TalonDancer said:
Dish Software Upgrade Beta Testers Wanted

Must be Deaf and Blind.
Being Dumb (AKA not too smart) a big plus.

Talon Dancer

abricko said:
Where did you see that...

if its serious I'd apply as I'd gladly like to be able to give bug feedback to dish to help the 622 get better.
I'm sure many of us, like you, would like to help Dish release less buggy Software Updates. But appearantly most of us are not deaf and/or blind enough to qualify :) Besides, I've never seen a real "Dish beta testers wanted" posting.

Talon Dancer

I just registered to add my experience to the mix

Yesterday morning I turned the TV on to catch my morning ESPN HD no audio I tried a couple of things and finnally rebooted the satelite reciever(622) and every thing went back to working

Got home turned on the TV no audio rebooted again and everything worked listened to sirius radio for an hour or so. when the wife got home I decided to record one program OTA and settled in to watch another program and then the sound went out again since I was recording I switched over to the OTA waited for it to go to commercial break and rebooted again. 15 min later the sound went out again I rewound? back to the part I had just watched with sound and still had no sound. Then I went into trouble-shoot mode some observations

No optical audio out on TV1, although light is still present

No RF audio out on TV1,I have a 622 and a 525 and I have it set up where any TV in the house can view any satelite tuner on channel 4,59,61 and 63 in this case channel 59 is TV1 and it did not have sound

The sound is fine on TV 2

programs recorded on TV1 (while the sound is not working)can be played back on TV2 with sound I did manage to finish watching what I was watching by recording the remainder of it and watching it on TV2 (which is Channel 61 at my house)

once I was done watching it I deleted and that caused the system to reboot :mad:

on the upside maybe I should just record 10-20 1 minute clips at least that way I won't have to get off the couch to fix the audio problem:D

wied said:
I also had the audio drop out problem on HDMI connector switched to componet and had same problem. TV 2 seem to work fine. Called dish they are sending me a new receiver.
See I told you folks that "being dumb" was only "big plus" for beta testers. But as this post demonstrates, "being dumb" is an absolute job requirement for Dish Tech Support :)

Seriously...
Surely Dish Tech Support knows by now that _many_ 622s have had audio problems after the 3.63 software upgrade and should be scrambling the software engineers to get it fixed ASAP.

FWIW I will be stunned if a new 622 fixes this problem without a further software upgrade. OTOH my 622 does have a tensy, tiny scratch on the case -- maybe I should call Tech Support while they are still in a giving mood :)

Talon Dancer

colej said:
Yesterday morning I turned the TV on to catch my morning ESPN HD no audio I tried a couple of things and finnally rebooted the satelite reciever(622) and every thing went back to working

Same problem here. I've noticed that if the receiver is off for > one hour then it loses the audio on TV1.

It's interesting that my father has a 622 version E with software 3.63 - mine is version C - and he doesn't have this problem.

N

TalonDancer said:
I will be stunned if a new 622 fixes this problem without a further software upgrade.

My father's 622 is version E, software version 3.63, and he doesn't have the audio problem. Mine is version C, also software 3.63, and it's been losing audio since 3.63 was released.

N

Has anyone experiencing problems with the optical digital audio tried switching their A/V receiver to stereo?

I ask because I remembered that I had my receiver in stereo last night, instead of DD, because a speaker wiring problem. I had no audio dropouts over a 3 hour period.

Or once the dropout occurs while in DD mode, have you tried switching your receiver into stereo mode to see if that brings back the audio?

Nicu said:
My father's 622 is version E, software version 3.63, and he doesn't have the audio problem. Mine is version C, also software 3.63, and it's been losing audio since 3.63 was released.

N
I am officially stunned!

Maybe I need to get that tiny scratch fixed after all, says Talon Dancer trying to figure out which version 622 he has:)

One has to wonder though, why would Dish knowingly send out an update that would break the audio on lots of existing 622s.

Talon Dancer