New AZbox receivers coming?

Based upon Hugo's comments to "develop a more OPEN box and counting on the cooperation of the community" and "transfer this philosophy" to their current models, I interepret that as meaning they are intimately involved in the development for Enigma2 for current and upcoming models and future models will run android OS. He wants people to write apps for his boxes. BTW, very similar comments were posted by the E2 dev team not long ago ;)

Now up on the website with more information:

Set Top Boxes, Media Center: High Definition | AZBOX

AZBox Me has a File Browser
Blind Scan function
AZBox models include an integrated Web Browser
AZBox Me is also a Media Player
With Me, it is possible to watch YouTube videos on your TV
AZBox HD is capable of reproducing the High Definition format 1080p.
AZBox Me models are capable of reading RSS feeds
Me also comes with FTP Client which allows you to connect with AZBox HD to any local or remote FTP server
Channel related information and system operations are displayed via the VFD on the front part of the receiver.
AZBox Me is equipped with a card reader
IPTV on AZBox Me is easy to configure and use.
Your e-mails are now on your TV with AZBox Me.
listen to the radio via Internet.

On AZBox Me you will not lose those critical scenes of your favorite show, if you need to leave the room. Just activate the Time Shift function.

Electronic Program Guide on AZBox Me allows you to schedule the recordings of programs for later viewing, or schedule a watching list that will change the channel automatically to your favorite programs

Stargaze, great info, especially the Browser and Time Shift functions. The current Browser is very slow and poor so hopefully this may be better. The YouTube feature is already there on the Premium Plus, which is great. Any idea what the price will be?

Stargaze, great info, especially the Browser and Time Shift functions. The current Browser is very slow and poor so hopefully this may be better. The YouTube feature is already there on the Premium Plus, which is great. Any idea what the price will be?

Still listed as in the 1st post here: under 200 EUR.

It appears there may be enough enhancements to pick up an Azbox ME when it comes out in August. Even though it will not be wireless it appears that the core function of the new receiver is going to be worth it.

With the processor upgraded from the current models, along with the video/flash & Working Memory all upgraded from the current receivers it may be what is needed to record those high bitrate signals that the current receivers just could not seem to do properly.

*Note To Iceberg* The new CPU will not have the Macrovision in it ! Read the article below on the processor chip.

As far as the 16/32APSKgoes : that info was gleaned from other places mentioning it but there has been no official word on that as of yet so that may not be; but only someones hope the new receiver would be capable of handling it.

Azbox ME:: Specifications :

Operating System : Linux

Processor (CPU) :: SIGMA processor SMP 8655
Working Memory :: DDR 256 MB
Video Memory :: DDR 256 MB
Flash Memory :: 512 MB

Tuner :: Single tuner (DVB-S2 or DVB-T/DVB-C) embedded.
DiSEqC :: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, USALS
HDD :: eSATA and internal SATA
Video Output :: PAL / NTSC *same as Azbox Premium Plus *

Video Containers:: *same as Azbox Premium Plus *
MPEG1/2/4 (M1V, M2V, M4V); MPEG1/2 PS (M2P, MPG); MPEG2 Transport Stream (TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS), VOB, AVI, ASF, WMV, IFO, ISO; Matroska (MKV), MOV (H.264), MP4, RMP4

Audio Containers:: *same as Azbox Premium Plus *
AAC, M4A, MPEG audio (MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA), WAV, WMA, FLAC, OGG

Video Codecs:: *same as Azbox Premium Plus *
XVID SD/HD; MPEG-1; MPEG-2: MP@HL; MPEG-4.2: ASP@L5, 720p, 1-point GMC; WMV9: MP@HL; H.264: BP@L3; H.264: MP@L4.0; H.264: HP@L4.0; H.264: HP@L4.1; VC-1: MP@HL; VC-1: AP@L3

Audio Codecs::
AAC, AAC+, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, WMA, WMA Pro, MP1, MP2, MP3, LPCM, FLAC, Vorbis, DTS (Audio Pass-through), Dolby Digital Plus (Audio Pass-through)

Picture Support:: JPEG, BMP, GIF *same as Azbox Premium Plus *

Subtitle Supported :: SMI, SRT, TXT, SUB, SSA *same as Azbox Premium Plus *

Resolution :: 576i (480i), 576p, (480p), 720p, 1080i, 1080p *same as Azbox Premium Plus *

Ethernet :: 10/100 Base-T Ethernet (max.100Mbit/s) *same as Azbox Premium Plus *

Front Panel :: 1x USB 2.0; Coloured Leds & VFD; Power Button

Back Panel ::
1x HDMI; 1x Component (YcbCr); 1x RCA Video; 1x RCA Audio (L/R); 1x e-SATA
1x RJ45; 1x USB 2.0; 1x Optical S/PDIF; Power Switch;

Lateral Panel :: 1x CR Slot for PayTV (Conax)

=========================================
=========================================

CURRENT :: Azbox Premium Plus Specifications::

Operating System : Linux

Processor (CPU) :: SIGMA processor SMP 8634 LF
Working Memory :: DDR 128 MB
Video Memory :: DDR 128 MB
Flash Memory :: 8MB, SSD (DOM) 256 MB

Tuner :: Twin Tuner Embedded 1xDVB-S2 tuner from the factory.
DiSEqC :: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, USALS
HDD :: Internal HDD 2.5” or 3.5” (Easy HDD Installation) and USB HDD (optional)
Video Output :: PAL / NTSC

Video Containers:: *same as Azbox ME *
MPEG1/2/4 (M1V, M2V, M4V); MPEG1/2 PS (M2P, MPG); MPEG2 Transport Stream (TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS), VOB, AVI, ASF, WMV, IFO, ISO; Matroska (MKV), MOV (H.264), MP4, RMP4

Audio Containers:: *same as Azbox ME *
AAC, M4A, MPEG audio (MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA), WAV, WMA, FLAC, OGG

Video Codecs:: *same as Azbox ME *
XVID SD/HD; MPEG-1; MPEG-2: MP@HL; MPEG-4.2: ASP@L5, 720p, 1-point GMC; WMV9: MP@HL; H.264: BP@L3; H.264: MP@L4.0; H.264: HP@L4.0; H.264: HP@L4.1; VC-1: MP@HL; VC-1: AP@L3

Audio Codecs::
AAC, AAC+, Dolby Digital, DTS, WMA, WMA Pro, MP1, MP2, MP3, LPCM, FLAC, Vorbis, DTS (Audio Passthrough); Dolby Digital (Audio Passthrough)

Picture Support:: JPEG, BMP, GIF *same as Azbox ME *

Subtitle Supported :: SMI, SRT, TXT, SUB, SSA *same as Azbox ME *

Resolution :: 576i (480i), 576p, (480p), 720p, 1080i, 1080p *same as Azbox ME *

Ethernet :: 10/100 Base-T Ethernet (max.100Mbit/s) *same as Azbox ME *

WiFi :: 802.11 b/g miniPCI (max.54 Mbit/s)

Front Panel ::
1x Smartcard Reader; 2x CI Slots for Pay TV; 1x USB 2.0; Coloured Leds; VFD Display (11-digit. Display); Buttons: Power, CH+, CH-, Vol+,Vol-, OK; Menu, Exit, Home

Back Panel ::
1x HDMI; 1x Component (YcbCr); 1x RCA Video; 1x RCA Audio (L/R); 1x RJ45; 1x USB 2.0; 1x Optical S/PDIF; 1x Scart; Power Switch;

Dimension 340x243x66 (mm) Weight 3,195 KG (w/o HDD) Power Ac 12V 3,4A/24V,0,8a Power Supply External

The AzBox Premium Plus currently uses SMP 8634 LF processor.

The AzBox ME will have the newer processor SMP 8655.

Here is some info on the SMP 8655 processor below:
(could not find much info on the 8634 LF to give it a real compare)

Sigma Designs has introduced a pair of set-top box SoCs that run Linux. Powered by three MIPS cores apiece, the SMP8654 and SMP8655 boast accelerated graphics and compliance with HDMI (high-defintion multimedia interface) 1.3, says Sigma. The SMP8654 and SMP8655, differing only in the latter's omission of Macrovision, are designed to replace the company's "industry leading" SMP8634. And indeed, they appear to be a significant advance on it. Where the older SMP8634 had a 300MHz MIPS CPU and a 200MHz security CPU, the SMP865x chips boast triple MIPS processors, for a claimed fifty percent speed boost, according to Sigma claims:

• A 500MHz processor runs the operating system and applications
  • A 333MHz processor manages interrupts and part of the network stack
  • A 333MHz security CPU, deliberately inaccessible by external interfaces, manages authentication, key generation, and content access functions
The SMP865x chips offer high definition video decoding, including H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10), WMV, VC-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 (part 2). They also support China's home-market AVS (audio video standard). HDMI 1.3 support offers bandwidth to 340MHz, while adding support for the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD formats used by Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Other touted features for the SMP865x chips include:

• On-chip flash memory (24K for 500MHz processor, 4K for interrupt/stack processor)
  • DRM (digital rights management) engines
  • 2D graphics processor including scaling, JPEG and OpenType acceleration
  • Dual gigabit Ethernet controllers
  • Dual USB 2.0 controllers
  • DDR2 controller supporting memory up to 666Mbps
  • NAND flash controller
  • SATA controller
  • Audio I/O
  • Simultaneous HD and SD video outputs
Sigma did not cite pin compatibility with its previous SoCs, but said the SMP865x chips are software-compatible with them.
more info here on new processor here:
IPTV media processor SoC touts 50% performance improvement

and here:

SoC for STBs has triple processors - News - Linux for Devices

AzBox ME youtube video:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/v/OIQ_rbrE9_U[/video]

smp865x-tech-table.png

azbox.png

I have had an email from info@azbox.com saying that the new me will do 4.2.2, but strangely they tried to encourage me to buy the prem plus because allegedly what with the new receivers due out the prem plus has a special price at the moment. Well all i can say is that yes i can get one after haggling a private seller for £250 but here in uk they are still retailing at £320-350 mark online. I thought the new me stbs were going to be around the £180 mark and be beefed up, and on sale from august.

Interesting:
Here is my take on this, just remember they are my own thoughts and I have nothing to back it up with.
I believe that after the Me's come out and they are well received and work as planned and if they are able to record those signals that the current premium plus receivers can not, then I believe they will re-work those receivers to add the extended memory and replace some other chips on the board to make them their top of the line once again.

Or maybe they are going to quietly do this and they are trying to get rid of their old stock.

Just my 2 cents here......

Rework? How? What about the people that already own them? Tough titty?? Also, would the old style azboxes even run android?

I have no inside information either but I think OpenSat will continue selling the Premium + without modification until demand decreases and they make the business decsion to discontinue the model. Anyone want to guess how many months before the Premium+ is discontinued? ;) Somewere around the same time, history says they will introduce a new model based on the newer sigma chipset similar/same as the ME and discontinue the Premium + just as they have with all prior receivers. I certainly agree it would be cool if the Premium + was upgraded with newer processor and more memory but I think they would likely just move on to a new design.

As long as I can get one that does ~everything~ in addition to the ability to tune in S2 satelllite and OTA.

I have no inside information either but I think OpenSat will continue selling the Premium + without modification until demand decreases and they make the business decsion to discontinue the model. Anyone want to guess how many months before the Premium+ is discontinued? ;) Somewere around the same time, history says they will introduce a new model based on the newer sigma chipset similar/same as the ME and discontinue the Premium + just as they have with all prior receivers. I certainly agree it would be cool if the Premium + was upgraded with newer processor and more memory but I think they would likely just move on to a new design.

Would seem like a good business decision IMO, but then I will have 6 of those receivers here. :eek:

Would seem like a good business decision IMO, but then I will have 6 of those receivers here. :eek:

LOL, I have 3 of them myself! As Elite, Premium, Ultra and Premium plus all use the same firmware, I think we can all count on continued support (firmware updates) for quite a while longer. In addition, Enigma2 running on Azbox ME has already been demonstrated which means our current generation of receivers will continue to improve, even when the day arrives that Opensat "officially" stops supporting them.