New Carbon Interface on Hopper with Sling - positives and negatives

Handy, how ?
Because you can see if you put the receiver in a place that doesn't allow it to overheat. For example, if you have installed your receiver in a cabinet with limited space, you can check the temps to see if it is acceptable or not. Also, if you have installed an external fan like I did, you can see how well the fan is working.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm guessing that having the temperatures visible to the user created more 'problems' for Dish than it solved.

How many customers have fans cooling their receivers ? A fraction of 1% ? I've never heard of anyone being asked by tech support what temperatures either nor have they advised customers to add a fan for cooling.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm guessing that having the temperatures visible to the user created more 'problems' for Dish than it solved.

How many customers have fans cooling their receivers ? A fraction of 1% ? I've never heard of anyone being asked by tech support what temperatures either nor have they advised customers to add a fan for cooling.
Yep, you are probably right. I bet DISH can read the temps.

... I've never heard of anyone being asked by tech support what temperatures either nor have they advised customers to add a fan for cooling.
They couldn't really recommend it even if really needed, as it becomes a litigious issue "your product wasn't designed properly and overheats" ... fix or repair diligently and even if they do, they still get sued.

Funny thought ... the problems with the new UI and oddities in recording are making me think about hooking my SVHS back up so that I don't have to guess.. O:)

No option for watching which? PTAT? there is.. on the new UI .. click to go into PTAT .. you'll see the 4 network folders .. press the RED button on the 40.0 remote ... and you get the 9 square options .. #2 should be "Group By" at the bottom of its cube .. and you probably see "Network" above it .. select that square and change it to Title.

no what I'm saying is that all recordings are group by folder...there is no option to see all recordings individually without folders

no what I'm saying is that all recordings are group by folder...there is no option to see all recordings individually without folders

I would like to find out if there is an answer to this also. We are talking about the "regular" DVR screen (not PTAT or EHD, etc.). On the old UI shows were listed by record date of each individual show. Now if there is more than one show of the same thing (ie: Big Bang Theory) recorded then they are grouped together into a folder with the shows name. You have to then go into that folder and select the date that you want to watch. Is there a way to go back to the way it was or not?
Gerry

While watching TV, the phone rang and I noticed the Caller ID display didn't pop up. I looked at the caller ID history and the call was indeed there. Curious, I used another line to call myself and it was then I noticed that the CUI now displays the incoming call not in the top location as previously but now in much smaller type in the lower tight edge of the screen.
I think we can add this as one more example of the CUI taking a step backwards in format and functionality. It seems that the CUI was primarily an exercise in "change for the sake of change" unless someone can tell me what it has actually improved.

Reactions: Jim S.
They moved the location, the world did not end. Some say it's a bit too small. The smallest TV that I have is 39" and I can read the ID from 15' away...

They moved the location, the world did not end. Some say it's a bit too small. The smallest TV that I have is 39" and I can read the ID from 15' away...
No, the world did not end, the world also did not end when they did away with the 4X speeds either. It's just one more of the many annoyances from Dish.

Tonight's the first night since the update that I've had a chance to really sit and watch my TV. I'm realizing the picture doesn't look all that good since the update.

Anybody else notice anything?

Tonight's the first night since the update that I've had a chance to really sit and watch my TV. I'm realizing the picture doesn't look all that good since the update.

Anybody else notice anything?

I updated via app the night before last. Thankfully everything went well on HWS/SJ. Few things I don't like but will have to get use to the CUI I guess. PQ looks to be exactly the same as before the update. I however believe that a few folks said back a few months ago that there was a slight increase in PQ but i'm not seeing it.
Gerry

I updated via app the night before last. Thankfully everything went well on HWS/SJ. Few things I don't like but will have to get use to the CUI I guess. PQ looks to be exactly the same as before the update. I however believe that a few folks said back a few months ago that there was a slight increase in PQ but i'm not seeing it.
Gerry
What software version does your HWS have now?

Gerry

Watching this further I am seeing that recordings made prior to the update and played back after are not good. Recordings made after the update look as good as they did before the update. But no overall increase in PQ. My next best hope is that the H3 mechanically has better PQ as remarked a couple times.

Watching this further I am seeing that recordings made prior to the update and played back after are not good. Recordings made after the update look as good as they did before the update. But no overall increase in PQ. My next best hope is that the H3 mechanically has better PQ as remarked a couple times.

Interesting- we watched 2 recordings last night on new CUI that were recorded prior to the update and everything looked fine and the same as before CUI. Have no idea what you have going in your setup. As far as S/W version I have no idea, it's whatever the version is for the new CUI I suppose. Have they changed how to get to that info with the new CUI? Let me know how to do it and I will check.
Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts